Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#264578 - 10/23/13 02:24 PM Radiation underwear
Bingley Offline
Veteran

These are designed for workers at Fukushima. Hopefully we won't ever have to contemplate anything so extreme--

Radiation-Proof Underwear Protects the Goods

I'm guessing it's not really "radiation-proof." Probably just "radiation-reducing."

Image from the article:

Edited by Bingley (10/23/13 02:25 PM)

#264579 - 10/23/13 02:57 PM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: Bingley]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
our brave new world. how sad...

#264580 - 10/23/13 04:26 PM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: Bingley]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Skin will stop Alpha particles (1-3" radiation); tightly woven clothing will stop Beta particles (1-3 feet radiation), but it takes approx 14 half life thickness to stop Gamma (100-300 feet radiation) and Neutron radiation has twice the penetration of Gamma Radiation.

This underwear, IMO, is designed to give the worker a false sense of security so that the worker will go in and work.

#264581 - 10/23/13 05:50 PM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I think I'd prefer to wear a full radiation suit. Protecting Mr. Happy is all well and good, but I'd like a little protection for, oh, say maybe my heart, brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, ... too.

#264582 - 10/23/13 07:02 PM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: haertig]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig
I think I'd prefer to wear a full radiation suit. Protecting Mr. Happy is all well and good, but I'd like a little protection for, oh, say maybe my heart, brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, ... too.

Different organs have different radiation tolerance.

Blood forming organs (marrow) and testes/ovaries are most sensitive (if I remember right).

Areas like fingers can take many times the exposure of other organs.

Radiation suit is a misnomer. What you see in movies and documentaries are anti-contamination suits. They make it easy to wash you of radioactive particulate.

Only shielding blocks or reduces radiation. And shielding for gamma is pretty much just lead. Which is heavy. And it has to be pretty thick. Which is heavier. Good luck.

To work on radioactive components a survey is made to find the hottest areas then if possible, additional shielding is installed to make it safer for the worker to occupy the area. Bags of lead shot over the hottest valves in the area might be used for instance. And there will (should) be time limits and personal dosimetry carried on the worker for the purposes of tracking and monitoring exposure.

All this assumes that you don't want to hurt the worker. If they are expendable then it's a lot less trouble....

#264583 - 10/23/13 07:45 PM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: unimogbert]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: haertig

Different organs have different radiation tolerance.

Blood forming organs (marrow) and testes/ovaries are most sensitive (if I remember right).

Areas like fingers can take many times the exposure of other organs.

Radiation suit is a misnomer. What you see in movies and documentaries are anti-contamination suits. They make it easy to wash you of radioactive particulate.

Only shielding blocks or reduces radiation. And shielding for gamma is pretty much just lead. Which is heavy. And it has to be pretty thick. Which is heavier. Good luck.

To work on radioactive components a survey is made to find the hottest areas then if possible, additional shielding is installed to make it safer for the worker to occupy the area. Bags of lead shot over the hottest valves in the area might be used for instance. And there will (should) be time limits and personal dosimetry carried on the worker for the purposes of tracking and monitoring exposure.

All this assumes that you don't want to hurt the worker. If they are expendable then it's a lot less trouble....

I think you're correct. Faster growing/reproducing organ systems get hit first. Marrow, GI tract and testes tend to reproduce fastest (ovaries probably aren't, since eggs are present at birth). Hence chemo drugs tend to affect these places first, as well.

#264584 - 10/23/13 11:28 PM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Have they been field tested yet?I'll bet they get glowing reviews....

#264585 - 10/24/13 02:03 AM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: Bingley]
LED Offline
Veteran

Those guards look a little small. Do they come in XXL? whistle

#264586 - 10/24/13 02:17 AM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

i'm guessing that anyone who works at Fukushima is toast anyway :-)

Pete2

#264589 - 10/24/13 12:59 PM Re: Radiation underwear [Re: MDinana]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

[quote=MDinanaI think you're correct. Faster growing/reproducing organ systems get hit first. Marrow, GI tract and testes tend to reproduce fastest (ovaries probably aren't, since eggs are present at birth). Hence chemo drugs tend to affect these places first, as well. [/quote]

Since radiation damage is cumulative, allowing persons of child-bearing age equipped with ovaries to work in radiation areas isn't a good idea from a birth defects risk point of view.

Testes, while containing fast-growing cells which have a chance of propagating a radiation-induced defect, have their fast-growing cells changed out rather than carrying the vulnerable cells for decades. Hence allowing persons equipped with testes would be the better choice from a birth defects point of view.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.