Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263686 - 09/23/13 01:54 PM What do you do for family?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our equipped hobby sometimes spills over to spouses, kids and family. What prep things to you give to your family? For me its keychain flashlights and equipping car kits.

#263688 - 09/23/13 03:07 PM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Car kit for the wife.

Survival kit for my boys (both scouts).

EDC IDs w/emergency info, flashlight (blocklite), whistle, mental prep before any trip to think through what they are carrying, what the weather is, what they should be prepared for. They can't carry any blade to school, so that is out. Focus is on signalling and shelter for EDC.

#263689 - 09/23/13 03:18 PM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I built and maintain the kit in my wife's car. I equip my family with flashlights (the castoffs from my flashaholism). I keep a stock of keychain flashlights and give them away to practically everybody. My wife and one of my daughters are also licensed hams, and I keep radios in our cars. I've also presented to local Girl Scout troops on what to do if they get lost when out hiking with their troop (hug a tree and blow a whistle, mostly).

#263697 - 09/23/13 05:39 PM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
key chain lights and window punches for family and friends

as a former classroom teacher I had about 150 "lab rats" at my disposal yearly for a lot of years....they built either an actual or "on paper"...

hurricane plan
3 day "go bucket"
MRE style entrée from off the shelf sources
land navigation lab
Sun compass from wristwatch
escape and evasion simulation

they were an excellent source for research and observations, especially after action reports following the hurricanes

we were our county's pilot school for Learning Communities, and we chose survival as our primary topic...the initial year we did a large project as a county emergency management team...

#263729 - 09/25/13 05:45 PM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: TeacherRO]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
"Doing for" ain't an issue in my family. However keeping their mitt's off my kit is, and that goes for for my esteemed Father and his 6 year old Grandson AKA my Nephew in particular!

#263730 - 09/25/13 05:59 PM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't buy survival stuff for peeps -- family or friends -- because stuff without the right mindset is wasted. What I do is try to influence mindset so they are more inclined to buy their own stuff. What normally happens is some incident occurs and suddenly I have a flashlight or a sharp at hand. Someone gets a cut and there's an FAK in my backpack. Influencing mindset is harder but it goes much further IMO. YMMV

#263731 - 09/25/13 06:40 PM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: Russ]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Russ
I don't buy survival stuff for peeps -- family or friends -- because stuff without the right mindset is wasted. What I do is try to influence mindset so they are more inclined to buy their own stuff. What normally happens is some incident occurs and suddenly I have a flashlight or a sharp at hand. Someone gets a cut and there's an FAK in my backpack. Influencing mindset is harder but it goes much further IMO. YMMV

I run into this with my son, who I have tried to build a basic car/first aid kit for.

A few months ago, I showed him everything I purchased for him, and showed him what that stuff should be used for.

A couple of weeks ago, he was helping up at big foot-ball game, and for whatever reason, the organizer didn't want the volunteers (my son) to wear a hat. The weather was great that day, but very sunny. My Son got himself a pretty good sunburn.

He came home, was absolutely miserable - I picked him up some solarcaine, made sure he took Ibuprofin to try to keep the inflamation down etc.. but explained to him once your burned, there really isn't a whole lot of great treatment options for the discomfort. I told him the best way to deal with Sunburn is not to get one to begin with.

Then I took him out to his car, had him pop the trunk, and handed him the Sunscreen I put in his kit two months before that he had totally forgotten about.

We'll see if it clicks next time...

#263734 - 09/25/13 10:46 PM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: RNewcomb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What was the "organizer" thinking? Almost any kind of hat is better than being bare headed.....

#263735 - 09/26/13 01:19 AM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: RNewcomb]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
With the way I burn, I'd have told the organizer that either I wear MY hat or he has one less volunteer. Baseball caps don't cut it even if it has the group's logo on it.

#263736 - 09/26/13 01:33 AM Re: What do you do for family? [Re: hikermor]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What was the "organizer" thinking? Almost any kind of hat is better than being bare headed.....

I have no idea really why they didn't want them to wear their covers, other than maybe it was because they were not in full uniform. I wouldn't have cared, I still would have worn the hat. I suspect next time he'll push back a little harder. He's like me, he tried to keep the peace when he can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.