Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#261018 - 05/29/13 08:23 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
I came up with three of your four items: (1) a satellite phone, (2) a desalination water purifier, and (3), a way to charge your electronics - either solar or dyno.

David Enoch

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Gadget heaven!

Quote:
I can also budget several thousand dollars if necessary for emergency gear.

Irridium Satellite Phone. (to call your Lawyer)

Scuba Pony Bottle. (for your own Poseidon adventure)

Desalination Reverse Osmosis Pump (for when you need to quench you thirst)

Flexible solar PV panel (keeps your electronic charged)

Other items include things such as a solar shower etc.

#261019 - 05/29/13 08:34 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
One more thing, a large bottle of Sun Screen to use on a life raft or on the deck if forced to stay on the deck for extended periods.

David Enoch

#261020 - 05/29/13 08:57 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Do you know what kind of retail shopping is available on board?

Think one of my first tasks upon boarding would be to hoard some bottled water and food items for a couple days and see what else is available for free and purchase. Since you're willing to burn through some money, buying overpriced (and heavy) batteries on board may make more sense than using your 50lb luggage allotment to carry a bunch.

I'd be more worried about some mechanical failure or virus that makes life on board unpleasant than I would be getting marooned on an island or the ship sinking.

But thanks to ETS I'll hardly walk around the block anymore without three means of making fire (Bic lighter, matches, firesteel), knife, whistle, button compass, flashlight/Petzl Zipka, cash.

Fortunately those items can fit in a single jacket pocket.

I think the notion of a manbag/duffel is wise since something could happen when you're away from your room. Being female I'm accustomed to lugging a purse or other shoulder bag everywhere and I surely would on a ship even if I were not crisis survival-minded.

This link below is to REI's lightweight (134 cu in.) "Flash 22" backpack. I have several of the smaller/lighter Flash 18s but for the ship would want the 22 for the water bottle holders. Think I'd keep something like this in my room for the Gilligan's Island gear (minus the fire/knife/button compass which will be in my shoulder bag).

http://www.rei.com/product/844631/rei-flash-22-pack

I'd also be looking at clothing options for pockets. I have some tropical-weight button-shirts (with SPF protection) that have great pockets.

You might also look at Tilley hats because they are great and all I have include a pocket at the top where I stash cash:

http://www.tilley.com/Hats-Men.aspx

Good luck. Be sure to also plan for the 98% likelihood that the ship will sail smoothly, the toilets will flush and the a/c will hum throughout.

Meanwhile, I do enjoy these logistical planning exercises.

#261021 - 05/29/13 09:01 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Anyone know if they limit what you can bring onto a lifeboat?

I'd expect they would allow purses and a modest man bag but wouldn't want people crowding a boat with luggage - survival gear or not.

Argues for a jacket with zip pockets.

#261022 - 05/29/13 10:13 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: Dagny]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Anyone know if they limit what you can bring onto a lifeboat?
I'd expect they would allow purses and a modest man bag but wouldn't want people crowding a boat with luggage - survival gear or not.
Argues for a jacket with zip pockets.

Great point. I went back today and looked through several videos of the Costa Concordia evacuation and there are no backpacks, purses, or any other bags being carried by any of the passengers as they cue up to the lifeboats with their life preservers on. Just about everyone is wearing a coat though.

#261023 - 05/29/13 10:50 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So if you go with the "1st/2nd/3rd line of gear" concept, would a utility vest worn under your flotation vest be considered 1st or 2nd line? I'm a firm believer in pocket carry for critical items.

On another related topic, I really like RailRiders VersaTac Ultra-Light Pants. The thigh pocket has inner organizers and closes with both velcro and buttons on top as well as having a zipper on the front so you can access while sitting. These pants can carry a lot of gear if necessary. The ultra light version is ripstop nylon that breathes well and I have no doubt I could swim in them if necessary. Belt loops are well built and easily take a 1.5" nylon belt.

For survival pants, I want full length legs rather than shorts even in a tropical cruise ship environment.

#261024 - 05/30/13 12:56 AM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
two GMRS radios for talking around the ship

GMRS is a licensed radio service in the United States, so make sure you have a GMRS license and follow the rules. As far as I can tell only the US and Canada allow GMRS at all, so unless I'm missing something anywhere else you go their use would be illegal.

Amateur radio can sometimes be used abroad depending on where you are going and what the law is there; some countries have reciprocity and some do not.

#261025 - 05/30/13 01:00 AM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I'm thinking the backpack concept is good for keeping items organized while not in code red, but once the ship starts to sink, the mindset has got to be ultralight and concealed. I would expect any obvious extra bag would meet strong vocal opposition from not only the life boat captain but also everybody else on the life boat. We're talking about a ship sinking to cause certain death, not an optional small boat ride off the side of the ship.

#261030 - 05/30/13 03:32 AM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Provided there is room, why would anyone object to additional resources being brought aboard? Bear in mind that lifeboats are required to stock food, water, solar stills, etc. for their anticipated capacity.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to inquire of the cruise company as to the equipment that is carried aboard their lifeboats. This would be of great help in deciding what you might bring aboard. A fine Merlot or Chablis would be wonderful after a few days of nothing but bread and water.

#261034 - 05/30/13 09:28 AM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: chaosmagnet]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
two GMRS radios for talking around the ship

GMRS is a licensed radio service in the United States, so make sure you have a GMRS license and follow the rules. As far as I can tell only the US and Canada allow GMRS at all, so unless I'm missing something anywhere else you go their use would be illegal.

Amateur radio can sometimes be used abroad depending on where you are going and what the law is there; some countries have reciprocity and some do not.

They sell GMRS radios in the gift shops on Royal Caribbean ships so they are definitely not banned on the ship. I intend to leave them onboard when we go ashore.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.