Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#261953 - 07/19/13 10:20 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
QuikClot costs too much. Other than adding a second 5” x 9” trauma pad, is there a wound treatment item for non-professional caregivers?

Who has experiences with using a surgical scrub brush to clean wounds, more specifically abrasions? What is your opinion on using a scrub brush and recommendations on cleaning abrasions?

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, even for the ones I will not be using, and for your kind words.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261959 - 07/20/13 04:32 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A wonderful idea, it has inspired me to write about long term planning for a 3rd world community.

band aid solutions?

Respectfully,

teacher

#261969 - 07/20/13 07:19 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Teacher, your "Band Aid Solutions" thread is beyond to the scope of what JI is doing. In the comment above you say JI has a wonderful idea but in your thread you basically say that her efforts are pointless. It's belittling and insulting to do that and posting a link to it here isn't right or fair, and could derail what is a very interesting and informative thread.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#261971 - 07/20/13 08:05 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My point is - its a great idea, how can you better serve your goal?

help the missionaries while they are there - done and done

or is it to have a lasting affect on the communities?

I agree with both goals - just that the second is harder and longer lasting

#261979 - 07/21/13 12:39 AM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
On my phone, so will try to be quick. I'd skip quick clot similar. For bad bleeds, sterile bandage next to wound, rags/clothes/etc on top of them, and LOTS of pressure. If you can't afford a TQ, maybe a n additional triangle bandage and something sturdy to use as a windlass to make an expedient TQ.

How far are you from civilization? Benadryl is only a stop gap for anaphylaxis, so it's overall utility ai would put below bismuth. Folks are likely to get diarrhea, not likely to become anaphylactic (and if they do, oral benadryl is a poor choice for treatment). If it's just for regular allergies, so what if you have a runny nose? This goes back to people bringing their own prescriptions. I would say maybe 5- 10 packs of benadrly and the rest bismuth.

Skip the surgical scrub, it's redundant and rather bulky. How do you clean abrasions here in the US? I hope not with a surgical scrub! Soap/water or diluted peroxide works just fine

Edited by MDinana (07/21/13 12:41 AM)

#261981 - 07/21/13 02:18 AM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

Add a second trauma pad and add a second triangular bandage. Got it. Thank you.

Originally I was going to add one foil package of Povidone-Iodine 10% Solution. Nurse Mike said to increase the Povidone-Iodine. Yesterday I was thinking of putting in two foil packages of Povidone-Iodine instead of one.

I have no experience with specifically abrasions hence why I asked who has experience. Thanks again.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261982 - 07/21/13 02:31 AM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: ]
Carpal Tunnel

True. A triangular bandage can be easily improvised. When I put everything together and it looks like I am running low on space, I will stay with one.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261996 - 07/21/13 06:35 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I read the first fifty-nine pages of Where There is No Doctor because Teacher recommended this book. This book is about healthy lifestyle changes, which certainly has its place.

A guide in a first aid kit has to cover the situation and be organized so a layperson can quickly find what she needs.

Something Izzy said inspired an idea. For those who have copies of A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, M.D. you are not using, I can put them to use. Send them to this address:

Jeanette Isabelle
C/O Southwest Harvest Church
201 W. Center St.
Duncanville, TX 75116

#261997 - 07/21/13 06:49 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana
How far are you from civilization? Benadryl is only a stop gap for anaphylaxis, so it's overall utility ai would put below bismuth. Folks are likely to get diarrhea, not likely to become anaphylactic (and if they do, oral benadryl is a poor choice for treatment). If it's just for regular allergies, so what if you have a runny nose? This goes back to people bringing their own prescriptions. I would say maybe 5- 10 packs of benadrly and the rest bismuth.

Getting both presents a problem. Since Bismuth Subsalicytate is more important than Diphenhydramine, I will fill the kits with Bismuth Subsalicytate.

Edit: I won't attempt to explain why. The bottom back compartments can't be used to hold medication packets; it can hold alcohol pads. One compartment is for sting relief pads so that leaves eight compartments which hold five packets of medication each. The Bismuth Subsalicytate will replace the five packets of Calcium Carbonate. The kit comes with five packets of Aspirin and five packets of Acetaminophen. I can afford to buy two boxes of medication packets. If the second box I buy is Diphenhydramine, this is what I propose:

Twenty packets of Bismuth Subsalicytate, ten packets of Diphenhydramine, five packets of Aspirin and five packets of Acetaminophen.

An alternative is to skip the Diphenhydramine and buy a box of one of the following: Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen or Aspirin.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (07/22/13 02:58 AM)

#262020 - 07/22/13 11:48 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

I won't be able to use the CoFlex; I found Telfa Pads at good prices:

http://www.kvsupply.com/telfa-pads-2-x-3-strip-100-count
http://www.kvsupply.com/telfa-pads-3-x-4-100-count

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.