Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#262846 - 08/26/13 12:34 AM Re: Water disinfection methods [Re: chaosmagnet]
Pete Offline
Veteran

within the USA I have used the filters extensively and they work fine.

overseas, the ENEMY of all "systems" is good old-fashioned dirt. once you've got dirty water as your starting ingredient, all bets are off. filters clog fast and are a real hassle to clean (especially Katadyn's).

chemicals like bleach, iodine, chlorine all taste pretty bad in the water. nothing cancels out the taste. most people will not drink it once it tastes terrible, so the majority of people get dehydrated. have to admit that I was the most disciplined of the people in the various groups that I traveled with, and even I got sick of "chemical water" fairly quickly.

strain out the large gunk, and boil the water.
or buy pure.

cheers,
Pete

#262850 - 08/26/13 01:20 AM Re: Water disinfection methods [Re: Pete]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
IIRC pouring between containers will help with chlorine taste. If time isn't a factor, letting it stand for a day will also remove the chlorine content if it is regular chlorine and not a chloramine.

#263527 - 09/16/13 03:51 PM Re: Water disinfection methods [Re: chaosmagnet]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
While perusing the 'net, I came across the Seychelle water filter, something I remember reading about; not always in a good light. Anyone here have an opinion on this product?

#263535 - 09/16/13 05:11 PM Re: Water disinfection methods [Re: chaosmagnet]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

JPickett, based upon my own Internet research, I've chosen the Seychelles Advanced Water Purifer bottles and straws as my first line PSK and GHB water treatment. I did not find any negative comments on their efficacy. If you have a source or sources of negative commentary, please share. Usual disclaimer, I have no affiliation with Seychelles . I'm just a purchaser.

#263552 - 09/17/13 01:49 AM Re: Water disinfection methods [Re: chaosmagnet]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I think the Sawyers filters have revolutionized the purification process. After a lot of research, my daughter in Brazil is using one as her primary water source. They make two versions. One that does not filter virus as that is not much of a problem in most countries, and one that does filter virus.

I don't have the information in front of me so for details check out

http://www.sawyer.com/tech-water.html

I have several of each and find them very easy to clean (backflush) and both have good flow rates considering what they are doing.

The original .1 squeeze filter, which uses a plastic bag which is squeezed to force water through the filter had a bad reputation for leaks. However in my opinion people were playing gorilla with it. At about 3 oz, it makes a very good survival item.

Two versions of .1 micron are for sale at Walmart for about $30. One is a bottle, the other the squeeze.

Nomad.

#263558 - 09/17/13 03:14 AM Re: Water disinfection methods [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
pic of a Sawyer .1micron kit for a 5gal bucket... a kit is even available with the spade bit to drill the hole in the bucket, and comes with a syringe to back flush...I stick some tape over the hole, and place the kit in the bucket with a lid... good peace of mind for the central Gulf coast....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.