Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#264243 - 10/11/13 05:40 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
The key is the pressure. The bare hand is just as good as anything else. The problem is that you will probably want your hand back at some time or another. In my early days on an ambulance (before the EMT existed) I often used my hand directly. It is lots better to use something else, mostly because as the bleeding slows you can wrap the gauze, towel, etc. without removing the pressure. Most of the time we used gauze pads or kotex and Ace wraps. Hold the pad while you apply the Ace. The big advantage of combat wraps (before clotting agents) was that you could apply pressure without keeping your hand in place (you might want it for other reasons).

The sterile pad is also good because it doesn't add anything undesireable to the wound.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#264257 - 10/12/13 12:13 AM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: JerryFountain]
JHertig Offline
Stranger

Loc: Arizona
I'm not sure how effective the clotting agents are. I was watching a cooking show and one of the chefs chopped off the tip of her finger. They put a powder on it, presumably a clotting agent, and it still squirted. Eventually they resorted to bandaging and the show continued.

Perhaps it was not a clotting agent (or a GOOD clotting agent), or perhaps fingertips don't have enough surface area for it to work well.

Of course, just because it was on TV, even a 'reality' show, does not mean it was a reliable source of information...

#264259 - 10/12/13 12:47 AM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
What I have been told by a paramedic and former combat medic is that Combat Gauze saves lives. I've never used it myself.

#264260 - 10/12/13 01:20 AM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: JHertig]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: JHertig
I'm not sure how effective the clotting agents are. I was watching a cooking show and one of the chefs chopped off the tip of her finger. They put a powder on it, presumably a clotting agent, and it still squirted. Eventually they resorted to bandaging and the show continued.

Perhaps it was not a clotting agent (or a GOOD clotting agent), or perhaps fingertips don't have enough surface area for it to work well.

Of course, just because it was on TV, even a 'reality' show, does not mean it was a reliable source of information...

Fingertips are tough cuz the shape makes it hard to get good pressure on the wound, and the injury is often an avulsion rather than a laceration-a piece is missing, and lots of little vessels are bleeding. There is a product called tubegauze that permits good pressure and an esthetically pleasing finger dressing. Sometimes it is little too effective, and the resultant pressure can cause damage to healthy tissue. The most elegant solution to big vessel bleeding is to reach in with a hemostat-that little locking forcep that emt's and nurses clip to their uniforms- to reach in and clamp the vessel. That's how the device got its name hemo/blood+ stasis/halt= hemostat. Usually followed by tying off the vessel with a suture. Usual disclaimers: don't try this at home, use only those techniques for which you have training...

#264261 - 10/12/13 01:29 AM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My experience has been almost all before clotting agents were available. Mostly in backwoods/wilderness settings, we saw mostly trauma generated from falls, plane and auto crashes, etc. I do recall some gunshot wounds. One of the bloodiest incidents98 was a virtual arm amputation (the victim walked into a spinning rear rotor).

Direct pressure always worked; I can't recall even using pressure points. Never even thought of applying a tourniquet. Battlefield injuries are a different kettle of fish, and it does seem that clotting agents are useful. For what i might face going into the woods, i am confident that I can get along without clotting agents.

Browsing in REI the other day, I read the directions on a packet of Quik-Clot. Basically, it said to apply the product to the wound and then apply direct pressure (!). For my likely situations, I am comfortable packing more gauze pads and ace bandages, omitting clotting agents. Versatility is highly desirable in a backwoods FAK.

#264262 - 10/12/13 02:36 AM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I use gauze pads, sometimes many, but the bigger the bleed the more you need. I have a few individually wrapped sterilized gauze pads in all my FAKs, but I also carry bandanas and maxi pads in all my kits, not only for their intended purposes but also for big bleeds. (They work great for splints as well.)

I got a pretty good cut this on my thumb webbing this summer, and the first thing I had on hand (LOL!) was my bandana. Worked great for immediate pressure!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#264267 - 10/12/13 03:37 AM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The missing fingertip is a tough one for hemostatic agents. I've taken my fingertip off a couple times, pretty much direct pressure and let it bleed til it wants to clot. As a PA buddy of mine likes to say, "all bleeding stops." Of course, he has a dark sense of humor!

#264274 - 10/12/13 01:10 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
A comment on gloving before applying direct pressure. Do It!
I was working on an open heart team in Georgia roughly 25 years ago and went to a blood born pathogens talk. The infectious disease doc speaking told of a nurse who applied direct pressure to a spurting wound in a local E.R. She later was diagnosed with HIV. She apparently contracted the virus through unbroken skin. She had no other risk factors for HIV.
I was walking down the hall of a telemetry nursing unit a couple of years ago and saw an elderly woman sitting on the side of her bed. She was naked, had pulled her Foley catheter, surgical dressing, and I.V. out and was smearing the blood from her arm on her body, face, hair. I ran in and applied direct pressure to her arm with her discarded gown while calling for help. Before the nurses got there, she managed to scratch my knuckle with her fingernail and break the skin. We both had blood drawn for antibodies and, fortunately, she was negative for anything of significance. If I had gloves available and wore them, I would have been saved the worry.

#264276 - 10/12/13 02:02 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: JPickett]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
+1 on gloves. Since taking the WFA course I've started to EDC a pair of nitrile gloves loose in my right thigh pocket -- very accessible. My various FAK''s all have 2 pair. In a first aid situation the gloves will be on before first contact.

#264307 - 10/14/13 08:49 AM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: Russ]
JHertig Offline
Stranger

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Russ
+1 on gloves. Since taking the WFA course I've started to EDC a pair of nitrile gloves loose in my right thigh pocket -- very accessible. My various FAK''s all have 2 pair. In a first aid situation the gloves will be on before first contact.

What is the risk (to the patient) of using non-sterile gloves?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.