The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262054 - 07/24/13 07:21 PM 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I guess the good Lord figured now was as good a time as any to take these 2 dimwits... unfortunately one was pregnant so an innocent and their dog were also lost. eek

A couple of hikers who were found in a Maine park after becoming lost subsequently drove their car into the ocean and drowned.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/two-hikers-l...scued-1.1381169
http://www.firehouse.com/news/11057670/rescued-lost-hikers-drown-after-wrong-turn-in-maine
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...o=feeds-newsxml

ROQUE BLUFFS, Maine -- Authorities say two women who got lost while hiking in a Maine state park died in a car accident shortly after their rescue. Thirty-seven-year-old Amy Stiner, of Machias, and 38-year-old Melissa Moyer, of Sunbury, Pa., were killed Tuesday night when they drove their car into the ocean after driving the wrong way down a road. The county sheriff says Moyer was five months pregnant. Officials say the women became lost while hiking near Roque Bluffs State Park. A landowner found them and their dog and gave them a ride to a home. Authorities later took them back to their car. A short time later, the women called to say they had driven their vehicle into the water -- and then the phone went dead. The car was later found underwater.

#262060 - 07/25/13 12:32 AM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Some people are visited by bad fortune. Some, it might be argued, have a talent for visiting it upon themselves. The latter makes many of us frustrated, angry, contemptuous. In fairness, I think many of us can remember situations where fortune tipped in our favour through no merit of our own.

Regardless of the circumstances, lives were lost unnecessarily. That is always a tragedy; we are all works in progress, and we cannot see the good they may have done in the world, before or after. Name-calling ultimately diminishes the caller.

My 2c.

#262061 - 07/25/13 12:50 AM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I would guess there was something else going on. Shock likely from being lost, or hypothermia, drugs etc. Too bad there wasn't a real SAR debriefing with the two, might have prevented tragedy.

Edited by clearwater (07/25/13 12:52 AM)

#262062 - 07/25/13 12:56 AM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good observation. Surely there is more here than meets the eye.

#262067 - 07/25/13 12:26 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
One of the other news articles mentioned heavy fog at the time, which might have contributed. Still, I've never driven fast enough to plow myself into the ocean, fog or no.

Ironically, same day as this story came out, there was a story of a girl that had a near-drowning in Brasil. As lifeguards approached to rescue her, a bull shark got her. She later died in the hospital.

Sometimes it's just your time to go.

#262070 - 07/25/13 02:45 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I wonder if the dimwit part is driving in fog, getting lost, ending up in the ocean or not knowing how to get out of the vehicle? Since we don't really know the details of how the car got into the ocean, I assume it was thick fog, not that they thought they were on a NASCAR track. It can get pea soupy near the ocean and I don't think it would take much to get turned around or slip off the edge or a road. They wouldn't be the first to be unable to get out of a submerged vehicle. they may have been too terrified to know how to get out and unable to think or act rationally in a water-filled car.

I'm not going to start mud-slinging on their corpses.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#262071 - 07/25/13 02:47 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: clearwater]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: clearwater
I would guess there was something else going on. Shock likely from being lost, or hypothermia, drugs etc. Too bad there wasn't a real SAR debriefing with the two, might have prevented tragedy.

Agreed. Thanks for giving them the benefit of the doubt. We forget to do that around here sometimes.

#262072 - 07/25/13 02:48 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A different view from a different forum:

"According to the article the car sank quite far from the water's edge, out in deep water. An official suggested that they didn't even hit the brakes before they hit the water (presumably no skid marks on the ramp), which would imply the fog was so thick they had no idea they were heading off the ramp and so would have hit the water at speed and momentum would have carried them out far to deep water. If they didn't know how to swim, escaping the vehicle would have been suicide. My guess is they thought the car might remain afloat long enough for them to be rescued. Tragic."

#262074 - 07/25/13 03:02 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
There's no reason to call people names, especially after they have DIED. From the news reports, sounds like simply a tragic accident of making a wrong turn after a stressful ordeal combined with bad weather. And they weren't the first ones to drive off that boat launch either.

#262078 - 07/25/13 03:13 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
And sometimes it's your day to die.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.