The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263748 - 09/26/13 06:47 PM Car Code Reader
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Has anyone purchased an OBD code reader for their car? I know there are a host of corded ones at the car parts places. Also, I saw there are bluetooth models that interface with your cell phone with an app. Since my cars are getting to "a certain age" and they like to let me know that the "Check Engine" light is capable of staying illuminated, I was wondering it is worth buying one? I hate running to the parts stores. I do understand that the OTC units do not take the place of the bzillion dollar units the extortionists have.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Edited by MoBOB (09/26/13 06:48 PM)

#263750 - 09/26/13 07:31 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I have had one for several years. All of my vehicles are over 100k miles, and I do all my own service for the most part.

I highly recommend one if you work on your own vehicles. If you do, make sure that you get one that allows you to clear the codes once you've fixed the problem.

There are lots of different levels of readers, from very basic to very advanced. I would buy according to your level of expertise. No use having tons of functions if you don't know how to use them.

As you mentioned, pretty much any parts store will read codes for you if you don't want to buy a reader. My reader is an Innova, although I don't remember which model. I think it ran me around $100. You will save a lot more than that by not taking it to a mechanic.

Greg

#263751 - 09/26/13 07:54 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I carry one in each car because I want to know more about why the yellow light is on. Then I can decide if it's serious or not.

For someone who can do some of the work on the car it's a basic diagnostic tool. But the tool doesn't necessarily tell you what to change. It is only giving you strong hints about what's wrong. If your car systems vocabulary isn't strong enough to recognize what system it's referring to then it wouldn't be useful.

I think mine are Equus brand - slightly over $100 at the time.

(I've also made friends at work reading coworker's codes and sometimes clearing them. Can be better than putting a $5 bill on their desk when a favor is needed in the future :-)

#263752 - 09/26/13 08:42 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I find black electricians tape works well. Just slap it over the offending service engine soon light.

#263753 - 09/27/13 01:11 AM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: clearwater]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: clearwater
I find black electricians tape works well. Just slap it over the offending service engine soon light.

In general, I agree except that it won't pass New York's inspection if the light has been on "recently"; whatever the heck that means.

#263754 - 09/27/13 06:36 AM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I have a bluetooth one for use with my phone, never needed to read a code but the engine monitor works well.

#263755 - 09/27/13 11:11 AM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
inkslngr Offline
Journeyman

Loc: AZ
the extortionists... Sir, you offend me!

#263756 - 09/27/13 08:42 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Does your car have any kind of digital display on the dash? Some cars allow codes to be read in car without a code reader. Had an 01 Chevy that with the proper combination of button presses would allow me to read and clear codes.

#263758 - 09/27/13 09:58 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: MoBOB]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
if the light has been on "recently"; whatever the heck that means.

Cars essentially test their own emissions nowadays with a bunch of sensors. If one of these sensors sees something abnormal, it will throw a code/check engine light in the computer. Clearing this code turns off the light, but the computer still sees a fault until it can reset itself by completing whatever driving cycle is required to reset that particular sensor's reading.

The necessary driving cycle depends on the manufacturer and sensor you're trying to reset. For example, one of the parameters for my mustang is to accelerate from 0-45 at least 5 times. You can either do this on purpose or just drive normally and eventually you'll do it anyway.

That's why you'll still fail a state emissions test if you just shut the light off and go. Their reader wont see a clean emissions reading. You have to drive the car for a while after you clear a code to truly reset everything.

#263788 - 09/29/13 06:45 PM Re: Car Code Reader [Re: Paul810]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Paul810

That's why you'll still fail a state emissions test if you just shut the light off and go. Their reader wont see a clean emissions reading. You have to drive the car for a while after you clear a code to truly reset everything.

To simplify- what the state emissions test is looking for is that the car has completed all the necessary self-tests, has passed them all and set the code for that. If the trouble codes have been cleared, that will show up as having not completed all the self-tests.

Another use for the code reader is to verify the car has passed all the self-tests needed before going to the emissions testing station (if you have one).

There can also be "pending" codes. For example, if you leave the gas cap off and lose it, you won't get the yellow light until the 3rd trip (in my 2001). But if you were to read codes before seeing the light there would be a 'pending' code indicating something could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.