Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#251301 - 10/01/12 12:43 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bug out bags for Hotels sounds good, the main problem though, how to bag a room and how to get there with the rest of city of London, LA or New York deciding that a Hotel would be the place to head off too as well.

How do you book your room, if communications/power are out, how do you pay when most Hotels require a Credit Card and won't accept cash.

Hoping to bag a room, when you eventually get to your hotel of choice could be quite a risky option if you don't have something to fall back on in the BOB.

#251302 - 10/01/12 03:13 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I agree with the OP but an "emergency" means that circumstances are fluid and anything can change to anything anytime.

A few decades ago, I travelled to the U.S. for business and decided to have my annual vacation after business was done. My wife and I toured part of the U.S. and when we reached Disney , my wife liked it and we decided to sleep in a hotel and come again next day to see more of Disney. However, we just couldn't find a hotel vacancy in the area. So, we HAD TO keep driving to the next town

So, while we all prefer to reach a nice comfortable hotel room with a hot shower, it my not be available.

Also, you may plan to reach a friend's house, but on the way, the weather becomes so bad (or there are car problems) that you have to stop. And even though you are only a few feet from the highway, being there in bad weather, oe when the area is under some crisis, you are practically camping in the wilderness. That is why when I drive to visit my parents, I try to spot possible points of "emergency camping" if need be.

For the above considerations, I highly recommend we make sure that "wilderness camping" is always be taken in consideration.

#251307 - 10/01/12 09:55 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

There was another time when I couldn't find a hotel and kept driving. Matybe it is useful to narrate this one too, although not related to the topic.

It was a 55 mph highway , and I was so exhausted, I was driving at 35 mph. Also, I was new to the U.S. knowing the language OK but not a whole lot about the rules and lifestyle. In my country, I have never heard of anyone stopped for driving "too slow". That was a new thing for me. LOL

Police stopped me, and asked me to walk in a straight line !! Now, for you guys , you know what uit means, but for me (please don't laugh) I thought : (%&^$%) .... This cop is "DRUNK", and he has a pistol !!! ... I am doomed.

Later on, he asked me if I was drinking something and I pointed at the orange juice bottle. When he opened and sniffed it, I began to understand what he was thinking and why he asked me to count and walk. LOL ... only then I felt some relief to explain to him that I found no vacant hotel room and was driving to find some motel somewhere.

While this is not within the scope of this thread, but understanding or misunderstanding others (especially in tense situations) can make a big difference. Make sure you put stuff in your bag that will help you better communicate with others. That includes small gifts , if need be.

#251308 - 10/01/12 01:00 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: Chisel]
Carpal Tunnel

I would also attempt to put together a database of potential bug out accommodation (including contact names and telephone numbers), which would not only include Hotel accommodation. In my area, holiday cottages are very popular and during the winter occupancy rates can be quite low and prices very reasonable compared to city hotel accommodation. Dealing with individuals may get you that bug out accommodation rather than dealing with a Corporate Hotel Chain call centre (assuming of course they have turned up for work during a SHTF event)

Here is a typical example of a cottage within a days bicycle ride of my location.

http://www.cottageguide.co.uk/glencroftcottage/

Located here

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/01/12 01:09 PM)

#251310 - 10/01/12 02:37 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Carpal Tunnel

There are also many many other alternatives for Bugging out rather than using tents, tarps etc out in the wilderness during a SHFT, although you may need to reassess whether any one else knows about your Bug out Location. laugh

I thought that this cave might have been a potential BOL out in the depths of the Sidlaw hills about 8 miles away. It had, nearby a handy 16th Century Castle, a handy water well called St Peters for medieval weary pilgrim travelers and even a handy public Telephone nearby.

Failing that there is always the off chance one the holiday cottages would be available.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/01/12 02:48 PM)

#251312 - 10/01/12 04:01 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The OP is well taken. However wilderness gear isn't only useful in the wilderness. When a hurricane slammed our state years ago some of the most popular items were backpacking stoves, since electricity was out and natural gas was shut off. A sleeping bag is a wonderful thing to have when you're in a hotel in Nebraska that doesn't have heat due to the situation. Being able to purify water is just as valid when the municpal supply has been contaminated with floodwater as when you're in the woods.

Myopia works both ways.

#251313 - 10/01/12 06:04 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I can't remember if I've posted this before or not, but essentially I totally agree and have done this in practice for two years. I travel at least one weekend a month and as a result I have a pretty good little kit put together. I virtually always bring rain wear, a wool sweater, and in the winter I add long underwear. Now I also keep a space blanket, knife, and fire making tools in the same bag, sometimes a gun. I look at my weekend bag as my bugout bag too. It wouldn't suit me very well if I end up in the deep wilderness, I admit, but I could rough a night out during 8 or so months of the year. In the winter I should try and keep a sleeping bag w/the go bag or bug out bag. I don't call it a bug out bag, I prefer go bag or ditch bag, as it isn't geared towards wilderness survival like it seems most BOBs are these days.

#251314 - 10/01/12 07:14 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
The OP is well taken. However wilderness gear isn't only useful in the wilderness. When a hurricane slammed our state years ago some of the most popular items were backpacking stoves, since electricity was out and natural gas was shut off. A sleeping bag is a wonderful thing to have when you're in a hotel in Nebraska that doesn't have heat due to the situation. Being able to purify water is just as valid when the municpal supply has been contaminated with floodwater as when you're in the woods.

Myopia works both ways.

You're so right, Glock. Losing power, heat or water at our bug-out locations is well with-in the realm of possibility, and another illustration of how my GHB and BOB keep growing. About once or twice a year I strip things down in terms of contents and weight, but it doesn't take long for it to creep back up again.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#251319 - 10/01/12 08:38 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I travel frequently and to a wide variety of environments. My BOB goes everywhere with me, it just may change its appearance (switch to an environment appropriate bag) and lose some things that can't go on an airplane (until I retrieve my checked baggage, then it returns to its normal composition). I carry it to work, to the beach, to meetings (although it may stay in the car) and to my friend's house. Each member of my family has one, and they carry it as well, within limits (kids can't carry a pocket knife into school, or lighter of matches); and I generally maintain their bags. Regardless of the emergency or environment, I have the essentials, just in case. I may add if I have time, or I may pack an appropriate suitcase or duffel bag if time permits. Time of year, weather, destination and time dictate what goes in them. But my BOB goes with me and it gets used, and repacked, resupplied and checked upon my return.

#251321 - 10/01/12 08:47 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: Dagny]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
+++ Earplugs. Man, they help in a noisy place.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.