Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#264212 - 10/11/13 11:49 AM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: Pete]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Pete
so did these people eventually get some clothes, or tie on some fig leaves? Or did they just get 4'th degree sunburn and really bad tick bites???
Some do and some don't. The locations are generally warm enough for that not to be a factor, and often they don't care about prudery. Some of them do make crude clothing. One woman made herself a bra, but didn't bother with a loin-cloth, so presumably she was more worried about comfort than modesty. One chap got wiped out by sunburn on the first day. Another guy got a thorn in his foot that eventually warranted a medical evacuation. The lack of clothes does make the challenge harder - although a swimming costume would do as well, and be less distracting. The production blurs out any naughty bits (apart from bottoms which are apparently OK), quite aggressively. I'd prefer more clothing and less blurring.

I've seen more episodes now. I'm really struck by how long it takes them to make fire - several days, even when they know how, if they don't have a fire-starter.

#264229 - 10/11/13 02:52 PM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: Pete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Pete
so did these people eventually get some clothes, or tie on some fig leaves?

I only saw a few episodes. One time a man made something from the skin of an animal he speared. He got food and clothing.

Jeanette Isabelle

#264230 - 10/11/13 02:54 PM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: Tyber]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I don't watch reality shows, I don't feel they're realistic.

#264263 - 10/12/13 02:59 AM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Ok, I've watched a few episodes and my review is mixed. It's entertaining and I really like how most of them come off as closer to what an average Joe would be like in a similar situation.

I just can't get over the nakedness. Some of them seem to be pretty smart about it, and make or find a little clothing but... when the guy was squatting on the log snake hunting with his rod and tackle hanging out. eek!

And, well... the guy that drank from the stream in the jungle and had to be medivaced out.... and the guy who got a major sunburn on day one and then [censored] the rest of the time.... and the guy how whined like a little girl the whole time....

I think we need a new survival show showing a competent woman! ROAR!

Are you calling me??? smile Or is this a play on Kitty Purry's video?

I saw all the shows. Quite frankly, getting past the nudity was pretty easy for me. The survival aspects of the show were driving my interest.

The lack of clothing just proved to me that it is a vital survival possession. The right clothing (and footwear) for the right conditions and you have a fighting chance. Without any clothing and you have little protection from the elements (sun, wind, rain, insects, rocks, etc). Either you have to make some sort of cover or you do without. The one gal who weaved herself a hat and a matt knew instinctively what to do. Her survival skills and her mental attitude stood out among the players.

The nudity - that's what set this show apart from the others. Was it a titillating gimmick? Perhaps, but it also was strategic to prove the point that clothing is underrated as your #1 protection.

What I didn't like was the use of only 1 show for the 21 days out in the wilderness. They could have used 2 shows for that because it was obviously that they were doing more survival activities that they were not showing and a couple of the activities were shown on the website.

#264269 - 10/12/13 03:41 AM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: Tyber]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The nudity is a gimmick and not very applicable to most survival situations. I guess if you were swimming and a rip tide tore your trunks off and you got lost it could happen. But it's got to be a pretty rare time you'd be completely naked. It does seem like it would add a lot of difficulty to your situation. After all, your first line of shelter is your clothes. Naked in SoDak in January...I think you'd be dead in half an hour.

#264270 - 10/12/13 05:23 AM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Ok, I've watched a few episodes and my review is mixed. It's entertaining and I really like how most of them come off as closer to what an average Joe would be like in a similar situation.

I just can't get over the nakedness. Some of them seem to be pretty smart about it, and make or find a little clothing but... when the guy was squatting on the log snake hunting with his rod and tackle hanging out. eek!

And, well... the guy that drank from the stream in the jungle and had to be medivaced out.... and the guy who got a major sunburn on day one and then [CENSORED] the rest of the time.... and the guy how whined like a little girl the whole time....

I think we need a new survival show showing a competent woman! ROAR!

Are you calling me??? smile Or is this a play on Kitty Purry's video?

I saw all the shows. Quite frankly, getting past the nudity was pretty easy for me. The survival aspects of the show were driving my interest.

The lack of clothing just proved to me that it is a vital survival possession. The right clothing (and footwear) for the right conditions and you have a fighting chance. Without any clothing and you have little protection from the elements (sun, wind, rain, insects, rocks, etc). Either you have to make some sort of cover or you do without. The one gal who weaved herself a hat and a matt knew instinctively what to do. Her survival skills and her mental attitude stood out among the players.

The nudity - that's what set this show apart from the others. Was it a titillating gimmick? Perhaps, but it also was strategic to prove the point that clothing is underrated as your #1 protection.

I totally agree, Roar. I'm no prude so it didn't bother me in that way, but the sunburn and the dangley bits with biting insects and animals around made me wonder why more of them didn't make an effort to improvise something, particularly the ones who got cold at night because of previously mentioned fire issues. You're totally right about it showing how important our clothing is.

p.s. as for the ROAR, just a show of feminine solidarity. wink I am woman! Not THAT woman though. wink

p.p.s. I got censored?! First time ever. Sorry about that gang.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#264273 - 10/12/13 11:05 AM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Clothing...Humankind developed body coverings way back in at at least the Upper Paleolithic for all the noted reasons. The directors of the "reality" show probably wouldn't let the participants do so - it would have been too realistic.

#264305 - 10/14/13 04:18 AM Re: New "survival show" draws attention [Re: Tyber]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
My wife and I enjoyed this show. 2 points - some participants did find or improvise clothes. And on three of the shows the woman were much more competent/coped better than the man. on the other three, it was a toss up.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, wileycoyote), 153 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.