Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#264475 - 10/18/13 04:39 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: Bingley]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I use a pelican 1510 roller bag (er...box). It is a pelicanbox on wheels. Heavy but solid. Meets carry on specs. Considering the quality the $130 price delivered seems cheap. Mine carries mostly electronics (1/2) and my necessary stuff (1/2).

Checkbag is an ospery. Many styles to choose from. Pricy but excellent quality.

Nomad.

#264476 - 10/18/13 04:47 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: MartinFocazio]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
There are two kinds of bags:
Carry-on and Lost.
I only check bags if there's really no other option - and yes, that means I travel without a knife.
I usually check a bag because when I travel, even on business, I generally like to take advantage of whatever outdoor recreational opportunities (hiking, etc) might be available near my destination. For that reason I usually check a bag with boots and/or other gear.

I travel fairly regularly, but by and large I have not had a problem with lost baggage. Part of the reason may be that typically my trips are on a single airline with at most two flight legs. That being said, I always make it a habit to pack a minimum of stuff in my carryon to get me through at least two days at my destination. In my carryon I always have a couple of changes of undies, a clean shirt, etc. Some of the new easy care clothing made from synthetics is really handy, since in a pinch you can wash it in a hotel sink and it will dry overnight. One nice thing is that in today's more casual business environment I never need to wear a suit anymore.

The one time in recent memory where a bag did get lost (actually not lost bu only delayed for one day) was on a trip to Europe which involved multiple connections on multiple airlines. However, since I followed my usual practice of having the minimum I need in my carryon that was only a minor inconvenience.

I recently aquired an iPad mini, and I absolutely love it for travel. It is lightweight and compact, and I can check email, web surf, and even do minor word processing etc, without the hassle of carrying a laptop. These days when I travel my laptop stays at home, unless I know I will need it for some specific purpose. I realize other people have different requirements when they travel. In some lines of work a suit and tie is essential, as is a laptop. But for me a day pack and small brief case as carryon, and my old Eagle Creek rolling bag for checked luggage does the job, even on fairly long trips.

#264489 - 10/18/13 10:49 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: Bingley]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Don't forget there are also weight limitations on carry on bags, as well as size restrictions.

If you're flying domestically in the US, the requirements are fairly generous (around 40-50 lbs). However, international flights have much stricter weight limits, sometimes <20 lbs, and even some as low as 15 lbs. This will make a big difference in the type of bag you choose, as some bags weigh almost 8 lbs empty. As far as I know, most airlines aren't enforcing these limits very strictly, but at one time they also didn't use to be so strict on the size limit either. It's really up to the discretion of the screener.

One way to avoid this is (if you're not checking bags) to wear all your heavy and bulky clothes (boots and jackets) through the screening process, then pack it back in the bag when you're through. So far, there's no limitation to how much you can carry on yourself.

#264496 - 10/19/13 03:31 AM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: ducktapeguy]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have one similar in size to this one (20x14x9):
http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggage-Maxlite-Expandable-Spinner/dp/B007BY2GPU/ref=cts_ap_2_cts

Mine is made by Atlantic and is a bit smaller, 18x14x9 (that's the bag size - if you count the wheels it's more like 19x14x9). And mine only has two wheels, so you have to tilt it to roll it. The newer ones all seem to have four wheels so you can spin and twist them every-which-way.

I bought this size specifically because it fits under the seat on a 737. So if all the overheads are full from the fools that drag ridiculously huge things onboard, I can still get mine under the seat. I do not have to check it due to the inconsiderate others who carryon everything including the kitchen sink and fill up all the overheads.

I don't normally carry suits, but when I have they've come out of this little bag just fine. I turn them inside-out and fold carefully.

My biggest criteria for a carryon is that it MUST fit under a seat. That way I'm not at the mercy of the rude overhead bin hogs. If there's room, I'll put it in the overhead. But on every flight I've taken recently, the bin hogs never leave any room.

I have a Kelty Redwing 44 backpack that I wanted to take on my last trip, but I didn't. While that pack would fit in an overhead, I highly doubt it would fit under a seat. So it got left at home in favor of my "I know it will fit" bag. When I have to take a laptop, that goes in my little bag too. No seperate laptop bag. One and only one carryon for me. I do not like to be forced to check bags - period.

#264502 - 10/19/13 06:13 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks, everyone! That's some food for thought. I'm sure now to find something that will carry my work clothes on the plane!

#264503 - 10/19/13 07:32 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: ducktapeguy]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
Don't forget there are also weight limitations on carry on bags, as well as size restrictions.

This touches on the trade off that I run into on my international flights. Wheels and ridged frames are really nice and convenient, but eat into weight, which reduces effective load, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the frames (or lack of) give more flexibility to "stuff" into overhead spaces or under the seat.

That's why I found out (by accident) on my last trip to Europe why the light "gym duffel bag" so useful in the carry on role. Very light and inexpensive. Pick your size and stuff it.

I don't have to worry about business suits anymore, so that is not an issue. When I did (before retirement), I did, even in the less restrictive days of airline flight and carry ons, resort to the trick of hanging the suit in the hotel/motel bathroom, and running the shower nice and hot, building up the steam and ending up with a wrinkle free suit. Martin's advice is right on: if you need a suit, wear it! And put a clean dress shirt and tie in your carry on.

I hate checking baggage. On occasion, I've waited longer for a checked bag than the flight took, not to mention the damage to and theft out of checked bags.

On the rare occasion I do check a bag, there is nothing in it that I can't do without or afford to lose.

#264508 - 10/19/13 11:48 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: Bingley]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Exactly bws48! The only time I've checked my duffel was once when I overstuffed it too full for a LaGuardia USAir agent to allow it past boarding, and another time when my host dropped two bottles of very nice Rioja on me literally at the curb side, and I had to improvise padding and packaging to protect them from breaking several thousand miles getting home as checked baggage.

Another travel tip is when your collateral picked up overseas or out of town gets too heavy to truck halfway across the planet, FedEx or DHL does wonderful delivering it to me back in the US. Inexpensive and fast. And for delivery of wine, I've only had to come down to SeaTac customs once to fill out the declaration, otherwise import what's within your personal limit and you will often find the box of wine at destination within a day of your arrival. I know of travelers who do nothing but ship their checked bags to their hotel at destination, although I'm too cheap to do that.

Travel light, travel smart. Light is way more fun too.

#264522 - 10/20/13 03:43 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

With the charges for checked bags, FedEx, UPS, and the other services are now a really viable option. I have used them several times to ship things to the hotel I would be staying in, and as long as I notified the hotel in advance, they never had any issues with it. It was cheaper than checking my bags and saved some hassle.

#264557 - 10/21/13 06:29 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: Bingley]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I will take a slightly different track. For a carry-on bag I normally use a clean (not much stuff hanging on the outside) daypack (currently a GR1, wish I had bought the 2). It can carry a minimum of overnight gear and the things I want (and can carry on) on board. If folded carefully, I have little trouble packing a suit, but if I need one I usually wear it.

For a check bag (I need to check a bag on most flights with the gear I need to carry) I have gone back many years and am using a Zero Halliburton case. It is light and rugged. It fulfills the requirement for a hard sided case for those items that require it. I retrieved an old instrument case, changed the lock for TSA and plan on sending it back to have a suitcase lining put in. I use a homemade foam (old ensolite pad) insert to carry delicate stuff that is not allowed in the cabin and pack my clothes around it. Like others I have never LOST a bag, although I have had several delayed for a few hours to a few days. Flight planning helps, I have seldom had a bag delayed on nonstop flights.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#264596 - 10/24/13 10:03 PM Re: Air travel: need bag recommendations [Re: Bingley]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Travel in the clothes you will wear at the presentation. Carry-on some lightweight casual clothing. Consider using overnight mail to send your non-tsa compliant edc gear to your destination. or give it up, and change your edc to a bic lighter, emt shears, and a fak. How much do you really need?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.