Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263575 - 09/17/13 04:28 PM Re: Colo floods [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
Most of us think about the obvious things to prep with. Water, food, clothing, etc. But one thing that caught my eye in the recent floods that I do NOT currently prep for is the destruction of sewage systems. It's bad enough when it backs up into your basement. But then the authorities pronounce a "no flushing toilets for 10+ days" order on the community.

I have a backup bucket toilet with bags and chemicals designed for emergencies, but if we became subject to a "no flushing" order for any length of time we'd be bugging out if at all possible.

#263585 - 09/17/13 09:45 PM Re: Colo floods [Re: unimogbert]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
? No one knows how to dig a latrine?

#263586 - 09/17/13 10:24 PM Re: Colo floods [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I do! As an experienced field archaeologist, I guarantee it will be a thing of beauty. I had the same thought.....

#263589 - 09/17/13 11:35 PM Re: Colo floods [Re: JBMat]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: JBMat
? No one knows how to dig a latrine?

Didn't say I didn't know how to dig a latrine. It's just that I've never applied that particular skill to my front lawn.

#263605 - 09/18/13 11:33 AM Re: Colo floods [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Do it in back, in the garden. Your tomatoes will flourish.....

#263632 - 09/20/13 02:08 AM Re: Colo floods [Re: unimogbert]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Firestone has restored safe water supply.
Some areas don't yet have sewer and are using porta-johns.

My coworker who was stranded at Pinewood Springs found a 4WD route out but it was a 1-way trip trespassing over private land. It's unknown what temporary arrangements can be made. He surely won't be commuting daily out of there.

Hwy 7 mudslide that was blocking Estes Park has been cleared and the town has "unlimited" access to try to save the tourist season. However the route to Estes Park starts in Central City and winds a long way on a paved twisty road to Estes Park. (it's a great motorcycle ride on a nice day - did it 3 weeks ago. Two of those canyon roads are now gone.)

Roads up the other canyons are being surveyed as to how to restore access. The good news is that winter is the low waterflow season. The bad news is that winter brings snow and ice and very cold temps which impedes paving. So access may be gravel/dirt for quite a long time once restored.

Other road damage is causing serious traffic issues for the remaining routes because the traffic now has to concentrate onto what remains.

Problems resulting from that are caused both by simple volume, sightseers slowing to see debris near the bridges during daylight hours, and traffic signals that have not been readjusted for the new traffic patterns.

It's not uncommon to have traffic backed up a mile on the interstate trying to get thru a signal light that only allows 8 cars per cycle even though one of the main directions given priority at the intersection is completely blocked (and will remain so for weeks/months).
State Troopers will sometimes get out of their cars and manually direct at those intersections but I can't tell if any of the light sequences and timings have been altered yet. (ya, I know they are kinda busy)

Patience is the word of the day and folks are generally well behaved but instances of a few trying to make 90 mph among the 50mph dense traffic is alarming. I hope Darwin takes care of them quickly.

#263639 - 09/20/13 04:34 PM Re: Colo floods [Re: unimogbert]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Thanks unimogbert for the updates. I've been following the story as closely as I can from up here in AK. I lived in Denver for a few years back in the early 1980's, and spent some time climbing and hiking in Boulder and other areas. I've been back through there a few times since. Very tough times for Coloradans.

I did some web surfing and just found that The Atlantic has some really sad photos and an article on the flood:

Historic Flooding Across Colorado Photos during the flood

Colorado Flooding: After the Deluge More photos, from after the flooding

From Boulder, Colorado: Notes on a Thousand-Year Flood One woman's experiences

The photos really drive home the scale of destruction.

#263643 - 09/20/13 09:30 PM Re: Colo floods [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Very thoughtful material. I too have spent some time in Boulder. The pictures look like a different planet.

#263644 - 09/20/13 10:04 PM Re: Colo floods [Re: AKSAR]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

AKSAR - those are really great pictures and The Atlantic seems to be a classy act.

Pics I've been seeing are packaged with twitching, wiggling, slow-to-load extra whirlygigs on the local media pages which is really annoying. The local media seem to be in the mode of being first to say 'gee-whiz' rather than giving a good picture of the damage.

News reported last night that US 34 from Loveland to Estes Park has 85% of the road surface damaged. While I've stopped thinking the media are in the ballpark, the pix suggest that in order to restore 34 the road will have to be built starting in with filling at the bottom and they'll have to fill their way up the hill.

Meantime 36 needs similar work and 119 Boulder canyon needs work and Left Hand Canyon needs work and roads and bridges out in Weld county need work and so forth.

At least the low water flow season is here......

#263681 - 09/23/13 01:04 AM Re: Colo floods [Re: unimogbert]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Went for a motorcycle recon this afternoon and found that several of my alternative routes have been restored. One of them goes over a bridge where I could stop and ogle. Amazing power that water has when it gangs up on you....

The roads departments are working hard to restore things. I'm happy they are.

We still don't know a lot about the canyons but I'm sure work is proceeding as quickly as they can do it.

But winter is coming. Cold front with snow line at 10,000'.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.