Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#263195 - 09/03/13 03:25 PM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Alternatively, maybe Phaedrus is a Sous Chief.....

Edited by hikermor (09/03/13 08:43 PM)

#263225 - 09/04/13 04:35 AM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: RNewcomb]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
you fellows have talked the place up so much in response to RN's post that i made motel reservations for next Sunday already.
just a place to sleep with a Perkins close by so we will feel right at home,no buffalo or that sour pie for Minnesotan's!!
Google street view is really handy to see what your getting into!

#263230 - 09/04/13 08:35 AM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Alternatively, maybe Phaedrus is a Sous Chief.....

Very punny! wink

#263292 - 09/06/13 01:32 AM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: RNewcomb]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Try your hand at panning for gold after checking out the Homestake Gold Mine.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#263303 - 09/06/13 05:02 AM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: RNewcomb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I doubt you'll find a lot of gold in the streams since they've been panned for 150 years! Tried it as a kid, though. It was fun but I didn't find any gold...

#263308 - 09/06/13 05:02 PM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Phaedrus, too bad things didn't pan out...(Come to think of it,does that expression come from gold placer mining?)

The South Dakota School of Mines in Rapid City has a very fine museum which will inform the visitor about the very interesting geology of the Black Hills..

#263421 - 09/10/13 01:21 AM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Was that roadside cultural center the White River Visitor Center? - pretty nifty spot!

Yes, actually it was. I had forgotten the name, thank you for reminding me.

#263433 - 09/10/13 01:43 PM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

You also mentioned Wounded Knee, which I haven't visited, but which I should. So should any thoughtful citizen - WK was not exactly a highlight in the interaction between cultures.

#263460 - 09/12/13 02:53 AM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Go to South Dakota State University in Brooking, SD. Find Shepard Hall, the old chemistry building and go to the first lab on the 2nd to the right of the main staircase. Look up at the ceiling halfway down the center lab bench and let me know if the burn marks are still there. eek

Whatever you do, DON'T tell anyone there you're a friend of Blast.

Edited by Blast (09/12/13 02:54 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#263462 - 09/12/13 12:50 PM Re: Heading to South Dakota for a week - Suggestions? [Re: RNewcomb]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
There were so many great suggestions in this thread!

We're back, and we had a great time!

We stayed just out of Keystone, a couple miles from Custer Park. The location was really good, and the campground was really nice. If you want to camp it, but want to have some access to ammenities, Spokane Creek Camp and Cabins is a good choice. Their Cinnamon roles are awesome!

We took in the Mammoth Site, which was actually much cooler than even I thought it was going to be. The fiance loved it.

We drove through both loops of Custer State Park.. Needles and Wildlife. Sylvan lake was beautiful.

We decided to take Trail 9 up to Harney Peak and back. That turned into quite a hike, but I made sure we were pretty well prepared. I would have taken a little more water, as we were out by the time we got back to the truck, but we were fine.

I didn't go into Rushmore, but got some good pictures from several spots. We did go through Crazy Horse. Crazy Horse is much bigger than you would expect, and Rushmore seemed a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

We took the Gas-Lamp tour through Crystal Cave. It was cool, but after 752 steps navigating those tunnels, I was ready to get out. Fiance wasn't a huge fan of the bats, but she did better than a couple others on the tour. smile

We went though Bear Country, which was really good. They had a lot of animals I don't think we would have ever seen in Custer w/o getting way into the sticks.. (Black Bears, Artic Foxes, Elk etc..)

Keystone is a tourist trap. There's really no other way to describe it. The food was mediocre at best, and too expensive.

We drove up to Deadwood/Lead to see the falls up there, and did a little gambling in Deadwood. We almost got lost on some logging roads north of the falls, glad I had my GPS with me.

Lastly, we did make it down to the Cascade Falls area, and the Angostura Reservoir. The drive was pretty, and the Reservoir was nice, but not sure if it was worth driving all the way back into.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.