Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#256926 - 02/26/13 06:26 PM free kindle books of possible interest
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL

Bob

#256949 - 02/27/13 06:43 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Bob

#256950 - 02/27/13 06:54 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Anyone have a booklist for Kindle's competitor - Kobo? smile
I got the e-reader for Christmas and I need to populate it with some good books to read.

#256957 - 02/27/13 11:34 PM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: Roarmeister]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
If you read sci-fi (in particular Baen Publishing authors), try the Fifth Imperium. They occasionally bind a CD of some of the author's works in new releases. The CD's are free to loan or give copies but not sell.

#256962 - 02/28/13 03:17 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: UTAlumnus]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
If you read sci-fi (in particular Baen Publishing authors), try the Fifth Imperium. They occasionally bind a CD of some of the author's works in new releases. The CD's are free to loan or give copies but not sell.

There are several books in the baen free library that you can download. no DRM at all on any of their titles.

many of the books in the free library are the first book in a series.

I personally have several hundred baen books in my library, most bought and paid for, but some from the free library.

http://www.baen.com/library/

Sadly, at one time the free library had several dozens of books in it, but for whatever reasons they have cut way back on them.

some good stuff if you like SF, including some really good military SF. also some alternate history.

I just finished rereading 1632. Great alternate history/SF.

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-379-1632.aspx

Edited by ILBob (02/28/13 03:19 AM)

Bob

#256963 - 02/28/13 03:22 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: Roarmeister]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

Anyone have a booklist for Kindle's competitor - Kobo? smile
I got the e-reader for Christmas and I need to populate it with some good books to read.

I don't know what a Kobo is. I purchased a number of ebooks from fictionwise before they went under and were taken over by BN. I can still read them in the nook reader.

Bob

#256985 - 03/01/13 12:14 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

I don't know what happened to the Library (and it's lost a LOT of titles). They have just moved them from the Library but many are still free downloads. Several of the authors that were in there are on the CD's available at the Fifth Imperium web site. They're how I loaded 90% or more of the fiction on my reader. Non-fiction is mostly rtf/text files and PDF's.

#256986 - 03/01/13 01:14 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Sadly, some of the changes since Jim Baen passed away have not been for the better. They did away with almost all of the benefit of their ebook bundle pricing.

#256992 - 03/01/13 05:29 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: chaosmagnet]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

+1

I don't think I've seen one of the bound in CD's since his passing.

#256994 - 03/01/13 07:35 AM Re: free kindle books of possible interest [Re: chaosmagnet]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
> They did away with almost all of the benefit of their ebook bundle pricing.

Hmmm?

I've been buying the Baen Monthly Bundles religiously since 2003.

I paid $18 for last month's bundle, vs. the $56 I would have paid "a la carte". Granted, part of that difference is that Baen just raised the price of individual ebooks, but did not increase the price of the bundles.

Perhaps you were alluding to the period a year or two back when the price on the bundles was raised, but not the individual books. That was probably the point of minimum relative benefit.

Granted, given my purchase history and the fact that most books in a given bundle are from the "back list", there were only three books in the latest bundle I didn't have, and I could have got them for $22 "a la carte". However, for newer customers that haven't amassed the 600+ Baen ebook library I have, I think the bundles are definitely worth considering.

What's going on:

The changes in the last few months were apparently conditions set by Amazon in exhange for letting Baen sell their books for the Kindle. There's some discussion of this at the top of the Baen Free Library page.

This Amazon deal doesn't seem great for Baen customers:
  • You now have to buy the monthly bundle in advance - it isn't available after general release
  • The price of individual ebooks was raised significantly
  • Most of the books in the Baen Free Library disappeared

While last two items don't have much direct impact on me ( I buy each monthly bundle, and little else) it would seem to me that the relative attractiveness of Baen to new book buyers has taken a step down.

However, at the moment I will still recommend Baen, with the DRM-free books (I read mine in three different formats on three different devices) and the monthly bundles still being strong points, in my opinion.

Mitigations:

Getting (former) Baen Free Library Ebooks

As it has for a long time, the site The Fifth Imperium hosts (with Baen's permission) downloadable images of the Baen CDs full of ebooks that Baen distributed freely with some of the hardcover books. There must be over 100 of my favorite books on those CDs. The one change noted at the Fifth Imperium regarding the recent changes is that, at Baen's request, the site no longer permits downloads of individual ebooks - you have to download the full CD image that contains the book(s) you want.

Of course, the recent changes emphasize that good things don't last forever, so if you haven't sucked down those CD images, now might be a good time. (Along those lines, while, generally, you can redownload any of your past ebook purchases from Baen site itself in any (of the many) formats they support, Baen does mention that once the copyright reverts to the author, they may no longer be permitted to provide that service for such books, so backing up your ebooks in the formats you may want in the future is still prudent.)

Getting the Baen Monthly Bundles

The meticulous thing is: put a monthly alert on your calendar to buy before the deadline, then wait patiently until after the release date to download. (The impatient thing is - download immediately at purchase (obtaining the "3/4" version in some cases) and redownload the full ebooks after general release. The "back issues" of the monthly bundles are, alas not available. Had I known this was coming, I would have taken a hard look at the pre-2003 bundles I had not purchased (I had purchased 7 of the year 2000 bundles, thankfully).

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.