Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#257886 - 03/22/13 01:59 PM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
potassium dose and source
============================
130 mg tabs....more info at the link

How And When To Take Potassium Iodide
Potassium iodide should be taken as soon as possible after public health officials tell you. You should take one dose every 24 hours. More will not help you because the thyroid can "hold" only limited amounts of iodine. Larger doses will increase the risk of side effects. You will probably be told not to take the drug for more than 10 days.
=======================
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006N...modesurvblog-20

#258594 - 04/05/13 11:50 AM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: unimogbert]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
With that guy in N Korea threatening an A bomb attack wouldnt be a bad idea to make sure your rad preps are there.While I think credibility is very low,this is cheap insurance.

I picked up a couple of these for the BOB's
http://www.amazon.com/iOSAT-Potassium-Iodide-Tablets-130/dp/B00006NT3A

iOSAT Potassium Iodide Tablets, 130 mg (14 Tablets)
by iOSAT

Price: $7.38 ($3.84 / oz)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by

Please read all label information upon delivery
Reduces chance of thyroid damage in a radiation emergency
Safe for babies, children, pregnant and nursing women, those taking medicine for thyroid problem
One dose every 24 hours for no more than 10 days
Possible side effects include skin rash, swelling salivary glands, iodism

#258611 - 04/05/13 06:22 PM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: spuds]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
KI pills are not particularly useful during most radiation events. They only protect against uptake of radioactive iodines, and won't protect you from any external exposure even to that.

Ensure that you don't have an iodine allergy before taking these, or you could do yourself a lot more harm than good.

If it is recommended that stable iodine be taken, you can use Betadine, water purifying tabs, iodized salt or any other source of stable iodine and have the same protective effect.

Greg

#262729 - 08/23/13 04:09 AM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: unimogbert]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Bumping this old thread on Fukushima.
The Japanese power company increased the risk ratings at Fukushima this last week. Independent experts say the problem of leakage of radioactive elements into the Pacific Ocean is worse than they are telling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23779561

Pete2

#262735 - 08/23/13 12:40 PM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: unimogbert]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Awaiting Godzilla to emerge!!

#262737 - 08/23/13 02:59 PM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: gonewiththewind]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Quote:
Awaiting Godzilla to emerge!!

Record player with "Blue Oyster Cult" album on stand-by...

#262738 - 08/23/13 03:13 PM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: unimogbert]
Pete Offline
Veteran

OK - well I'm in California.
I'll start checking the sand on the beach each day and see if I see any big footprints.

So far I've tried to avoid the usual paranoia and have not bought a Geiger Counter or any other radiation detector. But I've got to wonder - who's checking our seafood for radiation levels. And would they tell us the truth ... if they got a high reading?

Pete2

#262749 - 08/23/13 06:31 PM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: Pete]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And would they tell us the truth ... if they got a high reading?

Er, Nope. Did your local and national government advise you the dangers of the Nuclear fallout hot particles in California 2 years ago?

BTW if its a Plutonium hot particle (Fukishima Diachi 3 MOX reactor) it will loose half its radioactivity after about 34,000 years. frown

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/23/13 06:37 PM)

#262751 - 08/23/13 06:47 PM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pete
But I've got to wonder - who's checking our seafood for radiation levels. And would they tell us the truth ... if they got a high reading?

Along similar lines, I've wondered about seafood from the Gulf after Deepwater Horizon. That's gotta be one of the biggest science experiments around, pouring millions of gallons of Corexit into the ecosystem. Where did all that crude go? The question you gotta ask is, "Does anyone profit from warning us? Does anyone profit from NOT warning us?"

Well, another option is the "Charlie Brown and Lucy playing football" trick--right when you're about to hit the alarm button to warn people about levels being too high, just raise the "acceptable" level of radiation even higher and all that radioactive worry just sails right on by.

But back to Fukushima, the situation seems to be getting worse again, with all the recent news about contaminated groundwater flowing into the sea, or even worse, undetected leaks of highly contaminated reactor cooling water from storage tanks on site. And by "leaks," I'm talking tons of water per day. TEPCO has no idea how to stop either problem. There's talk of raising the nuclear disaster threat level from a 1 back to 3 over these issues.

They're so lucky that they haven't had another big quake in the immediate area for a long time. I don't think most of these jury rigged external storage tanks and cooling systems are that robust, from what I've read.

TEPCO is getting closer (that's a relative term) to starting to actually remove fuel assemblies from the spent fuel pool, from Reactor 4 first, IIRC. No easy task. The original overhead cranes and equipment were destroyed. The area is highly radioactive. The fuel assemblies were buried in debris from the cranes and building, the rods were overheated, and sat in salt water for all this time. No telling what condition they are in or whether they can even be removed safely without bursting into flames once in the open air and releasing radiation, or worst case, triggering a nuclear reaction right in the fuel pool if they jostle enough fuel assemblies close together. Sounds like the script from a movie but unfortunately, it's real life and going on right now.

#262795 - 08/24/13 03:50 AM Re: WHO pronounces Fukushima cancer risk [Re: unimogbert]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Along similar lines, I've wondered about seafood from the Gulf after Deepwater Horizon. That's gotta' be one of the biggest science experiments around, pouring millions of gallons of Corexit into the ecosystem"

that's a good point Arney. I scratched my head on that one too. How could they pour all that chemical contamination into the Gulf, then come out with TV adds (6-12 months later) proclaiming a "miracle recovery" after the accident. seems like a lot of people are eating the Corexit pollutant every time they order sushi in the USA.

Something needs to be DONE about Fukushima. This situation is clearly beyond anything that the Japanese know how to handle. The world needs to draw a line, tell them to stop and become transparent with their data, and get some global experts in there fast.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (08/24/13 03:52 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.