The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263472 - 09/13/13 03:21 PM 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

LL Bean this year began selling a few of the Gransfors Bruks axes. I just got an e-mail that Bean is having a 20% off sale on sporting gear and their GB axes are in the sale.

Can't remember the last time I saw a GB product for under $100

Small Forest Axe: $96

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/513347?qe...amp;thumbType=0

Wildlife Hatchet: $89.60

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/513347?qe...amp;thumbType=0

Large Splitting Axe: $126.40

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77509?feat=77513-ppxs&dds=y

Also their ceramic sharpening stone:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77506?fea...harpening-stone

#263473 - 09/13/13 04:13 PM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks Dagny. I've got the Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet and it is a great tool. I'm not too fond of the GB small forest axe, the 19" length is too short for a full two hand swing and too big for one hand. GB has both small and larger that work better for me -- YMMV.

#263474 - 09/13/13 10:50 PM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
To me these prices looks like a typical rip-off even with current discounts. Unless you really love the L.L.Bean logo on your gear...

#263475 - 09/14/13 05:02 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't want to make this political, but L.L. Bean is one of the most socially responsible companies out there. Pretty much the anti-Wal-Mart. They don't have the best prices on everything but the prices on those GB axes aren't out of line with what you'll find that brand sold for elsewhere.

#263479 - 09/14/13 08:44 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

For those who are not so well-informed, what's so great about the Gränsfor Bruks? How can you tell a good axe/hatchet from a bad one?

#263480 - 09/14/13 10:12 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Bingley
For those who are not so well-informed, what's so great about the Gränsfor Bruks? How can you tell a good axe/hatchet from a bad one?

GBs are all handmade by guys that really know what they're doing. The smith initials his work so you know who built it. They're very well designed. The heat treat is outstanding, and you can put an edge that will shave your face yet still stand up to felling trees. Well, at least is you do them in that order. grin Ray Mears has carried one for years (and I don't think he has any financial interest in them). I think a Gränsfor Bruks is a little better than a Wetterling (although I think the former may have acquired the latter a few years back). You'd probably have to go the full on custom route to get anything better. One last thing to note is that generally GB uses extremely high quality handles, with none of the flaws you often see in cheaper axes.

I'm not saying the average camper would be better served with a Gränsfor Bruks hand a cheaper axe, especially if they're 1) not an expert and/or 2) don't use it all the time. But if you do a lot of work with an axe it may be worth your money.

Disclosure: I'm a major blade geek! My most expensive kitchen knife costs over $800 and I have a couple Busses in my collection. To me the cost of a really nice knife is often worth it. I don't buy based on looks (although I like pretty) but rather performance. You can't always see superior heat treat or uber high quality steel but you notice them under hard use.

#263481 - 09/14/13 11:11 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not at all necessarily political, and thank you for the info. I have started really paying attention to social responsibility since the recent horror in Bangladesh - 1000 workers killed in a building collapse. If you ask me, it is worth paying a bit more if the workers stitching your threads don't have to die in the workplace.

#263484 - 09/14/13 01:54 PM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Google "Gransfors Bruks" and you will find a tremendous amount of information and personal testimonials about why they are coveted by many. Even at full price they are reasonable for what are widely regarded as the best available axes. I was so impressed with my first one that I ended up with a collection.

Have had a couple of occasions to use the American Felling Axe (tree fall from derecho last year) and the Scandinavian Forest Axe (to knock down some small oaks at a weekend home). I also have some Wetterlings - they look the same but the GB's seem a bit finer and sharper (which you can rectify by sharpening the edge yourself).

I cannot recall ever seeing GBs on sale anywhere, ever. So was surprised and delighted to see Bean including the three models they carry in their annual fall sporting sale. Google right now and you won't find better deals anywhere.

Factor in Bean's free shipping and the integrity of their guarantee and this is a fabulous deal for those who seek to own Gransfors Bruks tools.

As for LL Bean, I've been a loyal customer for over a quarter-century. Whatever panache the Bean brand may denote they have earned through a century of quality and excellent customer service (they once saved my 4th of July vacation... long story).

Bean remains 100% family-owned and American-based. These are just some of the reasons I am an unabashed Beaniac.

P.S. I just ordered the GB sharpening stone. Plan on keeping my GBs forever and handing them down to my nieces (at least one is an outdoors enthusiast).

#263492 - 09/14/13 11:12 PM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the subject of axes, a worthy read:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/07/17/how-to-restore-an-heirloom-axe/

How to Restore an Heirloom Axe

#263493 - 09/15/13 12:08 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good article, thanks. I have a few old bits without wood that need to be restored, the article is good motivation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.