Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#264879 - 11/07/13 05:19 AM Is civilization artificial?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It just seems that we've only been at it for such a relatively short period of our history, and we never seem to get it right. They all fail sooner or later, and it seems we fall back to our old barbaric ways, more or less, every time.

I wonder if we will ever get past this need to try victimize one another. We seem to understand that it is counterproductive, but we do it anyways. I don't think we will ever be able to get past this until we develop telepathy or empathy or some such, and can feel the pain we inflict on others as if it we were doing it to ourselves. Though in some cases, I doubt that will even be an effective deterrent.

Unfortunate.

#264883 - 11/07/13 06:05 AM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: benjammin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think civilization is natural for humans, but so are the barbaric ways. For the most part I think when viewed from a distance humans are getting "better" but obviously we're not nearly where I'd like us to be yet. We will probably never get there but I expect we will keep striving to be more than we are now.

#264892 - 11/07/13 01:50 PM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: benjammin]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
its in our nature...

#264895 - 11/07/13 03:47 PM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: benjammin]
Pete Offline
Veteran

there is something inherent in our nature to form ourselves into groups, tribes, gangs. Once we do this, the "other groups" become the enemy, and competition begins. When a particular group wins and dominates the others, it starts a nation. that goes on until another nation dominates instead.

i agree. it really does seem very hard for us to get past this basic wiring in our heads.

Pete2

#264900 - 11/07/13 06:34 PM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: benjammin]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Competing is in our nature. Even born losers compete at some level. Operating within a team is a more efficient way to win. A nation is a massive team.

#264903 - 11/07/13 08:25 PM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: Pete]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Pete
there is something inherent in our nature to form ourselves into groups, tribes, gangs. Once we do this, the "other groups" become the enemy, and competition begins. When a particular group wins and dominates the others, it starts a nation. that goes on until another nation dominates instead.

i agree. it really does seem very hard for us to get past this basic wiring in our heads.

Pete2

All animals that form societies have outcasts. Also, I think it's inherent in animals that form large, very organized, and cooperative societies to go to war. IIRC, ants also have been know to wage war. Technology just allows us to do it on a larger scale.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#264904 - 11/07/13 09:53 PM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: benjammin]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
and i wonder if, in the not so distant future, man will have been nothing more than a failed biology experiment, similar to the dinosaurs. except we will cause our own extinction.

#264905 - 11/07/13 10:30 PM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: bsmith]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: bsmith
and i wonder if, in the not so distant future, man will have been nothing more than a failed biology experiment, similar to the dinosaurs. except we will cause our own extinction.

Humans are communicable disease of planets.

#264906 - 11/07/13 10:35 PM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: benjammin]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Society is artificial to a point. Look at the ever changing rules on what is and isn't "correct". Laws are all basically artificial. If there is a true natural law, it doesn't need to be enumerated, we would know it instinctively. If you look hard enough, there are no natural taboos; in some society everything "bad, evil, Bozo no-no" has been practiced. I stand firm on this, if someone wants to try and find some "natural law/taboo" that's never been broken, have at it. Hints, don't try to argue that any type of murder, cannibalism or incest are naturally taboo, you lose on the point that all have been practiced by past cultures some ritually and religiously.

The larger the group/society, the more rules you have. Never underestimate the power of stupid in large groups. Therefor, the need for rules. It gets interesting when rules change from group to group (e.g. driving laws, England v. the US), reinforcing the idea of artificial rules. Who is right? Does that make the other wrong?

As to competition, the Naked Survivors people prove that the smallest of groups - 2 - has competition to be top dog.

#264911 - 11/08/13 12:41 AM Re: Is civilization artificial? [Re: nursemike]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

To me, this video contains everything you ever need to know about civilization:

Rhett & Link's Redneck Camping Guide

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.