The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#263789 - 09/29/13 07:02 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The cycles vs miles thing is the most frustrating. When I was trying to get my car through inspection this year, the guys doing the repairs (two weeks of a lot of guessing going on, guessing which parts to change, resulting in time being wracked up, equaling money out of my pocket on guessing). A heard a lot of "put some miles on it". After almost two hundred miles it still didn't show clear. Left the car at the guessing fix-it guys again. They drove it another bunch of miles and it finally showed clear. Not totally impressed. I long for the day of viable electric cars (300+ mile range; 15-minute recharge) or nuclear powered ones. UGH!

I have no idea if my car has a "Secret Squirrel" way of pressing buttons and turning switches to check for codes. My dash has analog gauges with the standard warning lights.

#263795 - 09/29/13 09:43 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: unimogbert]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
. . .you won't get the yellow light until the 3rd trip (in my 2001).

Lucky! I've got IIRC 15-20 minutes before it shows up.

#263816 - 09/30/13 03:18 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
The cycles vs miles thing is the most frustrating.

When I was looking into a yellow light on the wife's car I got into this. She'd been driving it for many trips and a long time but the self-test still hadn't completed. It hadn't recorded an error - it just hadn't completed the tests.

The problem was her driving profile just didn't include the acceleration and speeds necessary for the self-tests. She rarely gets up to 45 mph and drives stoplight to stoplight with few periods of sustained speed. I drove it to my work and back one day (100 mi round trip) and they'd all completed.

#263849 - 10/01/13 03:18 AM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
One of my main frustrations is that no matter which "experts" that I have to pay loads of money to don't take the time to tell you what kind of "put some miles on it" I need to do. Why do I have to get the info from the Internet?

#263871 - 10/01/13 01:37 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
One of my main frustrations is that no matter which "experts" that I have to pay loads of money to don't take the time to tell you what kind of "put some miles on it" I need to do. Why do I have to get the info from the Internet?

This is one of the generalized reasons I work so hard to do my own work as much as I possibly can. If I can't do the work I can at least study on the problem so that I can get a sense for whether the expert is going down the right path or just pulling my leg. (refined my BS detection skill in the Navy :-)

Sometimes the experts don't know jack themselves and will make things up.
Sometimes what they know is wrong.
Sometimes the experts will break something else and not tell you.
Sometimes the experts get tired of explaining because some of their customers won't understand, won't believe them, won't listen anyway.

Sometimes the expert is dishonest and just wants your money. (like my local dealership who wanted to rebuild my rear differential and change a front ujoint when I TOLD THEM it was the front diff making noise, that I got lots of metal out of it at the last lube change, and the VIN was only a few hundred different from my other one which self-destructed at nearly the same mileage, and the diff model has a reputation for eating bearings. A pox on them! I went to another shop for the diagnosis and rebuild and have been treated fairly by them since. But I always check their work. Heck, I recheck my OWN work too.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.