The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#262308 - 08/04/13 09:00 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The AMK kits are well orgainized, but the X people over Y time rating system breaks down when it encounters that first major trauma. Hikermore has a valid point in that a serious incident can use up that entire 3x3 in a single use leaving nothing but the small bandaids.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
... I am always amused at descriptions like "suitable for four people for two to three days." You don't consume the contents of a FAK in the same predictable way you can meter out cooking fuel or water or oatmeal. You can go months with no appreciable use of a FAK and then rum into an incident which will exhaust all or nearly all of its contents. I think it would be more realistic to rate a FAK in terms of incidents ...

For that reason I have added additional 4x4's to the larger kits. There will always be a trade-off in size vs utility vs portability and you need to remember that these are First Aid kits, not trauma centers.

#262314 - 08/05/13 02:22 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
In light of the recent response, perhaps Jeanette should consider building a trauma kit (many 4x4's and so forth). Then she could possibly adjust the individual FAKs to suit "normal" booboos and minor accidents.

#262316 - 08/05/13 02:52 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: MoBOB]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I like it because it agrees with what I'm doing wink . Like I said earlier, my pocket boo boo kit gets the most use but all it will cover is cleaning and bandaging (bandaids) small cuts. Anything major and we go to one of the bigger kits. I can imagine that in some 3rd world locales preventing a small cut/abrasion from becoming infected could be a serious concern; hence small kits on person to clean and cover those small cuts. Meanwhile a larger kit focused on bigger issues (call it a trauma kit) would be available on the (hopefully rare) occasions it is needed.

#262322 - 08/05/13 03:43 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: MoBOB]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Chaos Magnet did recommend this trauma kit.

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/patrol-officers-pocket-trauma-kit/

Jeanette Isabelle

#262323 - 08/05/13 03:57 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Haven't seen or worked with that kit; but it looks from here to be directed to penetrating (ie gunshot) wounds of the thorax-abdomen and extremities. I went on a number of missions trips, primarily to Peru and Mexico. Never came across a gun-shot wound. Being the only trip member with any formal medical training I handled cuts, bruises, abrasions, colds, asthma, diarrhea and food-born diseases. Had anything more serious turned up, I would have asked the local missionaries for a referal to the local medical sources they relied on year round. YMMV

#262324 - 08/05/13 04:34 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

What are "EMS" community thoughts on Quikclot? I see that AMK has a 25g Quikclot application pad in their trauma kit. As I recall there were some negatives on the clotting powder (can't recall the name); does that apply to the Quikclot dressing or is the dressing the way to go?

#262325 - 08/05/13 04:35 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: JPickett]
Carpal Tunnel

I like the idea of a separate trauma kit so people will know what it is specifically for, use it only for that purpose and not try to use items from the general kit. If I build my own trauma kit, I would need a case and instructions for it. Are there recommendations as to what to include including case and instructions? I believe the right instructions is the most critical aspect of a trauma kit. Without it, the trauma kit would not be used or if used, more blood is lost as the provider figures what everything is and how to use it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#262326 - 08/05/13 05:10 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JI... I'm no means a medical professional, but carry two small trauma kits... one in my car, and one in the off body carry bag I carry a pistol in...the carry bag has a small outer pocket, and the following articles are included

1. couple of pairs of nitrile gloves, and clean up towelettes for first responder to help prevent transfer of blood borne pathogens

2. for severe extremity bleeding, a self application tourniquet

3. for bleeding a self application pressure dressing (Israeli bandage)

4. for bleeding a small pack of Quick Clot

5. for bleeding a Kerlix gauze to pack off the wound

6. for penetrating chest wound, petroleum gauze, and tape 3 sides to help prevent air to enter chest

7. irrigation syringe, electrician scissors, duct tape to go around a person's chest

not shown a Surefire 6P LED light

I was not able to include abdominal pads to this kit, but a couple are in the larger range trauma kit

Edited by LesSnyder (08/05/13 05:11 PM)

#262332 - 08/05/13 10:31 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I have a question on blisters as I have not dealt with them since I was little. Do I use mole skin or upgrade to Blist-O-Ban?

Jeanette Isabelle

#262334 - 08/05/13 11:11 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Health insurance? You mean a healthy dose of OCD when handling firearms to include a compulsive application of the 4 Rules? Yeah, I have that health insurance too...

While I was sitting in my dentists chair today we had a short discussion on trauma kits. He's a dentist not a trauma surgeon, but we decided the AMK Tactical Field/Trauma with QuikClot was a not bad deal at Amazon's $33.68 so I ordered a couple. I'll see how many add'l 4x4's I can get in the pouch. One will go in my truck kit and the second in my EDC backpack. If a need for one of these kits arises the cost will be like pocket change.

Unfortunately, for Jeanette's requirement to build many kits she'll need a source to make the QC affordable. It's one thing to buy these for personal use knowing that because we're bulletproof wink we'll never need them anyway -- something else to buy the contents of a large number to donate to folks going down-range.

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.