The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#263086 - 08/31/13 02:18 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: JPickett]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Since the primary tool I use is the knife blade, I carry a locking folder (BM 940, 710 or RSK Mk1) because they are lighter and easier to carry and more convenient to use. Then I keep a Leatherman MT handy -- either a Supertool or the Charge TTi. Right now the Supertool is in my truck and the Charge sits at the bottom of my EDC backpack.

#263087 - 08/31/13 02:31 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I guess I'm a "contrarian", in that I don't routinely carry a multitool or a fixed blade. I like to keep things simple, so maybe that makes me a "simpleton"? smile

I always carry a modest folder. At work that't usually a Gerber LST. Very lightweight, thin and unobtrusive in the pocket of my slacks, and quite adequate for my needs. Outside of work I usually carry a SAK instead. About the only time I don't have a knife in my pocket is when it is forbidden, such as when I'm on a commercial flight. If I'm out in the boonies I generally have a short lanyard in my pocket. On it is a folder, a waterproof match case, a Windmill stormproof lighter, and a small compass. I find I can usually manage firebuilding quite well enough without a fixed blade.

With an nod to hikermor, we don't have cactus around here, and such spines as we have (notably devils club) are best dealt with using tweazers. I don't do much technical climbing anymore so I don't need to deal with stuck locking biners. I spend a lot of time outdoors but in general I don't find that I need a multitool for most of my outdoor activities. Therefore I don't see the point of carrying the weight. As the old saying goes: "When in doubt...leave it out!"

Pliers, screw drivers etc are most useful when one has to deal with nuts, bolts, screws, cotter pins etc. Therefore I do carry a multitool occaisionally in situations where it is more likely to be useful. I usually have one on if I'm fishing or messing around on boats. I often carry one while doing chores at home. When backpacking it is nice to have one multi in the group in case we need to do a field repair on a stove. When sea kayaking I carry a small repair kit which includes a multi, in case we need to fix a rudder or something of that nature. Getting entangled is always a hazard on the water, so I have a stout fixed blade serrated "river knife" on my PFD.

Those are my choices, based on my experience and my situation. Your experience, your situation, and your choices may of course differ. smile

#263088 - 08/31/13 02:44 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
In my younger days, I was never without a knife. Like all of the other guys in grade school, I carried a pocket knife which was used at recess for mumbley peg or whittling. In my teen years I switched to a belt carried SAK, and eventually to a series of Buck 110's, some of which I broke by prying or hammering. As I recall, I purchased a big Western W36 fixed blade for hunting in my mid-20's.

I still have my Buck 110, and Buck 112 but sadly, they reside in my gun safe now. In my opinion, their best use is where a fixed blade would draw unwanted attention, but a bigger knife is still necessary, such as mobile hunting situations where you expect to go into town. Some of the guys I deer hunt with use big folders on their belt to avoid the clanging or poking of a fixed blade on their deer stand seat. I keep a fixed blade Bear MGC in my pack for deer dressing. It grips better than a folder, and is easier to get clean after field use.

I love my old Bucks, but they live at home now. This thread may inspire me to break them out this fall and take them into the woods for old times sake.

As far as EDC, I am never without my Gen 1 Leatherman Wave (not at work), and my Vic Classic. When I am in the back woods, I usually carry one of my Beckers on my pack.

#263089 - 08/31/13 02:56 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
One more comment regarding multitools. As I noted above, I'm a keep it simple kind of guy.

The trend these days seems to be to add more and more tools to the multi. I see scissors, saws, bit drivers, tweezers, magnifiers etc. I fail to see much point in most of the additional stuff that seems to be fashionable on multitools. For example, what is the point of scissors? I can't think of much that I would need scissors for that I can't do with a sharp knife. If I really expect to need a bit driver, I should probably just carry my tool box with real tools.

I have several multis, but they are all the most basic kinds. My favorite is a Leatherman Kick, with just pliers, screw drivers, knife blade, can and bottle opener. Interestingly, Leatherman has discontinued that model, as apparently simple doesn't sell as well as complex. My other favorite is a Leatherman Juice C2. It's not quite as robust as the Kick, but it is nice and compact. I do find the corkscrew to be a very useful accessory! smile

#263090 - 08/31/13 03:43 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
As other have wisely said, it depends on the application.

For serious bushcraft work or hunting, it's hard to beat the strength, reach, and cleanability of a fixed blade. Cleanup of folders is a bit of a job. And I can't imagine how you'd get all that goo out of a Leatherman. Maybe run it through the dishwasher when DW isn't looking?

I have a lot of nice fixed blades, but in practice I find that I rarely have one on my belt. So I focus on folders, which I have in abundance.

My usual combination is a Leatherman for the pliers and a clip-on folder as my go-to cutting edge. I don't usually have expensive folders, as these are my SAAB (s___ and abuse) tools that get burned up or lost over time.

Love the Mora steel, though, and the Scandi-grind. Their folders are few and far between. I really want one (or a box) of these:

#263093 - 08/31/13 04:59 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: AKSAR]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
. For example, what is the point of scissors? I can't think of much that I would need scissors for that I can't do with a sharp knife.

I find a folding scissors to be very useful, although I don't argue your point that a knife would also do these things, and agree that some multi-tools have gotten nearly big enough to require their own propulsion systems. I use scissors to cut open packages of jerky, cut paper, small cordage, open envelopes/packages, make tinder from jute, trim broken fingernails, snip off fish hooks, mark my deer tag, and trim wicks.

My wife also borrows it for the scissors on a frequent basis for undisclosed reasons. IMO, these things are done more safely with a scissors than with a blade.

One day, not being a slave to fashion and finding myself miles down a trail on an unexpectedly hot day, I used my L-Wave scissors to cut the long sleeves off of my flannel shirt at the shoulders. I seriously considered doing that to my cargo pants too, but wisely decided against it. I retained said sleeves to safety pin back onto the shirt when it cooled off, coincidentally providing unequaled ventilation at the armpits.

I still have that 'convertible' shirt, and the scissors that spawned it.

#263095 - 08/31/13 06:31 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I have a ton of multi-tools. Usually two on me, key chain and pocket, one in the truck, one in wife's SUV, one in each BOB (2x), one in my desk I need to send to Leatherman for repair and probably a couple I left out.

I also sometimes carry a folder, usually on my belt. The folder does the job a multi-tool really isn't designed for. Like cutting heavy stuff. The folder has a more robust blade than the mut and I can control it better.

#263098 - 08/31/13 06:54 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I took my Mora and BG fixed blades with me on an overnighter with bacpacboy this week, as well as my Bacho Laplander folding saw. They were the perfect tools for around camp. However, I kept my CRKT Mt. Rainier in on my belt as well. It was perfect for collecting tinder an slicing up an apple during a day hike. It was hot and humid and the less I had to carry the better. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#263100 - 08/31/13 07:32 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I like fixed blades and my Leatherman (Charge Ti) but my issue is with ease of carry and weight.

My favorite knives:

--Ritter Mk2 (fixed): 12.8 oz -- belt - or bag - only
--Leatherman Charge Ti: 8.4 oz -- belt is best, big for clip
--Ritter Mk3 (fixed): 5.7 oz -- belt only
--Ritter Mk1: 3.82 oz -- good clipped, big for EDC
--Ritter Mk1 mini: 2.68 oz -- my EDC

Of course a lot depends on your own circumstances.

At home and around town (suburbs) my Mk1 mini does everything I need. If I need pliers, a screwdriver, or whatever, I get them out of my toolbox. If I have car troubles, well, a Leatherman isn't going to fix my car. I call a tow truck.

When car camping I ALWAYS bring along both a fixed blade (usually my Mk3). It gets used a lot - cooking, fire prep. I ALWAYS bring the Leatherman, but the LM doesn't typically get used much. I also always bring a saw (bow or folding) and an axe (I prefer a long handled axe). One of my Mk1's was always clipped on my pocket.

I don't backpack anymore, but when I did weight was everything, so I typically only carried one of the Mk1's clipped.

For survival, well, consider me in the "a survival knife is the knife you have when you need it" camp. I carry minimal gear and dress for potential weather. I like Peter Kummerfeldt's view of survival gear (see outdoorsafe.com)

I carry a PLB and bring the minimal gear needed to survive until rescue. A knife is going to have to help me stay dry and warm while I wait. It will cut things - smallish things. It won't split wood. No snares. No building log cabins. At most it may need to cut small saplings, which my Ritter Mk1 mini has done.

#263101 - 08/31/13 09:01 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
Pete Offline
Veteran

these days if I am doing wilderness work, especially overseas, I nearly always carry a single-blade folder as my primary tool. the locking mechanisms on these knives are generally excellent, and so is the blade quality if you spend good money.

I used to carry fixed blades and have nothing against them - for purely wilderness or survival uses. I carry the folder because it functions as both a survival tool and a good self-defense weapon. fixed blades knives are long and cannot fit in your pocket. if you are overseas and carry one on a sheath on your belt, then you could attract the attention of policemen (generally after a bribe). a good locking folder, with a blade of 3-5 inches, will fit neatly into a pocket when folded, and is hardly visible. so it's a one-stop-fits-all solution.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (08/31/13 09:02 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.