Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#264426 - 10/16/13 11:25 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I have heard of a person using a five gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal lid.In side of it he used bucket tray organizers for different needs.These can be found at Home Depot(no afiliation)and are water proof.Their kit was designed for a bug out or camping scenario.

BOATMAN
John

#264473 - 10/18/13 03:39 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: boatman]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: boatman
I have heard of a person using a five gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal lid.In side of it he used bucket tray organizers for different needs.These can be found at Home Depot(no afiliation)and are water proof.Their kit was designed for a bug out or camping scenario.

BOATMAN
John

While waterproof, that just sounds messy. I can imagine having the "gauze" level pulled out, then you have to dig for the "tape" leve and the wind blows the gauze around (or someone kicks it as they're running around freaking out), then you have to move everything up and out for the C-collar or blanket at the bottom of the kit ...

In a dynamic scene, keeping things organized while secure is a much better plan (IMO). Something like the bucket would be good if you have time/space and a relatively controlled environment.

#264474 - 10/18/13 03:57 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I like to use ziploc bags to keep things organized. The ziploc bag doesn't need to contain only one item type. I have one that has 10 4x4's because that kit has lots of 4x4's, but another ziploc has a couple 4x4's, a 5x9, gloves and a triangle bandage. The ziploc can be organized as needed, mix and match. It's nice if a FA bag has the organization built in, but even with those bags a separate ziploc might be nice to carry items to clean up and glove up before getting into the rest of the FAK.
YMMV

#264477 - 10/18/13 05:09 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: MDinana]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Coastal Alaska can be a very damp place, so I have made up a couple of first aid kits for use in wet conditions. The most recent one is in a clear plastic roll top dry bag. Most of the items inside are vacuum sealed in individual packets. For example I took 4X4 gauze pads in groups of 2 and vacuum sealed them. A few items like groups of band aids are in small zip lock bags for quick access. The clear roll top dry bag is a smallish one, readily available at places which sell sea kayak gear.

The advantage of this system is that the whole kit is protected in the dry bag. Even if my kayak gets swamped the kit stays dry. In the clear plastic roll top bag I can see the contents inside, which makes it easier to select what I want when I open it. Because the contents are individually sealed, I can open the kit even in a howling rain storm, take out what I need, and the rest of the contents are protected from moisture.

This system has worked well for me.

#264478 - 10/18/13 05:21 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Would that be similar to the 10 Liter SealLine Eco-See Dry Bag? SealLine makes them bigger and smaller.

#264480 - 10/18/13 05:44 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Yes, I think that is the same one I used.

#264482 - 10/18/13 06:49 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Depending on your needs you might look at the Medic bags and Packs from London Bridge Trading Company (http://lbtinc)(no affiliation). I used one of their training coverage bags for quite a while (it is now being used by an MD for International Rescue work). Pricy, but of super quality. Not waterproof (although I think they made one that way at one time) but very rain resistant. Lots of loops and mesh pockets for your quick necessities. Larger pockets for removable "purpose" bags like an airway kit.

There are also others who make similar items like Tactical Tailor, but I have not worked with them myself.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#264505 - 10/19/13 08:24 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Ever think of using a 3 fold medic bag like the military does? One large main compartment, two smaller ones. All three are dual zipper closed. Not waterproof. Fairly inexpensive. Common in surplus stores. Get the nylon one, not the older cotton/canvas ones.

I use one for my main house kit. Easy to hang, quick to open. YMMV.

#264590 - 10/24/13 02:48 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

After taking the NOLS/WMI Wilderness First Aid course I started looking at the NOLS Med Kits. One of the "kits" is an empty bag -- NOLS-Med-Kit-Bag -- which by way of a side-by-side comparison I found to be identical to the AMK Weekender in dimensions and layout. The only difference I can see is that the NOLS Med Kit is red instead of blue.

IMO this is a very useful size bag for small groups. It may not be as big as the single kit that Jeanette links to in her Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit Thread, but it may be more convenient for smaller groups or individuals who want to tailor their kit(s).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.