Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#263791 - 09/29/13 07:23 PM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I really like the UCO Stormproof matches, and I have quite a few of them. FWIW the matches I just got are older ones but still sealed in celophane; they're the old Diamond ones. I opened a box to try them and they do indeed reliably strike on kydex, and they worked on a DMT diamond sharpening stone I had laying around.

Obviously they're a curio. Once I use them them up there won't be any more, and certainly the limited remaining stock will get scarcer and poorer as they 'age'. Just wanted a few high quality SA for my kits.

#263792 - 09/29/13 07:49 PM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: Paul810]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Paul810
I squirreled away about 10 boxes of Ohio Blue Tips years ago when I heard they were going out of business. Glad I did, as it's pretty much impossible to find a good strike-anywhere match nowadays. Even regular kitchen safety matches are getting harder to find around here. I guess people just don't buy matches like they used to.

This is a very good point. I remember reading once that when the 'sulphur match', the modern strike-anywhere, was invented the president implored them to release the patent rights "for the good of all mankind." The modern match was that big of a deal. But fast forward to 2013 and the match is nearly obsolete. I almost never use them at all. Most smokers use a lighter. I guess that naked fire is not much used now by the average person, and when it is there are better ways to light one than a match.

Still, I dig having some old red tips!

#263793 - 09/29/13 08:24 PM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: Phaedrus]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For lighting a fire in a survival situation, you can use both a strike anywhere match alternately pushed into cardboard with a windproof match. Make a row of about 10-15 alternating strike anywhere and windproof matches then dip everything in melted wax. This will keep both matches safe and dry from water or dampness.

To light a fire cut off section of one strike anywhere and one windproof match, expose the strike anywhere match head then strike to further ignite the windproof match, the wax covered cardboard will further burn for an additional 1-2 minutes.

If you can't get a fire going using this match setup then you need bring along some Coleman gas or Methylated spirit as well wink

Knowing how to light/stike a match could be crucial as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbSMplJ6g4

#263794 - 09/29/13 09:41 PM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: Phaedrus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
once again i did not read every response to the first message...but..
here in Minnesota strike anywhere's are back and better that some years ago.the company must have responded to the complaints and the matches have more of that "white stuff" on the tip and seem to be a bit larger,more wood.
i put about six big box's away in plastic jars, still in the plastic wrap,when it looked like they were being discontinued.
i keep storm matches around but for everyday jobs the wood ones work fine.
a better match for lighting gas lamps are ones i found in a Swedish stuff store.they have long sticks but not as huge a fireplace matches.

#263796 - 09/29/13 11:03 PM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Strike Anywhere @ Amazon Whodathunk that Amazon would have something like that? wink

#263798 - 09/30/13 03:24 AM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: Russ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Strike Anywhere @ Amazon Whodathunk that Amazon would have something like that? wink

It looks like all the Amazon ones are either the crappy new style of green ones or NOS red ones selling for $40 per box. Essentially the same price as ebay or higher.

But I will have to check out the new ones if there's a good option. I'm pretty close to the MN border.

#263800 - 09/30/13 04:09 AM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: Phaedrus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I gave up on strike-anywhere matches a long, long time ago. Never could get any that were reliable after any time in storage, even carefully sealed. The white tip would rub off and that was it. In fact, the way I would guarantee that the matches would work was to pack a safety match striker strip (folded over onto itself) with the strike anywhere matches.

I actually had better luck with good ol' paper matches. They would work even after being soaked and dried out. Just tear out about four of them including the base they are held by and you have yourself a surprisingly decent match.

Bics replaced them and I've never looked back. I still carry lifeboat matches for extreme situations, and they do seem to hold up over time.

#263801 - 09/30/13 04:23 AM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You have a good point, Doug. There's a reason I don't use matches much, just wanted to have some of the older kind. UCO Stormproof matches are about as good as it gets IMO, and all my kits have some of them packed inside. A Firesteel.com GobSpark Armaggedon with some Tinder-Quik is my main go-to fire tool, though.

Hard to argue with a Bic! They work great and are cheap. I have some Bics but my favorite lighter is the Numyth Tohil peanut lighter. It's waterproof, very very well made and has been completely reliable so far. A little expensive but good gear often is. Plus, it's a long term investment. And it doesn't hurt that I got two of them when GoingGear.com had a 30% off sale.

#263802 - 09/30/13 06:15 AM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The new ones are just as lousy, and I've no idea why.

#263808 - 09/30/13 01:55 PM Re: Old School Strike-anywhere matches. [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Another vote for storm matches as a backup ignition source. A good container is quite important. I generally use a Bic as my routine appliance for this task.

Ditto. If needed, can light with a lighter.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.