Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#264176 - 10/10/13 03:50 PM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
This LED flashlight has both a strobe and S.O.S mode. If you remove the lens collar you get a 360 degree spread. It runs on three AAA batteries (I use lithium). This is, by far, the best light I have owned.

Nebo Redline Tactical Flashlight Strobe S.O.S 220 Lumen #5581

#264177 - 10/10/13 04:23 PM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Hikermor, the strobe in Russ's link uses standard AAs, it was the older military strobe that used the special battery. There have been modifications for those old ones to take a CR123, but they are not durable or reliable.

The firefly is not as durable. I tried those and had 2 out of 5 fail sitting on a shelf. I found them during my normal pre-operational inspection, and I converted to all of the military types. I have never had one of the ACRs fail on me, and I abuse them.

The advantage to these dedicated strobes is ease of use (one hand operation), 360 degree light (no need to point at a target, great when you are injured), and durability.

These ACR military strobes are generally expensive, anywhere from $60 to $120, but I can get them for much less. I do not send anyone out without one, even when they are carrying the PLB. You can turn them on and guide someone to your position without alerting the SAR folks.

#264180 - 10/10/13 06:56 PM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Any thoughts on the Streamlight Sidewinder? I have one but due to where and on which kit it's kept, it sees near zero use. That said, the reviews look good and it was one of the lights mentioned in my last water survival class.

#264188 - 10/11/13 12:55 AM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Interesting! My oldest 4F was purchased and used back in the early 1980s, perhaps even earlier. As you say, easy to deploy, 360 degree visibility, and tough. The other two are more than fifteen years old.

I did purchase adapters and they now run on two lithium CR123s, replacing the original mercury battery, which still flashed the strobe, even though it was long out of date.

Sorry to hear the issues with durability and reliability. I am a bit surprised, because my "adapter" is nothing more than an assembly that lengthens the battery cavity to accommodate the cr123s. It looks pretty sturdy. How could anything go wrong, go wrong, go wrong......

#264196 - 10/11/13 03:01 AM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
bacpacboy has one in his emergency survival kit for signaling purposes. It's lightweight, pretty water tight, inexpensive, the batteries seem to last forever and it's really easy to use. I figure that it will help signal when he's hugging his tree.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#264205 - 10/11/13 04:08 AM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Do they make something like the 4F but with and LED emitter? Seems like it would be brighter, more reliable/durable and longer running.

#264238 - 10/11/13 03:30 PM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How I might deploy a strobe; on a pack or hat, facing up, inside a tent or facing a large object, such as a cliff.

(And essential for slot canyons - carry extra batteries.)

Edited by TeacherRO (10/12/13 06:48 PM)

#264240 - 10/11/13 04:55 PM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
My oldest 4F was "purchased" in the early 70's. It is still working if it has a battery. It has been in the sleeve pocket of my floatation coat for years (lots of years on deck in pretty bad weather). When doing SAR I took it with me also. I could not think of a more reliable unit.

hikermor,
where did you get the adapter for the 4F? I would love to continue using it. Do you know of a source for the colored filters? I have lost or broken all of mine.

Phaedrus,

The LED would be nowhere near as bright, hard to be more reliable (see above) but would certainly run longer on a battery.

I have several of the eGear Guardian's, one on my dog's harness, one in my pack, one in my car, etc. They are almost always used in the steady mode for protection while walking, changing a tire, etc. or for keeping a group together at night. Great product, not for the same purposes as a true, high power strobe. Could someone find you with one, of course, but not as easily as an ACR 4F, particularly if you were not in a perfectly dark wilderness.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#264241 - 10/11/13 05:34 PM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
Any thoughts on the Streamlight Sidewinder? I have one but due to where and on which kit it's kept, it sees near zero use. That said, the reviews look good and it was one of the lights mentioned in my last water survival class.

I've never owned a Sidewinder. It looks cool, especially if you want headlight-like functionality without strapping something onto your dome.

Streamlight as a company impresses me. I own several of their products and their way of handling a customer service issue with me was excellent. A weaponlight they made broke. I called them. They shipped me a new one that arrived in two days. No proof of purchase, nothing.

#264245 - 10/11/13 05:48 PM Re: Strobe as hiking gear? [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Russ
Any thoughts on the Streamlight Sidewinder? I have one but due to where and on which kit it's kept, it sees near zero use. That said, the reviews

I would have to second chaosmagnet on their customer service, they have replaced a pair of 3N lights twice. No hassle.

As for their quality, I have mixed reviews. I have had several of their lights with no problems. I am now on my 5th and 6th (good customer service remember) 3N lights. All of them have had switches fail. Since this is the only product I have seen fail, I suspect it is in the design & others will not have it. Still it makes me a little uneasy about depending on other products until I have some experience with them.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.