The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#263103 - 08/31/13 09:10 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

It depends on your lifestyle and what you do

From MY experience, I noticed the two most commonly used tools are the knife & the pliers ( in that order ). A SAK has no pliers so it is out in my case. Multitools do have pliers but they are heavy and have a dozen tools that I rarely use, so they stay in the car and inside the bag. What I cary in my pocket and USE DAILY is a folding knife.

In addition to cutting, I use it for light prying ( like half an hour ago, I pryed out a dead battery out of a clock).

There is a medical problem in my right hand which affects the use of my thumb, so the folding knife comes in handy in many of the day-to-day chores. For example, instead of exerting more pressure to open a stubborn packet , I just cut it or poke it with the knife .... that makes my life easier.

A multi will be a bit too heavy to carry around , and the tools are rarely used in my case. So, MT's stay around here and there , but not in my pockets

So, again, it all depends on your lifestyle & situation

#263105 - 08/31/13 10:39 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I EDC a Leatherman wave that's used 4-5 times a week, and also have a SOG folder I carry everywhere. The SOG I use, like many others on the forum, for heavy cutting chores. The blade on the leatherman I use only when I don't have my SOG (rarely). When I DO use the Leatherman blades, I'm not worried about getting the blade out fast. This ain't a race, and I'm usually the only one with a blade anyway. I have a leatherman micra on the keychain as well. So redundancy is my motto. Weight I don't worry about. I'm carrying more around my gut than any series of blades would add up to.

#263109 - 09/01/13 02:01 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I prefer a single blade folder for EDC. All kinds of reasons: the first being simplicity. I don't have to mess around with orienting, then finding the blade, then opening like I would with a SAK. I don't have to deal with the flak of having a fixed blade in public which is frowned upon by most LEOs. It's easier to open, use and close single handedly. A single blade is compact and fits in my pocket and clips on. The blade is larger and less of a compromise than using a SAK style knife. It's the right size and weight for carrying and not be threatening. Single edge, not serrated it works very well for slicing, cutting and opening packages/boxes. I use it for cutting up lunch (so much handier and sharper than any knife in the cafeteria) and quite a bit around the kitchen because it's with me all the time and I don't have to reach for the knife block. I carried a small folder on me practically since I was a boy and I still get a kick out of watching "innocents" aka non-knife carriers, and their reactions to me using a pocket knife. I silently scream to them how foolish they are for not carrying anything.

I wore a Delica 2 for years then switched to a very similar Salt 1, a this year changed to a larger Tenacious (although I might switch back to a Delica 4). I do carry a SAK, actually both a L-Wave and L-Squirt as EDC backups just not as primary. The pliers on the wave are used a lot and the scissors on the Squirt are used a lot. I also carry a bit kit. I used my L-Wave and electric nut driver as my only tools to assemble my new BBQ.

Edited by Roarmeister (09/01/13 03:09 AM)

#263120 - 09/01/13 05:14 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Roarmeister]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I view a multi-tool as what you use when you can't get to your real tools. It's an emergency stand-in. A Jack of All Trades, Master of None.

I just don't find the ergonomics of any multi-tool to be good. They are clever, but cumbersome and awkward. However they can help you complete a simple task in a pinch if you have nothing better to work with. They are good in that role. But as a general replacement for real tools ... not even close. I'll take a folding or fixed blade knife over a multi-tool any day.

#263132 - 09/01/13 03:01 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
One of my reasons to EDC a MT/SAK with scissors; I never get caught by my wife cutting paper on the top of one of her tables, scoring the surface with a blade.

#263145 - 09/01/13 10:37 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: haertig]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Try the Victorinox Spirit. It's solidly built and the handles are shaped similar to a set of pliers. Usual disclaimers apply. Just own older Gerbers, both styles of Victorinox, and a Leatherman PST knockoff.

#263147 - 09/02/13 01:15 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: JPickett]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JPickett
One of my reasons to EDC a MT/SAK with scissors; I never get caught by my wife cutting paper on the top of one of her tables, scoring the surface with a blade.

Or in my case, using the WRONG pair of her scissors to cut something with. Evidently there is a difference between "paper scissors", "sewing scissors", "food scissors", "eyebrow scissors", and "dog hair trimming scissors". Who would have thought?

#263150 - 09/02/13 05:06 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
To me a Spyderco Delica or Endura on the large side will do anything I need a folding knife to do. Any more than that and I'll probably use my RAT7 or something.

#263156 - 09/02/13 11:18 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the more useful types of scissors would be "EMT shears," (you now, the ones advertised as slicing through pennies) - much safer to use around tender flesh.

#263166 - 09/02/13 05:49 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
One of the more useful types of scissors would be "EMT shears," (you now, the ones advertised as slicing through pennies) - much safer to use around tender flesh.

We have several pairs of those from back in my paramedic days. They are great utility scissors. They don't do as well cutting thin limp stuff (like a strand of dental floss - unless you pull it really tight), but they are fantastic for the heavier-duty materials. They don't cost much either. I think of EMT shears like I think of Mora knives. Good solid workhorses that are strong on function, light on style.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.