Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#264382 - 10/15/13 05:23 PM Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm looking for a new way to store and carry my large first aid kit. I managed to cut myself in my thumb and messing with my first aid kit, I wasn't totally happy with what I had.

Currently I have a clipbox with a tray inside. I put the small and regularly used stuff on top in the tray, under need are the larger things. I had to dig for the gauze, because it was under the things needed for larger injury's. I choose the clipbox because it's light weight, rainproof, inexpensive, can be organised and the clips are far easier to open than zippers. Currently thinking of just getting a larger clipbox and add dividers/trays.

But I would like more input on what to get. Anybody know a different system which can be easily be moved, organized, easily accessible with one hand and is rainproof?

#264384 - 10/15/13 06:29 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
soft or hard case?

#264388 - 10/15/13 06:56 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
something like a soft roll... USNERDOC AMP 3 "Outfitter" kit, reviewed by beast 12101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcYeRikYEoo

Edited by LesSnyder (10/15/13 06:58 PM)

#264389 - 10/15/13 08:01 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: MDinana]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
soft or hard case?

Doesn't matter to me. As long as you can access everything easily. Too many zippers or small pockets are the things that worries me, I like to be able to easily get things out when I'm having to give first aid to my self.

As for the softroll, they look a bit too small for my large FAK, but i'll need to take a good look at it.

#264394 - 10/15/13 11:21 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The AMP 3 kit is very similar to the bag that I carried for years. Mine was a clamshell that unzipped and spread flat so that the contents were visible. Rather than pockets, it used elastic loops to hold items, thus enhancing their visibility. I eventually sewed up my own version which is still in use as my vehicle kit. Definitely stay away from pockets; they conceal to much and someone else might be delving in your bag for a desperately needed item (in the rain, in the dark).

I eventually added a small, free floating bag which contained the items I would need right away (BP cuff, stethoscope, gauze). It simply floated loose in the interior of the bag. I kept carabiners handy so that it could hang, if needed.

#264397 - 10/16/13 01:58 AM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I've assembled a first aid kit for my dog and use an LL Bean "personal" sized cooler to hold everything.

Works great, has a nice carry handle, pockets on the sides and front and a handy shoulder strap. REI's personal cooler is a bit taller and would work well, too.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63702?feat=cooler-SR0&page=softpack-cooler-personal

#264404 - 10/16/13 05:29 AM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Personally, I like the idea of using the zippered bags that curtains come packaged in. I put five "quick kits" inside that have items generally needed for situations such as yours. The quick kits are in quart-sized zip-locks and are designed to be just pulled out and tossed to a person who needs one or who is helping. I also have other items in there besides the quick kits. I know the zippered bag isn't exactly the most robust carrier, but in a backpack or car-based case it should be fine.

My $.02

#264407 - 10/16/13 08:15 AM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Personally I like the Maxpedition F.I.G.H.T. bag. Lots of room for a pretty compact kit.

#264416 - 10/16/13 01:37 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I use a duffel bag, which obviously isn't waterproof. However, there are plenty of fishing tray options out there that could help you organize things. The duffel I have has an outer pocket on either end, 2 on the sides, and a main bag/pouch.

Many, many options out there. I suggest you peruse Galls.com, North American Rescue, Dyna-Med ... Depending on the size of your kit and budget, you can usually find a great bag or hard case to help organize. At the very least, see what you don't like and find features you do.

#264423 - 10/16/13 07:36 PM Re: Looking for a case/bag for a large first aid kit [Re: Tjin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, if you want a larger EMT-type bag Galls has a terrific assortment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.