The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262610 - 08/19/13 09:15 PM It's time to think hurricane
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Summer's ending, back to school sales are all around, my kids are moping about the required reading they didn't do...and it's time to triple-check the hurricane supplies and plans.

I had a fairly horrid time of things in Superstorm Sandy - but it would have been far more horrid had I not done the tedious prep work month after month after month before.

Take the time, look around, get stuff while you can.

#262625 - 08/20/13 03:56 AM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MartinFocazio]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
thought I'd repost a pic of a couple of ideas to solar heat water... in 2004 I was without power for about 6 1/2 days, and hot water heater cooled at about day 2...city water was not interrupted

simply run it through your garden hose but limit the flow rate with a nozzle...125' of 7/8" hose holds about 2 1/2 gal, and can get to 135F in about an hour in Florida summer...be careful

black painted garden sprayer for shower water pressure

3mil 33gal trash can liner, laid open end over a 2x4 will hold 5 gal of water and reach 125F+ in 1 hr... you must dip the hot water out of the bag as it has a serious scald potential

if you are new to hurricane land, have lots of tips

#262626 - 08/20/13 10:56 AM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MartinFocazio]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Regarding improvised solar heated showers, as noted above the water can easily become too hot.
Might it be worth the use of a thermostatic mixing valve ? These are widely available from plumbing supply houses.

They only work if you have a supply of hot and cold water, both under pressure.
But in the example given of a length of black hose in the sun, and fed from a pressurised supply, a second cold supply and a thermostatic valve should give good results.

Another option is a 12 volt submersible pump and a drum of warm water. This has the merit that the temperature of the water in the drum wont change significantly during the shower, and can of course be adjusted before hand.

#262641 - 08/20/13 07:50 PM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: adam2]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: adam2
Regarding improvised solar heated showers, as noted above the water can easily become too hot.
Might it be worth the use of a thermostatic mixing valve ? These are widely available from plumbing supply houses.

They only work if you have a supply of hot and cold water, both under pressure.
But in the example given of a length of black hose in the sun, and fed from a pressurised supply, a second cold supply and a thermostatic valve should give good results.

Another option is a 12 volt submersible pump and a drum of warm water. This has the merit that the temperature of the water in the drum wont change significantly during the shower, and can of course be adjusted before hand.

Or just empty the hose into a bucket and add cold water until you reach a nice temp.

#262642 - 08/20/13 08:09 PM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Why improvise a solar heated shower? Nice units are readily available. My experience is that they work very well. We did a field project in which we filled our showers as we left camp for work in the morning, returning to pleasantly warm bags in the late afternoon (summer and fall conditions). This procedure worked well for four of us, eight days consecutively for about three months. I got to the point where 2 1/2 gallons per shower was more than enough. I have also used the showers by heating water on a stove and mixing to the correct temperature. They are great items that are compact, workable, and fine morale boosters.

#262651 - 08/20/13 11:45 PM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MartinFocazio]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

MDinana...that's what I do with the garden sprayer...

hikermor... I don't have room to hang the gravity bags in my shower...actually I have room, but I place a 33gal plastic trash can in the shower to hold non potable water, and my room is limited... the sprayer is convenient to mix, transport, and provide water pressure

after the long power outage in 2004, I did an after action debrief with my kids.... the lack of hot shower and batteries for their entertainment gizmos was the most common complaints... the trash bag was investigated for use by those in condo/apartments without access to garden hose...

Edited by LesSnyder (08/21/13 03:15 PM)

#262697 - 08/22/13 03:12 AM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MartinFocazio]
Pete Offline
Veteran

i'm fascinated by this new shopping concept of "back to school and hurricane supplies". I'm shocked that Walmart doesn't offer a special like this :-)

Pete2

#262711 - 08/22/13 01:58 PM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MartinFocazio]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Pete2, you have to move to Florida to see the hurricane cum backtoschool specials.

#262718 - 08/22/13 04:12 PM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MartinFocazio]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

most years the state of Florida offers tax free days for both school and hurricane supplies...

#262752 - 08/23/13 06:56 PM Re: It's time to think hurricane [Re: MartinFocazio]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

a thread on another forum got me thinking about a 12v battery power station... I don't really need a 120V inverter, as I've pretty much converted to 12Vdc... so I just got home with a deep cycle trolling motor battery to work with my fans, mini TV, and Eneloop recharger....also picked up another 12Vdc power tap... last week ordered some of the AA to D adapters, ones that take 2 of the AAs... to see if I can get 6 hours on my ceiling fan running off AAs

under Electronics for DUMMIES... if you try to hook up your digital portable to your cable, make sure it attaches to the cable source and not out of the DVR box... dumb.. dumb...dumb....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.