The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#263628 - 09/19/13 03:32 PM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Not cheap, but Opinel's take on survival knife.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=opinel-No8-outdoor

#263629 - 09/19/13 05:18 PM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
For $10, I'd go with a locking folder. Plus they pack well into kits

I'd tend to think a folder would be a better fit for a kit as well. I just checked and on Amazon you can get a Gerber BG Scout for $12 (I paid $25 for one!). I think these are a great, basic locking folders.

#263635 - 09/20/13 06:23 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I suppose other folks may feel differently but I absolutely loathe serrations. I can think of a couple applications they're good for but nothing survival related. Again, JMOHO.

#263636 - 09/20/13 11:43 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have tried several knives for this application. As others have mentioned, Opinels seem to be a great choice, but the handles of both carbon and SS swell up when wet and are impossible to open with fingers. I tried a little vegetable oil on the pivot, but it didn't solve the problem. They are however, strong, very sharp, super light, and the lock works great.

I tried a $10 Winchester branded, wood scaled folder from Wally which looked good, had a good pocket clip, and was pretty sharp. It literally fell apart in the pack. The main pivot pin came apart, and I have no idea where the missing part of it went.

The Bucklite Max folder is a great, sturdy little knife. I carry the small one in orange in my survival pack a a backup, but at $15 it is a little more than your stated price range.

Overall, I think the Mora Companion, which is visually similar to the old Clipper except that the blade steel is thicker, is a great choice for a kit.

Attachments
mora.jpg

#263640 - 09/20/13 04:45 PM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm not a huge fan of serrations either and definitely wouldn't carry a serrated knife as my primary in the woods. That said, for a back-up knife in a survival kit, I wouldn't really worry one way or another; the serrations may not be a benefit in a survival situation but they aren't really going to be detriment either.

For me, I'd think other considerations (like cost, durability, construction, compactness) trump my serrations/no serration preference when looking for a back-up knife. For example, I would prefer the BG Scout to an Opinel even with the serrations (although, it looks like the price went back up on that Scout so it is no longer a proper comparison ... the sale must've ended!).

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.