Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262997 - 08/29/13 06:41 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I believe with less water, and a good windscreen, the Vargo Decagon stove will eventually bring the water to a boil. It won't be quick, and it will be temperature sensitive, and it is not easily regulated, but it will work, and it is quite portable.

Unlike the tip-easy trangia, the Decagon has a much wider base plate, so the stove itself is not easily tipped, but a pot sitting on top would still have the same problem if it's diameter is much more than two inches.

I have in mind a couple different designs for a more stable and hotter burning alcohol stove. I am thinking a donut shape about 4" diameter, with an indented ring around the middle of the top part, roughly 1/3" deep. Inside the indented ring is a row of perforations, and a small dent perpendicular to the indented ring intersecting at each hole. You should be able to double the fuel capacity and the btus/min enough to get a liter of water boiling in about 6 minutes. You could also build a windscreen around the outside, tangent to the outer diameter of the donut, going up vertically. Maybe I will do some autocad tomorrow at work.

It would also be nice to find a packable, portable rocket stove. I may have to work on that as well.

#262998 - 08/29/13 07:03 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you have a trangia and use it as it is design to (the 25 and 27 models), not the useless ultralight version. Than the setup is almost as stable as a big rock on flat ground. Not the 25 and 27 are not super light, but very efficient, stable and reliable.

#263005 - 08/29/13 11:17 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You can take your pick of 3oz burner heads for canister stove - MSR's Pocket Rocket and Micro Rocket.as well as Snow Peak's model, the Giga Power. All tuck away nicely and are blazing hot, except when it gets really cold.

#263009 - 08/29/13 02:35 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: hikermor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: hikermor
You can take your pick of 3oz burner heads for canister stove - MSR's Pocket Rocket and Micro Rocket.as well as Snow Peak's model, the Giga Power. All tuck away nicely and are blazing hot, except when it gets really cold.

I love my GigaPower stove; pair it with something like the GSI Soloist (my choice) or Minimalist and you get your stove, fuel & pot all in one compact package.

#263012 - 08/29/13 02:58 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: Denis]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I like my Jetboil stove. Boils fast and it is not too heavy.

(Except when it gets really cold. Then I go back to my good old Wisperlite burning white gas.)

#263015 - 08/29/13 03:33 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A Vango Powerex Kettle may help with the fuel efficiency with the decagon stove.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/vango-powerex-kettle.html

I have put a spare Mil spec Trangia burner in with a Ghillie Adventurer Kettle + Cook Kit. A 500ml Trangia bottle fits into the Chimney along with some fat wood stick + tinder + firesteel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trangia-0-5L-Bottle-Safety-Valve/dp/B000AR7966/ref=pd_sim_sg_20

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/29/13 03:34 PM)

#263031 - 08/30/13 02:21 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Benjamin .. quick hint. I have fooled around with homemade stoves (fueled by alcohol) for urban survival ... i mostly used them to boil a small amount of water for tea or soup. the vapors from the alcohol can condense on cooler stuff above the stove. I dunno if that will happen with a professional alcohol stove. maybe not. it does with homemade stoves made out of Coke cans. so if your pot containing the water (to be boiled) is open, you can wind up with some alcohol in your water. the moral is - make sure you cover up the container you are heating ... add a lid :-)

Pete2

#263034 - 08/30/13 11:47 AM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: Pete]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I could the potential for that happening. The Stanley pot I used has a lid, and you have to use it to get the temp up, so pretty safe there, but a sierra cup might could have such an issue in the right circumstances. Methanol would be bad news.

#263039 - 08/30/13 02:35 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Any time you attempt to boil water without a lid, you are wasting time and fuel. Foil works as well as anything.

#263524 - 09/16/13 03:10 PM Re: Equipment review, Decagon alcohol stove etc [Re: benjammin]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I began looking at home-made alcohol stoves when I read on another forum of the long distance hiker (name escapes me) who took a pole of hikers on the Appalachian trail a dozen years or so ago. He just asked them what kind of cooking system they used and whether they had problems with their choice of stove. He reported the hikers using homemade alcohol stoves experienced zero failures, all the other systems; gas, butane, wood etc. had some degree of difficulty or failure. And as pointed out, a homemade stove is essentially free.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.