Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#264215 - 10/11/13 12:13 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: MDinana]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Gold (and to a lesser extent, silver, or heck, any precious gem) have value only because people want them to have value. In practical terms, they're near useless.
Their uselessness is part of what makes them a good store of value. Useful things get used up, so they don't last.

Gold emerged as a standard in the past for good historical reason, and those reasons still apply today. It's rare, it doesn't rust or perish, and it is hard to forge. You can mix it with lesser metals, but that's relatively easy to detect by weighing and volume measurement. Gold in a standard form, eg coins, is even easier to validate. Arguably gold is even more likely to become the basis of an economy in future, because of its past. It has a track record. People know it works. They'll expect it.

I think in an initial crisis, people will hope it will end in a few weeks or months, and even uneducated ones will know they'll be able to sell gold for a decent value when its over. So there will be a viable gold economy quite quickly. There's no reason why that shouldn't last, as long as there are humans living above subsistence level to trade with.

#264217 - 10/11/13 12:59 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: Brangdon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Gold (and to a lesser extent, silver, or heck, any precious gem) have value only because people want them to have value. In practical terms, they're near useless.
Their uselessness is part of what makes them a good store of value. Useful things get used up, so they don't last.Gold emerged as a standard in the past for good historical reason, and those reasons still apply today. It's rare, it doesn't rust or perish, and it is hard to forge. You can mix it with lesser metals, but that's relatively easy to detect by weighing and volume measurement. Gold in a standard form, eg coins, is even easier to validate. Arguably gold is even more likely to become the basis of an economy in future, because of its past. It has a track record. People know it works. They'll expect it.

I think in an initial crisis, people will hope it will end in a few weeks or months, and even uneducated ones will know they'll be able to sell gold for a decent value when its over. So there will be a viable gold economy quite quickly. There's no reason why that shouldn't last, as long as there are humans living above subsistence level to trade with.

Interesting take on the perspective.

One of the things that's been mentioned several times on this thread is the usefullness of jewelry. Maybe it would be more worthwhile to stock that than coins?

#264220 - 10/11/13 01:15 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just a few tidbits of my wife's family history that might be pertinent here. Her father was born near Ulan Bator, Outer Mongolia, of Russian parents who were leaving Russia as a result of the 1918 revolution. Moving east through Siberia, one of the most useful barter items for food were sewing needles!

On the other hand, the valuables they were carrying came in handy when,closely pusued by the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. forces, the sled containing the family jewels overturned,diverting their pursuers, and giving them time to escape..

Figure out what commodity will be scarce and valued, remembering that gold, etc. have a long history and plenty of admirers......

Footnote: Geez, that didn't take long... I had no idea the censors were up and on the job so early

Edited by hikermor (10/11/13 01:16 PM)

#264224 - 10/11/13 02:13 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just a few tidbits of my wife's family history that might be pertinent here. Her father was born near Ulan Bator, Outer Mongolia, of Russian parents who were leaving Russia as a result of the 1918 revolution. Moving east through Siberia, one of the most useful barter items for food were sewing needles!

On the other hand, the valuables they were carrying came in handy when,closely pusued by the -------- forces, the sled containing the family jewels overturned,diverting their pursuers, and giving them time to escape..

Figure out what commodity will be scarce and valued, remembering that gold, etc. have a long history and plenty of admirers......

Footnote: Geez, that didn't take long... I had no idea the censors were up and on the job so early

No kidding. I can get some ambien if someone needs it. laugh

Now I really want to know what you called them. I can't imagine any of the terms in my head are inappropriate. Especially since we're talking about history, unless you were using some derogatory slang word.

Edited by MDinana (10/11/13 02:13 PM)

#264227 - 10/11/13 02:29 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: MDinana]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Now I really want to know what you called them. I can't imagine any of the terms in my head are inappropriate. Especially since we're talking about history, unless you were using some derogatory slang word.

He referred to a movement to create a classless, moneyless social order structured upon common ownership of the means of production.

Jeanette Isabelle

#264228 - 10/11/13 02:32 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm guessing it starts with "C" and ends with "ist". or were they called Bolsheviks at the time. Regardless, as used it's not really a political comment.

#264234 - 10/11/13 03:08 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

He referred to a movement to create a classless, moneyless social order structured upon common ownership of the means of production.

I had no idea I was so learned,but, of course, you are absolutely correct...

#264244 - 10/11/13 05:45 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
When you see "PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSSHOULDKNOWBETTER" replacing something you wrote, that is an automated system on the board and not something in the control of me or the other deputies.

chaosmagnet

#264250 - 10/11/13 07:21 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: chaosmagnet]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
When you see "PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSSHOULDKNOWBETTER" replacing something you wrote, that is an automated system on the board and not something in the control of me or the other deputies.

chaosmagnet

Thanks for the insight. Censoring a political affiliation used in a historical context would be pretty heavy handed; glad you're not!

#264251 - 10/11/13 07:46 PM Re: No politics please - Upcoming furlough [Re: MDinana]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thanks for the insight. Censoring a political affiliation used in a historical context would be pretty heavy handed; glad you're not!

My pleasure.

When I edit a post that wasn't mine to begin with, I use this color and I mark the post as edited. I believe the other deputies do the same.

In addition to the movement to create a classless, moneyless social order structured upon common ownership of the means of production (thank you, Jeanette_Isabelle!) there are several other words that are banned by the automated system. Some are replaced as you saw above, others are replaced with "[censored]" or "SomePolitician".

While I could find a way to share the list with you, I won't. Help me and the other deputies out by not trying to figure out each entry.

chaosmagnet

Edited by chaosmagnet (10/11/13 07:47 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.