The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263651 - 09/20/13 11:53 PM Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
bacpacbaby and I went for a hike today and stopped by the creek for lunch. The mosquitoes were nasty, so I put her bug net on her stroller and fired up the canteen stove and cup right away to brew some coffee and help fend them off a little bit. I wanted to get it going quickly so I used my Coleman triox tabs and the mini BIC on my lanyard to get it going.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Starbucks VIA. YUM-O!

Mother Nature threatened rain and t-storms so I decided to use the GI ponchos in my day hike pack to make a shelter in case she snuck up on us. While she slept, I used paracord with square lashings to put up a ridge pole, lashed a corner to the stroller and then made a tri-pod for the fourth corner of the shelter. I used clove hitches for all the lashings, including the one on the stroller, and used the jute twine tie-outs that are always attached to the poncho to attach it to the frame. (Lesson of the Day: It takes a little fiddling to use the stroller as a lashing point for a tarp. It was fine for sun and falling tree debris and bugs, but if it had rained, I would have needed an adjustment to the placement of my lashing to prevent water from getting in the stroller. I went over the canopy to the side, and I should have used a longer piece of cordage to go over the handle and under. I played a with it more before I packed up, and finally got it, but it wasn't as easy as I anticipated it being.) The second poncho was my ground sheet to protect me from the muddy forest floor.

Once it was up, I started a little smokey twig fire to chase the mosquitoes away. I wanted a fire quickly so I just did a twig fire, with wood shavings, river birch and cattail for tinder, on a platform of birch branches that I cut with my Bacho Laplander, and with a brace made from someone else's old fire dog. (I also made a platform to hold my kindling while it waited to be burned.) Taking the opportunity for a little more practice, I lit it with my Mora LMF.

Then I sat down and enjoyed my coffee and snack before the sky started rumbling and we headed for home, both pretty happy.

Here's a little video showing a bit more detail, including what I pack when I take bacpacbaby out on one of our typical fall days:
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdhLxx9y-jE[/YouTube]

Thanks for lookin!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#263659 - 09/21/13 04:37 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! Great to get out for a little hike before winter sets in. Looks like bacpacbaby liked it, too! grin

#263664 - 09/21/13 10:57 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
An awesome outing. Bacpacbaby is growing fast!!!! She is already tackling cookies? Hooray!!!! Thank you for sharing Jackie!!!

#263670 - 09/21/13 07:00 PM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Wonderful!!...not only a chance to play with the camping gizmos but with back pack baby too...
and a reminder for those of us who don't get outside as much as we would like to make a break for it---!!

#263684 - 09/23/13 04:27 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Bungee cords are better. They save you a lot of fiddling about.

#263706 - 09/24/13 02:22 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Spoken perhaps by one who's never experienced the joy of having a bungee cord snap back and wrack the cold, arthritic knuckles.

Bungees are someone's idea of a prank. I expect to see some joker with a camera pop out from behind a tree to point and laugh every time I try to use one of those darned contraptions

#263709 - 09/24/13 05:19 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: benjammin]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Spoken perhaps by one who's never experienced the joy of having a bungee cord snap back and wrack he cold, arthritic knuckles.

Bungees are someone's idea of a prank. I expect to see some joker with a camera pop out from behind a tree to point and laugh every time I try to use one of those darned contraptions

In answer to your imputation my friend, I have indeed been whacked across the knuckles. Which teaches a salutery lession in safe handling. If you buy decent quality bungee cords and respect their limitations then they become a most useful tool.

#263737 - 09/26/13 02:01 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Sad to say, I am not the best judge of what is a "good" bungee cord. Despite by best attempts at proper safe handling techniques, the darned things just have it in for my poor hands.

They must be a Murphy product.

#263739 - 09/26/13 07:35 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
and a reminder for those of us who don't get outside as much as we would like to make a break for it---!!

+ 1

But there is yet another benefit

It has become a hobby of mine to look for outings like this one on-line and just watch and try to feel myself being in the outdoors. Have been doing this more on our local forums.

Sometimes life will just decide NOT to allow you to get out ... so why not "borrow" a few moments of happiness and relaxation from those who managed to do it.

It is not the same as going out , but it works sometimes. When you open a thread like this, see a creek , sand dune, sunrise/sunset ... etc. it does wonders to tired souls.

Even camping tools are good to look at .. LOL

BTW, BPJ, glad you insisted to enjoy it despite mosquitos and the rain...

and thank you for sharing

#263742 - 09/26/13 10:51 AM Re: Day Hike with Coffee, Shelter and a Smokey Fire [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The Colonel could always spot a "winner".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.