Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#263743 - 09/26/13 03:05 PM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Thanks for the vicarious trip - especially the pix of you and the baby. Good on you for insuring that at least some children still know what is on the other side of the walls. Thanks!

When erecting a tarp in this kind of situation, I find the easiest way is to use two ropes, one at the high end and one at the low end. make sure there is an reasonable amount of slope to keep the water off. Tie one end to tree then make a small loop where you want a corner of the tarp. Slip the loop through the grommet and place a small stick or other object through the loop and pull snug. Do this with all the grommets and tie off to the other tree with a sliding knot. This allows you to move the tarp if necessary. The trees don't need to be in a straight line with the position of the tarp. Not my idea, I was shown it YEARS ago by one of my mentors. Been using it for all those years any time I put up a tarp and there are trees. Saves LOTS of work trying to set up some type of poles.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#263746 - 09/26/13 04:54 PM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: JerryFountain]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
When erecting a tarp in this kind of situation, I find the easiest way is to use two ropes, one at the high end and one at the low end. make sure there is an reasonable amount of slope to keep the water off. Tie one end to tree then make a small loop where you want a corner of the tarp. Slip the loop through the grommet and place a small stick or other object through the loop and pull snug. Do this with all the grommets and tie off to the other tree with a sliding knot. This allows you to move the tarp if necessary. The trees don't need to be in a straight line with the position of the tarp. Not my idea, I was shown it YEARS ago by one of my mentors. Been using it for all those years any time I put up a tarp and there are trees. Saves LOTS of work trying to set up some type of poles.

That is freakin' GENIUS.

#264201 - 10/11/13 03:55 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Bungee cords are better. They save you a lot of fiddling about.

I do have bungees in my BOB, Leigh, but just keep some paracord in my day hike kit because it's lighter and hopefully the shelter won't be used long.

In this case, I was practicing my knots and lashings, and decided on a ridge beam instead of just a ridge line as a bit of practice in building a shelter out of natural materials. If the weather really did kick up, I could easily have added poles to make a more substantial lean-to or a-frame. I was actually hoping to get to do that that day but bacpacbaby had other ideas. smirk

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#264202 - 10/11/13 03:57 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: JerryFountain]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Thanks for the vicarious trip - especially the pix of you and the baby. Good on you for insuring that at least some children still know what is on the other side of the walls. Thanks!

Respectfully,

Jerry

I love that idea, Jerry. It would be a lot quicker. I've done the stick method with a ridge line before but never thought of doing it at the back too. DUH! Thanks!

#264264 - 10/12/13 03:09 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks guys. She's growing fast! She a crawler and has started walking, so she's increasingly less content in her stroller. Luckily she loves looking around and singing along to the bumps on the stroller. We're logging less miles and I have to strategize my use of time, especially for fire, a little more.

Chisel, like you, I love living vicariously through other people's trips. It really helps the cabin fever and I always learn something. I figure I should give back and share some of mine too. Not that my trips are epic adventures or anything, and I'm no cinematographer like Les Stroud, but I've learned a lot from your guys. I also hope they'll inspire an idea in someone else, or help some other sleep deprived parent realize that it is possible to get dirt time with a little rug rat in tow. wink

#264268 - 10/12/13 03:39 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
This is one time I'm actually looking forward to summer ending! It's been so hot and muggy in SD that I'm anxious for fall and even winter to get out and hike/camp. My favorite time of year is fall right after that first bug killing front. It's great to sit by the fire at night and not need any DEET.

#264277 - 10/12/13 06:52 PM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: Phaedrus]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
This is one time I'm actually looking forward to summer ending! It's been so hot and muggy in SD that I'm anxious for fall and even winter to get out and hike/camp. My favorite time of year is fall right after that first bug killing front. It's great to sit by the fire at night and not need any DEET.

So you were OK with the 3 1/2 feet of snow in some parts of the state last week? shocked I thought that was bizarre having snow and tornadoes in the same general area! And yet 400 miles directly NORTH in Canada, we were basking in sunshine.

#264280 - 10/12/13 07:46 PM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It's strange- Rapid City got a few feet of snow. In Sioux Falls, where I live, it was about 45 degrees F but otherwise beautiful. It was a bizarre store, a friend from Rapid said a couple days later all the snow was gone, no trace of it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.