Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262970 - 08/28/13 05:00 AM Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, so I was window shopping at the REI a month ago and saw this cool little alcohol stove made out of titanium, and it only cost $29. Not having ever used an alcohol stove for anything (well, we used to use alcohol burners in chem class back in high school, but that's different), I decided I might as well go for top o' the line. I recalled I had read a couple of good and not so good reviews on this little unit. But I had some bills in my pocket and figured I should probably spend them before they lose any more value. I got it home, and did a bit more internet research. Apparently the model I got was the "new and improved version", and allegedly works better with "HEET" fuel additive than the denatured alcohol that was recommended in the instructions. Not one to ever follow instructions, I went with the internet recommendation, and was reasonably pleased with the blue flame that eventually emanated from the stove.

So now what to do with it? So I had been eyeing one of these Stanley camp pots, made out of stainless with a flip out handle and housing two green thick plastic cups. I found one for $20, and decided it was for me. So it has a line for 20 oz of liquid, and I decided to see what the little stove would do with that. The instructions said to fill the stove, light it, and let it stoke up till the blue flames come out of the little holes around the top. Then you are to sit the pot right on the top of the stove, which helps regulate the combustion a bit. So after about 12 minutes of standing there, watching the flames undulate around the bottom of that little pot, checking the water inside for signs of a boil, and checking my watch to keep track of burn time, I concluded that the stove does not get hot enough to boil the water in this pot before running out of fuel. It did get the water hot enough to make a nice cup of hot cocoa or tea, so it was probably around 180 degrees, but I think 20 oz may be too much at one time, at least for this configuration. Maybe if I used a flatter, larger diameter pan instead, more btus would've been absorbed.

So next time I will cut it to 16 oz and see if it will get it done. I also need to come up with a windbreak, probably just an expedient heavy aluminum foil type. Another time I tried using a sterno fold up stove stand. Even though the little stove fits in the stand well, the grill holds the pot too high up off the flame.

I guess I would recommend the little stove, if you can afford it. Otherwise spend some time with a soda can or two and see if you can come up with something comparable. As for the Stanley pot, it is a decent little pot, and the handle is pretty functional, so if it had a stronger heat source it should make a cool kit pot. Ditch the plastic cups, though. Unnecessary bulk.

I saw another store here is selling the brass triangia alcohol stoves for $19. Maybe I should get one and see how that does.

Of course, I have a little coleman canister stove that I know will get the job done, but canisters are disposable, and I was hoping for something more durable.

#262972 - 08/28/13 05:14 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Thanks Tons for the review will look into this stove.
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#262977 - 08/28/13 11:23 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the very best deals at REI, or anywhere else, for that matter, is their Mini-Trangia cookset, which lists for about $34 dollars. It includes the Trangia stove, a windscreen, a small (750 ml) pot and a lid, which doubles as a frying pan (stickless coated, as well). I have two of them and the set is more than enough for solo trips. I also use the set, minus the Trangia, with my canister stove.

With any alcohol stove, and especially these lightweight titanium doodads, a good windscreen is crucial. You are correct that an alcohol stove fashioned from a discarded aluminum can will work as well as anything else out there - the cost is effectively zero. I have never used the Decagon, but it doesn't seem to get very good reviews. It is titanium -that is enough for some people, The Stanley pot is stainless, rather heavy and clunky. Maybe OK for car camping, but many things are better when you have to carry the weight.

Edited by hikermor (08/29/13 11:13 AM)

#262979 - 08/28/13 12:17 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I like stoves and carry a Trangia alcohol burner on hikes and day hikes, but I gotta confess to a reverse honeymoon period where I almost chucked the thing. I realized its an effective burner sure, but without a wind screen its not. A $2 turkey basting pan solves that. but then I had to laugh as over the next few outings my 4 inch dia pot would upset the burner and me when the flaming alcohol would engulf my cook area and spoil my meal. In other words, balancing a 4 inch pot on a 2inch burner in the real world with winds and breezes results in comical and predictable results. That's a design flaw if you ask me, and I've been on a hunt for a stove stand to provide the stability that I get from my Sveas and MSRs. Various options cost a multiple of the cost of the trangia burner, which has the priorities just about right. So cute little burner, but a poor batting average in delivery of meals absent plenty of after market upgrades.

#262982 - 08/28/13 01:54 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I mucked about with can-based methanol burners for a while, and found that a vienna suasage can with holes punched around the rim worked as well as any. Dog liked the sausages, too. Thing is, using this requires a paradigm-shift, wherein one uses the extended heating time to enjoy how quiet the burner is as it slowly, slowly, slowly heats your water. Enjoy a glass of wine, reflect on the harm that petroleum products do to the environment, celebrate the fact that your alcohol burner can operate on on organically produced fuel. Very french in outlook.

Add it to the list of things that make life seem to last longer.

#262984 - 08/28/13 02:22 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: nursemike]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Slightly OT, but related -- On the subject of organically produced fuel, rather than another alcohol stove, I went with the Vargo Titanium wood-stove. Wood in the form of small twigs and branches is much easier to find in the backwoods than alcohol, all you need is a way to focus the heat so you don't need that big fire to heat a small pot.

In use it's much like any wood fire except that you stop with kindling size wood; you don't need a roaring fire to heat water. The stove folds flat and packs easy. When I carry liquid fuel, it's either white gas or kerosene, although for clean and quick it's hard to beat an MSR MicroRocket and canister fuel; otherwise, my back-up is small and uses stuff you can find on the ground.

#262985 - 08/28/13 02:25 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

The Liberty Mountain Westwind Stove setup for the Trangia burner is nice and stable. It consists of three flat pieces of aluminum that link together.

#262992 - 08/28/13 10:13 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sump'in ain't right. I have never, ever upset a pot using a Trangia, or other burner, for that matter. I favored the Trangia especially for SAR, when you wanted to heat something up, and you didn't want to fiddle with it. You put the water on to boil and then tended to other pressing matters. In really wintry condition, you carried a SVEA or some other liquid gas gadget. Heat right now,and plenty of it!

#262993 - 08/29/13 03:52 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'm sorry hikermor, its true - a 2 inch burner with a full 4 inch pot on top, do the math - while you can balance it at some point it will tip over, and it has on me. Don't want to jinx you, but its a balancing act if you ask me. Like I said I do carry the trangia on most hikes, I like the burner, but its the old razor - razor blade story - you need both, a burner and a steady stand to avoid tipping over. So for me a $20 stove becomes a $40-60 stove assembly once its kitted out properly.

I have never adopted the ultra light philosophy though so who cares if I end up with 9 oz instead of 3oz stove, I'm ok with that. For me its always about volume or space in my pack and not the weight.

#262995 - 08/29/13 04:04 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

keep an eye out for the alcohol stove made for the Swedish Army cook kit.there the size of a hockey puck and one fill should last a couple meals and made to last.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.