Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#264669 - 10/29/13 04:37 AM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
A pressure canner isn't a huge investment. Depending on where you live they can be had from around $175 or so. There are cheaper models that may work but in the US I'd say an All American from Wisconsin Foundery is one of the best deals around. All metal, no O-rings to fail or wear out, and really well made.

#264671 - 10/29/13 11:33 AM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I find the 'natural' type of canned chunk chicken breast to be an acceptable additive to recipes in a pinch. It is fairly shelf stable and is often on sale at the local supermarkets. Not that great right out of the can, but when added to soup, rice, noodles, or stew, it's not bad.

The makers of Spam also offer a lower sodium version and a turkey-based spam. The turkey variety is not bad when cubed up and used in a cooked recipe of veggies, rice, or noodles.

One concern I have with this and many other canned products is with the white lining of the cans...what's in that stuff, and how much leaches into the food?

#264681 - 10/29/13 07:49 PM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I got a few of those small crackers-and-canned meat combo's, the ham salad and the chix salad. I ate them just late last week and the expiration date was 01/2012. These are a staple in my large hurricane cooler, a cooler I keep filled with shelf stable food I can throw into the car if we need to bug out. So these are reasonably stable, I'd say. THe crackers still had plenty of crunch, and the canned contents hadn't separated or anything. Taste was perfectly fine, since I've been eating these for a couple years now, just enough for a quick lunch without being too heavy and ruining your appetite for dinner later by being too much. Great for on the go and always take a couple when we visit the theme or water parks.

#264690 - 10/30/13 03:28 AM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I think you'd find that home-canned chicken breast is not only better added to hot dishes, but also not too bad right out of the jar. I like making chicken salad out of it often. The good news, it is generally a lot less expensive in addition to tasting a lot better, and being a lot healthier.

#264692 - 10/30/13 03:52 AM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I don't can meat, but I count 6 tins of Spanish sardines in my food supply that I draw on through the year, and I just refresh it when the local Spanish specialty store has a sale on. Fresh or at least canned sardines are the bomb when sautéed in oil and served over olives and cucumbers, or with cooked eggplant. And Spam - love it. Can't get enough of it. Love it in my loco moco. Got a case of Span that will last a fair long time in the larder. I know that Spam is pretty salty but I can get past that, I find the canned corned beef to be too salty for my tastes. Hey, if we're going to be reduced to rations during a disaster, there's no reason not to eat well.

Wait and you might find Spam offered with air tight plastic lids to put on after opening, it means you don't have to eat a whole can all at once, but you can save it for a while until the loco moco calls again. I've used the same 2-3 plastic lids for years.

I can't seem to put Costco canned chicken into the family's food rotation, I donated 3-4 cans to the food bank earlier this year.

#264697 - 10/30/13 02:11 PM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: benjammin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: benjammin
First, you don't need to pre-cook the chicken, you can raw pack it and process it, and the process time in the canner is the same, so the overall process time is greatly reduced.

Assuming half a chicken per quart (unboned), or 1/4 chicken per pint (unboned), 3 chickens would do a short load in a canner. My canners will each do 6 quarts at a time, roughly two hours in the canner (15 minutes to get it up to pressure, 90 minutes at pressure, 15 minutes to let it come back down to ambient pressure). Figure half an hour prep (cutting up the chickens, stuffing the jars, putting on the lids, etc). So you could do 6 quarts in an evening easily.

But it's really a matter of priorities, and it sounds like your schedule is too full to mess around with it, so probably better for you to just buy what you need at the store and forego the trouble. If all you have is an hour or two a month, that's not going to work. It won't be as healthy for you or your family, but that isn't always the most important thing.

Thanks. If I lived somewhere more remote, I'd definitely be into canning, jelly/jams, etc. Especially someplace where the supply line can be cut off relatively easily.

If it only takes 2-3 hours, it might be feasible, eventually. Once my kid is a bit more self sufficient, a weekend "mommy & me" date at the park could give me the time I need. Now to get the wife on board ...

Besides chicken, I assume all meats could be done, correct? Not that I'd like to smash a sirloin into a jar, but things like turkey, ham, etc? I'm thinking holiday leftovers.

#264701 - 10/30/13 03:13 PM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
whole muscle meats can generally be raw packed... ground meats typically are packed in broth... not sure about fish

#264719 - 10/31/13 01:10 AM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is a very interesting thread, and it certainly intriguing to have the capability to put up your very own . But please clarify - are we talking cans (metal - tough and durable) or jars (implies glass - not so good for my preps in earthquake country). All the home canning with which I am familiar involves glass....

#264721 - 10/31/13 01:47 AM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: benjammin]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I think you'd find that home-canned chicken breast is not only better added to hot dishes, but also not too bad right out of the jar. I like making chicken salad out of it often. The good news, it is generally a lot less expensive in addition to tasting a lot better, and being a lot healthier.

It won't take much convincing, as I grew up on home canned goods. I have been looking at pressure cookers, as home canning is on my short list of projects when I semi-retire in a couple of years.

Incidentally, my chicken salad contains shredded radishes and pickles, black olives, safflower mayo, avocado, sea salt, and currants. Oh yeah, chicken too.

#264724 - 10/31/13 02:43 AM Re: Canned Meat Products - where do you draw the line? [Re: LesSnyder]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I raw pack all my salmon. Shrimp are raw packed. Not sure about mollusks.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.