The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#263055 - 08/30/13 06:48 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
It all depends, doesn't it? Just walkin' around, whether in the suburbs, city, or the woods, a kabar dozier (one hand opening, locking, easy to sharpen, only weighs 2.2 oz) and the PS4 covers 99% of anyone's needs. UNLESS you're a farmer, electrician, etc, etc. Why carry the extra weight unless you really need it?

#263058 - 08/30/13 06:59 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
wouldn't let met delete entry

Edited by LesSnyder (08/30/13 08:14 PM)

#263060 - 08/30/13 09:10 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

One hand opening single blade folders are very practical. I usually find myself holding what I want to cut with one hand before I pull out a cutting tool. The locking blade also enables types of work I would not do with anything else other than a fixed blade. There are new models of multi-tools with one hand opening, locking blades which I find very useful. I do usually carry a single blade, one hand opening, locking blade folder, and I do use them frequently for cutting just about everything imaginable, even in the kitchen.

#263062 - 08/30/13 09:37 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The single blade folder has several advantages over the multitool. The handling is better, the blades are usually sturdier and the knife is easier to clean. The blades of multitools use to have steel inferior to that of a good folder.
I will not use the weight argument as I carry a multitool as well if I think I might need it.

#263063 - 08/30/13 10:05 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: LesSnyder]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The single-bladed "tactical" folder essentially splits the difference between a fixed blade and a multi-tool, with an emphasis on convenience.

Obviously more specialized tools would be better depending on the task and the environment, but you can't carry everything all the time.

I don't always have the opportunity to switch between a fixed blade for the sticks, or a multi-tool for an urban area, or a dive knife for on the boat. Even when I do, whatever I choose might not end up being the right tool for the job anyway.

The majority of the time, I've just got my single bladed Benchmade clipped to my pocket and I make do. Be it in the sticks, at the office, on the construction site, or out on the boat.

Yea, sometimes it gets abused because it's not the right tool for the job, but after 10+ years of carrying and using the same tool every single day you get a pretty good idea of what it can and can't handle.

#263064 - 08/30/13 10:24 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Paul810]
NAro Offline
Addict

I have more knives than common sense, and yet I find that I grab my RSK folders first for most tasks. As opposed to a fixed blade (I have custom fix blades, a 40 year old Randall, and my cheap and battered mora) the RSK folder is always in my pocket and I always seem to go for it first. The way I hunt, camp, and tramp in the woods... that folder does everything I want a knife to do. Yep, I have an array of multi-tools too. I STILL grab the RSK folder first. Creature of habit, I guess.

#263065 - 08/31/13 12:29 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Weapon, where fixed blade knives are illegal to conceal?

I like the SA bantam cause of the multi tool bit.

On those locking biners- they usually get frozen closed because someone locks them when they are under tension. Just girth hitch a sling around them and add a bit of body weight and they should unscrew. I have collected several this way at anchor stations where people did a hanging belay before they screwed the gate closed.

#263067 - 08/31/13 12:49 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: clearwater]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Weapon, where fixed blade knives are illegal to conceal?

My thought exactly. You can't conceal carry (in the pocket or even in the bag) a fixed blade in California. Open carry is out of fashion here either (except when in the woods). But I'm using LM Wave for almost everything now anyway. To address the lesser steel quality of the multitool blade there are several other cutting blades available, just chose wisely what to use for what.

For the pliers - think of them as an Iron Man hand/fingers smile You will see then a lot of decent applications for them in the field as well as in the urban environment, especially if you add a small bungee cord to keep them closed and hangable.

Also I disagree with opinions about the lack of swiftness in arming the MT knife. At least on the Wave, all you need to do is to loosen the pivot screw a little, so you can open the blade with one hand's thumb easily, and practice doing that for a while.

#263081 - 08/31/13 11:57 AM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Alex
To address the lesser steel quality of the multitool blade there are several other cutting blades available, just chose wisely what to use for what.

Has anyone died as a result of the "lesser steel quality" of their blade. I can get Wave blade to the point that I can shave forearm hairs (I use a Sharpmaker) and I do this now and then, most likely before a prolonged field trip. When I am actually going to shave, I go with a cheap disposable razor. When I cut paper, I use scissors. Frankly, I think a lot of the dithering about steel types doesn't translate to real world effectiveness.

I have been carrying my Wave for about two years, and it hass gotten to the point where it opens very nicely with one finger as I draw it from its holster. I am very comfortable with it at this point.

Edited by hikermor (08/31/13 12:05 PM)

#263083 - 08/31/13 12:47 PM Re: Role of a single-blade folder? [Re: Denis]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I have a multitool I keep on my belt or in a pocket (it's really small) which offers a short clip blade, short saw, phillips and straight screwdrivers, pliers and an led. This will do almost anything I need while in the city. If I'm in the country I also carry a fixed blade (generic) on my belt. It is for batoning and anything else the little multi's not up to. I sharpen both when I go to the woods.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.