The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#262440 - 08/11/13 01:27 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Izzy, I used to check your blog when there was a link here to it.
When the link disappeared I thought you had given up the blog.

#262441 - 08/11/13 03:01 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
You pack that bag once. You never use it. You never train with that weight. Then one day out of the blue you'll need to carry all that weight on your back and in a hurry? Possibly at least maybe 5 miles? If not more?

I agree. That's why we've spent the last couple of years actively practicing just that. Taking our BOBs out for trial runs, both in terms of the contents and also the weight. Basically hiking and camping with those specific kits. Camping/hiking/backpacking have always been a part of our lives, but thinking of those activities in terms of the kids and in and under the added stress of some sort of a disaster, adds two elements that can only be conquered, IMO, by actually practicing. Kind of like CPR. You hope you never have to use it but you take the refresher course every year so you're ready if you do anyway.

I'm confident that I can hike comfortably with my BOB, that the contents are sound (much trial and error, and a little downsizing/adjusting every time,) and that our skill levels (as individuals) are in a state of constant improvement, to the point where we could get by with much less than is in our kits. We've been working this Spring and Summer at integrating the baby into those plans, which quite frankly, have changed drastically since she was born. Believe me, I am in no rush to have to take her anywhere on foot for any length of time. Bugging in is still option #1, but thinking about and preparing what we'd need for her is a big priority.

Going to a hotel or relatives house by Jeep is our most likely scenario, but I do foresee the potential for us (in our AO at least) to be on foot, or at least ending up on our undeveloped five acres for a while. I'm not a Doomsdayer, I don't have an INCH kit, and I don't expect to be living the book "The Road" ever, but I have bugged out for a manmade disaster and bugged in during some of Mother Nature's specials. Our AO has a high potential for both, and I just think that the more mobile our family is, and the more comfortable we are living out of our packs, the more adaptable we'll be in general, but especially if a bug-out situation does arise.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#262443 - 08/11/13 03:40 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It occurs that if one wishes to be really ready to bug out, then one should consider volunteering for the local SAR outfit, especially if you will likely operate in wild terrain.

It has been a while since I was an active participant, but the basic contract seems the same; you are ready to go at any time, regardless of weather or other circumstances. You will soon find that the best way to meet this challenge is to have a bag ready to go, usually seasonally adjusted for prevailing conditions. Obviously, you don't want the weight of this bag to be excessive, but you also want all the fundamentals. You will need them if you participate long enough. You will be carrying some excess (mostly medical gear) since it is a given that you will be responding to situations involving injury and trauma.

You will become accustomed to rapid changes in your daily activities, which can become somewhat disconcerting to family and friends. They are likely to understand with time. If a bug out situations occurs, it will be just another day in the woods for you.

I make this post because, looking back, the time I devoted to mountain SAR (in Tucson with the Southern Arizona Rescue Association) is some of the most gratifying and worthwhile activities in which I have engaged. I received far more than I contributed - the rewards, in the final analysis, are immense.

#262444 - 08/11/13 04:10 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great suggestion hikermor!

I have looked into our local SAR group. They're called the Ontario Volunteer Emergency Response Team (OVERT) and they recruit about twice a year. I had it on my radar for this year or next, but then the baby arrived and set that plan on hold for a while. For now, I'll keep working on keeping the next generation found via Scouting.

Doing local SAR seems like an awesome way to not only increase your own personal skill level, but also your knowledge of your local AO.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#262446 - 08/11/13 05:16 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some scenarios where I'd use my Bug Out Bag;

1. Going to Aunt Nancy's while the kitchen gets remodeled.
2. Going to the Raddison while the power is out
3. Going one city over to avoid an approaching storm
4. For the gear to 'shelter in place.'
5. Hopping on the Red Cross Shuttle bus to get to the shelter
6. Driving to a new, more inhabitable area. (Getting out of Dodge city/ INCH scenario.)
7. Walking/biking a short distance to avoid a flood or small scale event.
8. Hiking to the woods to live.

Of these eight, #8 is the least likely for me, but seems like the one most people plan their gear for. Also, in most of the likely scenarios, I'll be driving, so capacity is huge. (Room for dog kennel, computer, water, fuel, air mattress, professional tools, framed art, etc.)

"Plan for the likely events; not the unlikely."

#262447 - 08/11/13 06:00 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
For now, I'll keep working on keeping the next generation found via Scouting.

That right there is a big contribution.

Jeanette Isabelle

#262452 - 08/11/13 11:04 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You will become accustomed to rapid changes in your daily activities, which can become somewhat disconcerting to family and friends. They are likely to understand with time. If a bug out situations occurs, it will be just another day in the woods for you.

I admire people who can do this. How do you just put down everything and go on the assignment? It sounds like sometimes it might go overnight. Family is one thing, but how do rescue volunteers arrange for this with their paying jobs? What kind of demographics are these rescuers?

My work is fairly flexible, but I can't imagine disappearing for two days straight at the drop of a hat. I don't think they'd be understanding about volunteerism. It does sound like one could learn an immense amount from SAR! Many of us are either armchair/backyard/camp trip preppers...

#262455 - 08/12/13 12:05 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
We all have slightly different perceptions of reality, that's why cognitive dissonance is such an important concept. Anyone/everyone with a survival mindset, or what they think is a survival mindset should analyze their situation based on reality and not on a possibly misguided perception of reality.

Perhaps everyone is over thinking the BOB with its philosophical and psychological aspects, it really is just a Portable Bag of Kit, which allows a person to remain unsupported for a period of time in what could be difficult environmental and security conditions. Just tune your kit/bag and train with it to meet the conditions you would expect to encounter when the accoutrements of the modern convenient lifestyle begin to break down.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/12/13 12:06 AM)

#262458 - 08/12/13 03:28 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Bingley
It sounds like sometimes it might go overnight. Family is one thing, but how do rescue volunteers arrange for this with their paying jobs? What kind of demographics are these rescuers?

It always seemed that late Sunday afternoon, the very time I am responding to you,is prime time for operations to begin - people aren't returning on time and calls are made. I routinely pulled out of the driveway, looking into a setting sun, as I proceeded to base camp. A lot of the operations were fairly brief, about two hours or so (typically conducting a rescue/recovery at a known location, as opposed to a wide ranging search),but the duration varied between less than five minutes to more than two weeks. There was a definite peak on the weekends and on holidays. Unexpected weather events and all hall broke loose.

We were a fairly varied lot, ranging from teenagers to "mature." About 20-25% female. Obviously, it helps if your work situation can tolerate your absence. I found an obscure clause in our personnel manual that allowed up to forty hours administrative leave for public service of this type; sometimes I took vacation time. Eventually I finagled a schedule where I worked four ten hour days, taking the weekends and Mondays off. Some of our personnel had positions at the University of Arizona; quite a few worked for a local engineering firm that accommodated their interest. We had both MD's and RN's in our group. Obviously there are job situations that can't or won't compromise on the flexibility that is so useful in SAR.

While a fair number of use were competent in technical rescue, rock climbing, and all that, not all of us were, or needed to be. One thing I learned is that many people lacking superior outdoor ability could contribute, before, during, and after operations in all kinds of ways. I don't believe that any of us were available 100%of the time - I had a project that took me out of town during the summer most years I was active Our rescue group did not require mandatory attendance - you did what you could and participated when possible. You were a member as long as you paid your annual dues.

Most of all,I suppose, you acquire a "SAR mindset," realizing that the bell can ring at any time, and you may need to do the Clark Kent thing. This can lead to assembling two packs - one for the office and one for home.

It would be naive to think that activities of this sort can't stress your family and personal relationships. My first marriage ended during the time when I was most active, and while SAR was a factor, the dysfunction went far beyond SAR and its demands. I also know that the bonds you build with fellow rescuers are solid, deep, and substantial.

Bingley, your employer just might surprise you. Don't be discouraged by initial skepticism, but when you show continued activity, and, especially,leaving a comfortable workplace to do battle with the elements, you are likely to garner support and assistance. You are making a valid contribution to a better community and that is a win-win all around.

You will eventually encounter some rescue situations that will make a lot of but out scenarios seem mighty tame.

#262464 - 08/12/13 02:59 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Federal SARs and DMATs (Disaster Medical Assistance Teams) get paid while deployed and employers are required (by law) to allow members to go (similar to the military reserves). Members are classed as "intermittent employees."

State SARs' rules will vary by state.

And, Izzy, DMAT's do have psychologists on the team.

Being on any of these teams would certainly be good experience.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.