Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#264075 - 10/07/13 02:22 PM Re: NYC; bug-out, survive in place, etc [Re: hamiamham]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
WRT "gas masks". Look at modern masks from major companies. Try Googling "silicone half mask" for example. You can get a wide variety of cartridges (research what each is good for) and the silicone material is soft, long lasting and inert. Learn to clean it, check for proper fit (good ones come in sizes). Half masks are small and light.

Note these can also be used for dust only with the proper filters.

N95 is better than nothing but it is woth getting N100 / HEPA IMO.

Get some practice cartidges and get comfortable with your equipment and leave your actual emergency cartidges sealed.

Wheels are a great idea IMO. I purchased a fold-up cart that I leave in my work area as well as one in the trunk of my car.

I work in a downtown office in Seattle and leave a large duffle under my desk with supplemental goods (I have a EDC bag that is my primary), including a pry-bar, hacksaw, etc. I also keep extra first aid and flashlights for my co-workers. Basically, tools aside, I've set aside items for others to avoid depleating my own supplies.

I also have several cases of bottled water in my cube area.

-john

Edited by JohnN (10/07/13 02:26 PM)

#264080 - 10/07/13 07:21 PM Re: NYC; bug-out, survive in place, etc [Re: benjammin]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I have in mind something I can put up on my shoulders or around my waist. Not necessarily to strap it on; something I can doff at will, but that will stay secure, like shoulder hooks or something. In transit, I want my hands free to be able to other things, or carry other things, whatever. But I don't want to be unable to drop the cart and run or dodge if I have to without undo manipulation.

A cart makes a lot of sense, especially in an urban environment that is for the most part still intact. Even in rugged terrain it could be helpful, but within limits. Maybe there'd be a way to rig up something you could pack on your back if you had to, and when the going is a bit easier you can put it down on integral wheels.

It sound's like your looking for a rickshaw, towed hand truck, or a wheeled travois type setup where the cart is attached to you via a harness. EDIT: removing all the DIY harness stuff and sugesting you get a commercial sled "pulk" harness.

There's a variety of marine quick release snap shackles that can be undone quickly and without dexterity that you could use to attach the cart to the harness. They tend to be stiff and typically have a cord loop attached to them for ease of use.

EDIT: Be careful with the 99 or 100 series masks. The effort of pulling air through the filter adds additional load onto your heart and lungs. In addition to N series, there's also R and P ratings. I used P-95 rated 3M Tekk Protection Paint Odor Valved Respirators (Home Depot) when I had to paint my house, and they made a big difference (I'm sensative to a lot of organic fumes)

Edited by Mark_R (10/07/13 08:03 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#264117 - 10/09/13 12:55 PM Re: NYC; bug-out, survive in place, etc [Re: hamiamham]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A Surly Moonlander with a Bionx Electric Kit could help hauling that 50+ lB kit out of NYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY7UO9erG0I

A modified fat BOB trailer could also be used with the Surly fat bikes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX-TQQB7xTY

I would also check out coastkid71 Youtube page to see how those 40 somethings are still having fun on their mountain bikes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coastkid71

i.e. Along with the dated Retro Music laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpLZgzwqc4

#264121 - 10/09/13 03:27 PM Re: NYC; bug-out, survive in place, etc [Re: hamiamham]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
trade in the KTM for a couple of Vstrom DL1000s with bags smile

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.