Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265081 - 11/14/13 05:21 PM Nice work if you can get it...
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
My kid spent the summer doing a survey of the salmon population in Prince William Sound Alaska. Nice office, don't you think?

#265087 - 11/14/13 06:24 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Andy]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
It's rough work, but somebody has to do it!

Prince William Sound is one of the most beautiful places in the universe as we know it.

#265094 - 11/14/13 10:40 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Andy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The salmon must be awfully big if they need shotguns. Oh, wait..Could it be be that humans aren't the only creatures conducting a "survey of the salmon population" in the region?

It certainly is a beautiful - almost as good as the Channel Islands....

#265095 - 11/14/13 11:26 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The salmon must be awfully big if they need shotguns. Oh, wait..Could it be be that humans aren't the only creatures conducting a "survey of the salmon population" in the region?
The thing one always has to keep in mind in Alaska is that we humans are not necessarily at the very top of the food chain!

I'm highly skeptical of the last part of your statement. However, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Channel Islands, so I will reserve final judgement on your claim. smile

#265099 - 11/15/13 12:19 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I'm highly skeptical of the last part of your statement. However, I have not had the opportunity to visit the Channel Islands, so I will reserve final judgement on your claim. smile

For that matter,I have never been in Prince William Sound, although it may have been fly over country on my one trip to Anchorage. And possibly my attitude is just a wee bit provincial - "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...."

#265101 - 11/15/13 02:55 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Ha, I'll be there in about a month -- if work lets me take off long enough to take a boat and hike around in all that beauty! Maybe I'll even see some whales on the way there. It will be fun to be somewhere relatively warm in December.

#265105 - 11/15/13 04:46 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Very likely there will be whales - extensive pods of dolphins are almost a certainty. We may be getting winter storms by then, but the very best weather comes in the winter, in between the storm fronts.

But the islands aren't very civilized.....

#265108 - 11/15/13 06:13 AM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: AKSAR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Prince William Sound is one of the most beautiful places in the universe as we know it.

There are lots of beautiful places left in the world, but eventually they will get ruined by tourism and corruption of the resources these places have. Hopefully Prince William Sound will remain spectacularly beautiful simply because of the inhospitable weather and difficult access.

I have a soft spot for Cyprus,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CxIPyriX9U

But over the years the island has catered too much for tourism and the corrupt property speculators.

A few miles away from where I live for example.

http://www.thesidlaws.co.uk/fields-and-countryside.html

Creative landscape photography will only bring the scourge of the tourist when published on the Internet.

BTW thats where the Romans built their pontoon bridge during the 3rd Roman Invasion to cross the River Tay. wink Otherwise known as the arse hole of the World in the film 'Centurion' laugh

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/15/13 08:01 AM)

#265113 - 11/15/13 01:04 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

There are lots of beautiful places left in the world, but eventually they will get ruined by tourism and corruption of the resources these places have. Hopefully Prince William Sound will remain spectacularly beautiful simply because of the inhospitable weather and difficult access.

That is why we have national parks and comparable preserves. Competently planned and administered (key phrase), they withstand the ravages of unbridled tourism quite well. Difficult access helps a lot, as well.

#265120 - 11/15/13 07:15 PM Re: Nice work if you can get it... [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

That is why we have national parks and comparable preserves. Competently planned and administered (key phrase), they withstand the ravages of unbridled tourism quite well. Difficult access helps a lot, as well.
Not to stray too far into that cess pool that starts with "P" and ends with "olitics", but even the parks and preserves are often under intense pressure. You say "difficult access", and someone else will say "we need to build a new road".

I've mostly poked some very gentle humor at the "civilization" discussion on another thread. But getting serious for a moment, I think one mark of a modern civilized society is the preservation of a few scraps of beautiful and wild areas. Enough of the population of a civilized society needs to agree that leaving some wildlands are important for future generations, or else Am_Fear_Liath Mor's comment that "eventually they will get ruined by tourism and corruption of the resources these places have" will come true for every place. I hope people think about that.

Now I will get off my soap box, and return you to your regular programing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.