Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#263526 - 09/16/13 03:50 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
JPicket,

Unscientific polls are just that - unscientific - and should not be used without a lot more information. It could be that the homemade stoves were being used by people who understood the tool (since they took time to make them and probably spent time learning how to use and fix them) and the other systems were being used by people who did not even read the directions. The homemade stove owners also had a self interest in "not having problems" since they had pride in their work. Commercial alcohol stoves seldom cause problems either. Gas canister stoves seldom give problems when used according to instructions. I have used lots of stoves over the years, most of them were problem free except for operator error.
Admittedly easier in a more complex stove.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#263528 - 09/16/13 04:08 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There is a vast array of stoves from which to choose these days, and they will all bring water to a boil in a reasonable amount of time. I think I have used most major types at one time or another; for different circumstances, some are better than others. Dealing with major cold (-40F or so) you want a liquid fueled stove. Light weight? - alcohol, probably one of any number of home made varieties, or solid fuel (Esbit). Ease of use, adjustable flame,and reasonable weight - canister stoves.

If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't know that there is a problem with stoves tipping over - I have never had that problem with any stove - just start with a stable base and exercise reasonable care. An effective wind shield and a decent lid on your pot are extremely important in obtaining cooking efficiency.

When all else fails, be sure you have the materials and skill to build a campfire out of available materials. It will be a bit fussier, but you will get to eat.

#263553 - 09/17/13 01:56 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
It is my understanding that alcohol stoves are banned from all National Forests. I have been told this by a ranger, but have not bothered to check it out. Seems like the tip over problem has caused some serious fires. I can see it happening too. It would spill and the fire is almost invisible. Not a good thing.

But check the rules of your favorite National Forest to be sure.

Nomad

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.