Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#262468 - 08/12/13 03:15 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Bingley
It sounds like sometimes it might go overnight. Family is one thing, but how do rescue volunteers arrange for this with their paying jobs? What kind of demographics are these rescuers?
We were a fairly varied lot, ranging from teenagers to "mature." About 20-25% female. Obviously, it helps if your work situation can tolerate your absence. I found an obscure clause in our personnel manual that allowed up to forty hours administrative leave for public service of this type; sometimes I took vacation time. Eventually I finagled a schedule where I worked four ten hour days, taking the weekends and Mondays off. Some of our personnel had positions at the University of Arizona; quite a few worked for a local engineering firm that accommodated their interest. We had both MD's and RN's in our group. Obviously there are job situations that can't or won't compromise on the flexibility that is so useful in SAR.

While a fair number of use were competent in technical rescue, rock climbing, and all that, not all of us were, or needed to be. One thing I learned is that many people lacking superior outdoor ability could contribute, before, during, and after operations in all kinds of ways. I don't believe that any of us were available 100%of the time - I had a project that took me out of town during the summer most years I was active Our rescue group did not require mandatory attendance - you did what you could and participated when possible. You were a member as long as you paid your annual dues.
Bingley, your employer just might surprise you. Don't be discouraged by initial skepticism, but when you show continued activity, and, especially,leaving a comfortable workplace to do battle with the elements, you are likely to garner support and assistance. You are making a valid contribution to a better community and that is a win-win all around.

I would echo everything that hikermor said. I would also add that most volunteer groups try to recruit enough people and reach a critical mass so that someone is always available to deploy. The other point I would add is that my experience has been that volunteer SAR folks as a group are some of nicest sort of people you will find. Part of the reason I stick with it is that I enjoy working with the kind of people who will volunteer to go out in the middle of the night to help a total stranger.

#262483 - 08/13/13 12:23 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Helping out total strangers is usually pretty straightforward. When you are involved in the rescue/recovery of a friend, the situation can become very emotional and involved.

#262487 - 08/13/13 12:55 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
Quietly_Learning Offline

I want to thank hikemor, aksar and everyone else on this forum who has or still does put their life at risk to make sure the rest of us make it home everytime we play in the outdoors.

#262489 - 08/13/13 03:01 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the info, Hikermor and AKSAR. I'll look into it -- I was thinking of taking some SAR courses that'd certify me for my state, actually. (Not that certification necessarily means much. I am guessing legal liability is one of the motivations behind the certification.)

The main problem is work -- in addition to the pressures of the job itself, I really have to be there for certain tasks. But if it's Sunday and Monday, I just might be able to make a schedule in such a way as to give myself the most flexibility on those two days.

Edited by Bingley (08/13/13 03:02 AM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.