Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#263587 - 09/17/13 10:37 PM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
My choice used to be a carbon steel Mora Clipper, but now it's the SOG Field Pup (seems to be perpetually on sale at Cabela's these days).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SOG-Field...ch-All+Products

I like the Field Pup too. It has a better handle and sheath than the Moras.

#263595 - 09/18/13 01:24 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The field pup is an excellent value (I own two of the older aus8 versions); a better knife than many of the moras. But even at cabelas it's $15 plus shipping, which is not quite in the "$10 ish" rangs.

#263597 - 09/18/13 02:21 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: tomfaranda]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
The field pup is an excellent value (I own two of the older aus8 versions); a better knife than many of the moras. But even at cabelas it's $15 plus shipping, which is not quite in the "$10 ish" rangs.

If shipping and tax have to be included against that $10, then there's not much to suggest. I doubt you could even get a Mora to your door for under $10 including shipping, tax, etc.

#263599 - 09/18/13 03:30 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: haertig]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
[/quote]
If shipping and tax have to be included against that $10, then there's not much to suggest. I doubt you could even get a Mora to your door for under $10 including shipping, tax, etc. [/quote]

See my earlier post - mora 510 is $8.99 at amazon, and free shipping if you're an amazon prime member.

#263600 - 09/18/13 03:56 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Go to the junkyard, buy a 2 foot piece of scrap spring steel for $5. Spend a couple weeks working it into shape. Get some scrap oak or hickory or maple or alder and whittle up some handles. That should about do it.

#263601 - 09/18/13 04:17 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Why $10, Phaedrus? Is there an overall budget you're working with? How did you arrive at this number?

Since Phaedrus is looking to put together kits for a number of people, it seems like the Mora knife on Amazon ought to be suitable at $8.95, with free shipping for orders more than $25. He can order three or more of them, wait two weeks, and the Brown Truck of Happiness will appear at his doorsteps. Problem solved!

Also, Hikermor: why do you say batoning is silly?

#263602 - 09/18/13 05:19 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: haertig
My choice used to be a carbon steel Mora Clipper, but now it's the SOG Field Pup (seems to be perpetually on sale at Cabela's these days).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SOG-Field...ch-All+Products

Thanks for the link. I do have a Field Pup and it's an awesome knife! At $15 it's probably the best knife out there. Shame it's the leather sheath; the nylon one is much better. Truly, there may not be a better knife for under $20 than that little SOG. Perhaps a little too expensive for my application but it bears consideration. I think the main issue I may have would be that it might be a little bit too bulky for my needs, but it might work.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I wouldn't worry one bit about using either of the Moras I have. I am sure they would accomplish any essential tasks they were called for - which would not include batoning, which is just plain silly IMHO.

I'm in trouble already! grin I realize that batonning remains controversial. When camping or hiking when I am building a fire, most of the time I prepare kindling by batonning it. I find I can split wood much more accurately and safely with a knife than with an axe. It's just a more precise method, at least for me. True- you could probably build a hundred fires in good conditions without having to split any wood at all. But in bad conditions, especially when it's wet, any wood you scrounge may need to be split to get at the dry part. In a survival situation you probably wouldn't want to risk your most important tool unless you had to but you may have to.

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Why $10, Phaedrus? Is there an overall budget you're working with? How did you arrive at this number?

Since Phaedrus is looking to put together kits for a number of people, it seems like the Mora knife on Amazon ought to be suitable at $8.95, with free shipping for orders more than $25. He can order three or more of them, wait two weeks, and the Brown Truck of Happiness will appear at his doorsteps. Problem solved!

Well, the number is somewhat arbitrary. True, I could spend more on the knife and less somewhere else. Or simply spend more altogether. The problem is price creep- a little more for the knife, a little more for the mirror, a bit more for a better space blanket, etc. and suddenly your $30 kit is $50. I have to draw the line somewhere.

The Mora and Opinel knives both skate in just under $10 delivered and are both very good knives IMO. Not just good cheap knives but good knives, period. Especially the carbon ones. Not so crazy about the Opinel INOX, though. A Mora SS is a bit better.

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are a few out there that I hadn't heard of (a real shocker, knife geek that I am!) and a couple deals that I hadn't seen (especially the $15 SOG...I paid $35 for mine!).

The paring knife idea does have some merit; a bushcraft knife is really just a knife. Few of them have serviceable sheaths, though, something I need for this kit unless it's a folder. Adding a separate sheath would drive up the cost a bit. I would prefer to get a number of the same knife as opposed to a mish-mash of different blades for consistency.

#263604 - 09/18/13 11:29 AM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

I'm in trouble already! grin I realize that batonning remains controversial. When camping or hiking when I am building a fire, most of the time I prepare kindling by batonning it. I find I can split wood much more accurately and safely with a knife than with an axe. It's just a more precise method, at least for me. True- you could probably build a hundred fires in good conditions without having to split any wood at all. But in bad conditions, especially when it's wet, any wood you scrounge may need to be split to get at the dry part. In a survival situation you probably wouldn't want to risk your most important tool unless you had to but you may have to.

I have built a fair number of fires in bad conditions, when it was raining and the woods were soaked. Generally the biggest problem has been the accompanying wind, which makes the process rather difficult. I can find dry tinder and small stuff by searching the inner parts of large, thick conifers. Hopefully I can find some standing pine knots in a snag. I have always split my wood by stomping or dropping a rock on a suspended log. A few minutes of that will produce enough kindling for an all night fire. When the rain continues, we just build a wigwam of kindling and logs and let the fire dry them out.

We all do check the weather report when we go out, don't we? I learned long ago that a good stove is well worth the weight in crummy conditions. You get that nice cup of tea a lot faster.

Batoning isn't environmentally bad, and it does demonstrate that you do indeed have a good,tough knife, but I have just never had to do it.

Although I do recall one SAR incident where we were treating a victim with lots of injuries (his injuries had injuries). We had used up all our splinting material and I was eyeing a nearby sapling, thinking "I am going to carve away everything that doesn't look like a splint." The sapling was saved when reinforcements,with fresh splints, arrived.

The Field Pup sounds intriguing - one can always use another good, cheap knife.

#263607 - 09/18/13 04:03 PM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Phaedrus]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
[quote=haertig]

The paring knife idea does have some merit; a bushcraft knife is really just a knife. Few of them have serviceable sheaths, though, something I need for this kit unless it's a folder. Adding a separate sheath would drive up the cost a bit. I would prefer to get a number of the same knife as opposed to a mish-mash of different blades for consistency.

Making a sheath is pretty easy. Leather is a poor choice, due to issues with moisture, acid content and blade damage, and ease of manipulation. HDPE sheets salvaged from trash, or tyvek envelopes obtained free from the postal service, fastened with duct or electricians tape provide a sturdy and low profile pouch sheath. Add a piece of emery cloth to the side of the sheath for sharpening, and you have a sheath better than most commercial choices. But Benjammin's suggestion of making the knives is the better option: a big, cheap butcher knife or saw blade can be ground down to make several full tang 3 inch blades, providing complete artistic control over blade profile and grind, demystifying the knife-making process and freeing the knife-maker from bondage to the industrial-marketing complex that dominates the commercial knife world.
Knife enthusiasts of the world unit! Cast off your bonds of serfdom! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

#263609 - 09/18/13 04:28 PM Re: $10-ish survival knife? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hultafors Craftmans Knife Heavy-Duty GK HULGK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hultafors-Craftmans-Heavy-Duty-GK-HULGK/dp/B004O9MIE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqGjwOZuxs

Edit - just checked Amazon.com, the Hultfors Craftmans Knife is available for $10.83 with Free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...p;condition=new

Follow this advice.
Sorry that was a bit abrupt. I own a Hultafores Heavy Duty. For a survival kit it is a better choice than the Mora or Field Pup. Both of whom I own and have experience with. The Hultafores is my preferred choice as a back up knife to my Falkniven F1 or as a primary knife in a "budget" kit.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (09/18/13 07:03 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.