The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#263243 - 09/04/13 02:23 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
personally, i think a water bottle should have water in it.

Bob

#263246 - 09/04/13 02:27 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: ILBob]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ILBob
personally, i think a water bottle should have water in it.

I totally agree. I like the molle container, and the plastic bag for shelter (always a critical component). No survival kit is complete without some type of shelter for maintaining your body temperature. Shelter, signalling, water and water purification, then fire. Remember the rule of threes!

#263252 - 09/04/13 03:44 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like adding a pair of trash bags, instructions and maybe duct tape around the outside.

#263257 - 09/04/13 05:39 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: Phaedrus]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Bruce, what water bottle is that that you're using? Source?

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The only thing I do differently is that I use a Maxpedition bottle holder; that way I can have a 40oz bottle full of water, a pot and all of the survival stuff in the pouch.

Same here.

#263258 - 09/04/13 06:27 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a similar looking large-mouth nalgene type SS bottle labeled "guyotdesigns" (not on their website), also in an insulated Maxpedition bottle holder.

#263260 - 09/04/13 10:06 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I too use a Maxped bottle holder to hold my nalgene, cup, and other items. To increase the space, I trimmed out the insulation and inner layer of fabric. I now can squeeze in a Trangia burner and a fuel container.

#263263 - 09/04/13 10:47 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i always felt that a metal container was %100 necessary in any kit.
making a hot drink and food gos a long way in making a bad situation a bit better.i would get rid of the multiple fire making gizmos and get some sort of dry soup or food bar that could be cooked up in there.

#263266 - 09/05/13 04:52 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I too use a Maxped bottle holder to hold my nalgene, cup, and other items. To increase the space, I trimmed out the insulation and inner layer of fabric. I now can squeeze in a Trangia burner and a fuel container.

Thanks, I should have also mentioned that. I carefully cut out the insulation, too. That made enough room that I can fit a bain marie pot in there. That's an insert made for commercial steam table/wells in a restaurant. They're heavy gauge SS and have a lid, and I found a 1 L one that nests nicely with my 40 oz bottle. Not as light as a $50 titanium pot much it only cost about $4 with lid at a restaurant supply store.

Thanks to to the OP for the original post. I don't mean to hijack it; it's a very good idea. Your first post gave me a few ideas to tweak my own kit. I should take a few pics of the contents of mine. Mine is also biased heavily towards fire.

Using the bottle holder does as some bulk but it also provides a means of carry. It has a should strap, plus it has a bunch of MOLLE webbing to either mount it to a pack or lash it to a vehicle. Lots of options.

At any rate, I personally don't like to carry an empty water bottle. You save the weight of the water but none of the space; plus, I would rather have the water! Of course if I lived in MN instead of SD I probably wouldn't carry water, just the container. It all depends on your environment.

#263269 - 09/05/13 11:39 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I like the idea of a metal water bottle kit. I wish I could see how the split rings are attached, as that is a nice improvement if the bottle were to be used for emergency boiling over a fire. Are they wired on?

I have looked at those cheap pre-filled kits sold in a plastic water bottle and concluded that they were not worth carrying. A stainless steel bottle in which you could boil water and cook food and a kit designed for the regional needs of the user is a great idea.

I came to a better understanding of the reasons that opinions differ so much on what should be carried as I walked around the deserts near Moab, Utah this summer. Most of the things that I believe to be critical to carry in the lake and river filled boreal forest were not so important there, and other things took on a new importance for me. I don't want to hijack the thread by getting into that here.

My 'survival' kits are getting smaller, as I concede the difference between what I really need to 'survive', and what I would like to have with me for 'comfort'. I have been working on a 'core' kit that will travel from pack to bike to hunting coat. Additional gear would be added for seasonal/regional/activity differences.

#263271 - 09/05/13 01:43 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
Herman30 Online   content
Addict

Loc: Finland
I would pack the items in a cloth pouch before stuffing into the bottle. That way, when using the bottle for boiling or transporting water, all the stuff keeps together in a manageble way.

PS. Just noticed that Montanero has mentioned that.

Edited by Herman30 (09/05/13 01:45 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 639 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.