Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#264511 - 10/20/13 04:21 AM How to vet a wilderness survival instructor?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

There is a small wilderness survival school in my area. (Actually, there are three or four schools in the 100-mile radius, but these seem to be run by gun people who think because they've hunted a few times and watched some zombie movies, they can teach survival. So I'm not considering them at all.) The instructor for this school has done formal training -- Tom Brown, Wilderness Awareness School, etc. His website is coherently written. He seems sensible and rational. His school seems to have a nature lover's bent (a good thing in my book). I have no idea whether he knows his stuff, whether he knows how to run a class, etc.

I'm planning to call him up and talk to him before I sign up for his classes. But I'm not sure how to vet a survival instructor. What questions would you ask him? How do you tell a good survival instructor from a bad one?

My exposure to real wilderness is... none. Like most people, I've seen only the part of nature that's been made safe for tourists. So I'm not sure I'd be a good judge. Thus I appeal to the wisdom of ETS!

#264513 - 10/20/13 05:07 AM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

why not just sign up and take the class? you will certainly learn some useful things from him - it may be a combo of nature observations and survival (rather than just pure survival). but he could still contribute to your understanding in many ways.

Pete2

#264514 - 10/20/13 05:22 AM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Pete]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pete
why not just sign up and take the class?

Because I want to spend my money wisely. Because I don't want to waste my time. Because I want good information.

Before you go to a doctor, you want to make sure that he is indeed a doctor -- holding an MD from an accredited institution. You want to make sure that he didn't get his "degree" from a mail-order place in Nigeria after watching three hours of video. Alas, there isn't a simple, standard certification for survival instruction, so it's hard for the prospective student to know who is qualified and who isn't.

#264516 - 10/20/13 01:23 PM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Bingley, ask for some references, preferably people who live in other towns. Contact them for their opinion of the course.

#264517 - 10/20/13 02:01 PM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Bingley - it's not that critical. if you see a doctor you have an illness, so it needs treatment. a survival class is just about instruction. if you have a real interest in survival, you should do several classes from different instructors (over the years ahead). supplement with your own reading and your own practice. the techniques only work of you do them yourself. taking the class by itself is only a starter - after that the progress is up to you. the advantage of your local guy - is that he's local. so it's easy to get to. it may be good or not. if the class is not expensive, give it a try.

any one class that you take in survival will not suddenly make you an expert, or even competent. that only comes with practice. keep in mind that "serious" classes sometimes dump you out in the middle of nowhere for 3 days, with minimal supplies. the less-serious classes might be an easier introduction.

Pete2

#264518 - 10/20/13 02:13 PM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would want to know how many survival incidents he has personally experienced - scrapes, close calls, etc. What other experiences might qualify him to teach this school?

Apparently there is not a formal certifying body like the American Society of Survival Schools (ASSS) to provide vetting...

BTW, what "part of nature has been made safe for tourists"? Are you referring to national parks and the like. If so, Iamnotso sure that is accurate - plenty of people get into trouble there...

#264520 - 10/20/13 02:51 PM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks, hikermor. I wasn't aware of the American Society of Survival Schools. Now that you've made me aware of it, I still can't find it anywhere online, though I found the International Assoc. for Survival and Safety Training. But that doesn't seem to help my little question. Before I posted my query I had searched for a list of certified instructors or accredited schools, but I walked away with the impression that it's a pretty much unregulated field, with independent schools, each with a different orientation, offering their own certification. Perhaps this is the wrong impression.

Pete, I think our approaches are just different. Maybe you're comfortable taking days off from work and dropping $600 just to find out whether this guy actually knows what he's doing, and whether he knows how to teach what he knows. If I can ascertain his quality by asking some smart questions, I'd like to do so in advance. I mean, I'll be spending days in the woods with this guy. I'd like to know that I'll be in good hands.

#264521 - 10/20/13 03:40 PM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Have you read Coy Lundin's book "98.6: Keep Your Ass Alive"? Or Kumerfeldt's book? These are the most practical I have found and focus on the proper priorities. If this guy prioritizes wrong, say food above everything else, he is a flake. Schools like these are great for learning new techniques and practicing them, but they need to teach practical skills in their proper priority. Shelter, signaling, water are your top three in order. These books will help to give you a base of knowledge from which to judge the school.

I have been to several DoD SERE schools, and I do teach it to others for a living. I have found these two books to be the best out there for real survival. There are many others that teach great techniques and skills, but a good survival school will teach you to survive in a real situation, and that means having the right priorities.

The school may still teach some great skills. Many people learn a few skills and how to do them really well. If they are teaching some particular skills that you need, and provide some good practice of those skills, it may still be worth it. Only you know what you need, and the time and resources you have available. If the school fits your needs, it will not be a waste.

Hikermor's advice is very sound. Seek out others that have attended the school and instead of asking them if it was good, have them describe the curriculum, the amount of practice, the environment and instruction. Try to get them to be as empirical as possible instead of offering assessments.

You are right that there are many people out there who profess to be experts in the field, but there are few real ones. There are no standards or any governing body to provide any standards. You will be taking a chance on the school regardless of your research.

#264523 - 10/20/13 04:55 PM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a feeling hikermor was being facetious when he mentioned the "American Society of Survival Schools (ASSS)" I think he meant to say that there is no such thing.

#264527 - 10/20/13 05:30 PM Re: How to vet a wilderness survival instructor? [Re: Bingley]
Fyrediver Offline

I think that you're best off with reviews of students and a professional resume.

Will the school provide references of former students? Can you call/email them for their comments?

Does the Instructor provide a resume/CV of training he/she's undergone? Do they have formal training as an instructor or are they self taught? Where did they get the formal training from? Military? NOLS?

Also, how long have they been in business?

If they can't, or won't, provide this information, then I'd consider going elsewhere. Also, just because someone's had lots of training doesn't mean they'll inherently be a good instructor.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.