Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#261777 - 07/11/13 04:21 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Thank you. The kit comes with a reorder form and what they charge for each pair of gloves in a bag, plus shipping, is ridiculous. Do you know where I can buy a pair of gloves in a bag for less?

I wouldn't bother bagging them. Or I'd buy the gloves in bulk and then put them in cheap sandwich bags.

I'm a little OCD so if I add more gloves, they would be bagged in groups of two.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261778 - 07/11/13 04:28 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: JPickett]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JPickett
Jeanette_Isabelle, have you considered Pepto-Bismol (and generic) tablets as an alternate anti-diarrheal? My understanding is the bismuth salts have anti-microbial effects in the G.I. tract as well as mechanically slowing the movement of material in the tract. I made a half dozen missions trips to Peru amd Mexico 10+ years ago and had no G.I. problems while others in my group did. I made it a habit to take 2 tablets with each meal and 2 tablets upon retiring. I wouldn't call this proof, but if I ventured back to Peru I would certainly take my pepto with me.

What you are referring to is Bismuth Subsalicytate (Diotame). So I should use that instead of Loperamide Hydrochloride (Diomode)? How many packets should I include for a ten-person kit?

By the way, the kit includes five packets of Calcium Carbonate.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261779 - 07/11/13 04:33 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd add more information -- both in training the missionaries and adding a book in the appropriate languages. Basic first aid, hygiene and science info are lifesavers.

#261780 - 07/11/13 04:38 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
What you are referring to is Bismuth Subsalicytate (Diotame). So I should use that instead of Loperamide Hydrochloride (Diomode)?

I would definitely keep the anti-diarrheal over the Pepto-Bismol. Actually, I'd keep both. The Benadryl in the kit can also be used as an anti-nauseant. And as a sleep aid too.

#261781 - 07/11/13 04:39 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I'd add more information -- both in training the missionaries and adding a book in the appropriate languages. Basic first aid, hygiene and science info are lifesavers.

I have considered recycling the first aid “guide” and buying used copies of A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, M.D.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261782 - 07/11/13 04:46 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I buy nitrile gloves 50 to a box at Rite Aid. Take those and package them two each in small ziplock bags. The ziplock bags can be reused for other things in the field. This is how I package gloves for various kits.

#261783 - 07/11/13 04:54 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
What you are referring to is Bismuth Subsalicytate (Diotame). So I should use that instead of Loperamide Hydrochloride (Diomode)?

I would definitely keep the anti-diarrheal over the Pepto-Bismol. Actually, I'd keep both. The Benadryl in the kit can also be used as an anti-nauseant. And as a sleep aid too.

So add the following: Bismuth Subsalicytate (Diotame), Loperamide Hydrochloride (Diomode) and Diphenhydramine. If I do not remove the alcohol and sting relief pads, I would have space to add thirty packets of medication. When grouped in fives (the amount each compartment holds), how much of each goes into a ten-person kit?

I have been saying “a ten-person kit” because ten is the number I am shooting for.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261789 - 07/11/13 10:46 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: haertig

So add the following: Bismuth Subsalicytate (Diotame), Loperamide Hydrochloride (Diomode) and Diphenhydramine. If I do not remove the alcohol and sting relief pads, I would have space to add thirty packets of medication. When grouped in fives (the amount each compartment holds), how much of each goes into a ten-person kit?

I have been saying “a ten-person kit” because ten is the number I am shooting for.

Jeanette Isabelle

As many as will fit, equally divided: this is based on the notion of leaving the kit behind for use by the locals. Loperamide and diphenhydramine are very useful drugs. Bismuth subsalicylate is an older drug, and is less effective in some studies.

#261790 - 07/12/13 12:15 AM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: nursemike]
Carpal Tunnel

This is what I have so far.

Do NOT add the following:
Oral Rehydration Salts
Additional Sterile Gauze Pads

Add the following:
Digital thermometer
Duct tape
Elastic bandage
Additional pairs of gloves
Additional Antibiotic Ointment Packets [There have been no suggestions on how much to add.]
Splinter forceps to replace the plastic tweezers
A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, M.D. to replace the first aid guide
Equal amounts of Diomode, Diotame and Diphenhydramine Packets

I will consider adding more tape.

I have not received feedback regarding the following:
Non-Adherent Pads
Moleskin or other blister treatment
Patient assessment form
CPR shield
Additional Trauma Pad
Additional Triangular Bandage
SAM Splint, if space will allow it

I have considered putting in one Pocket Medic per kit. A Pocket Medic provides splinter forceps, moleskin, two safety pins and an extra Antibiotic Ointment Packet at a reasonable price.

Edit: If I don't need moleskin, it would be cheaper to only get the splinter forceps.

Thank you for your help.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (07/12/13 12:39 AM)

#261804 - 07/12/13 01:33 PM Re: Build a Wilderness First Aid Kit [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
For $20 you CAN buy Adventure Medical Kits "Pocket Trauma Pack." But as "blow out kits" go it's fairly lacking. I replaced mine months ago with one of ITS Tactical's custom made "EDC Trauma Kits."

For an inexpensive, lightweight and small trauma kit, I strongly recommend the "Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit" from Rescue Essentials (order either from http://www.rescue-essentials.com/ or from Amazon, especially if you're a Prime member). It's far from complete and it's not what I carry on the range, but for the price point it can't be beat.

It contains a SWAT-T tourniquet, Z-Pack Dressing, a pair of gloves, and three feet of duct tape. If you have a sharp with you, the plastic bag containing it can be used with the duct tape to create a field-expedient chest seal.

The SWAT-T isn't the best tourniquet out there -- I'd hate to be applying it to my own arm -- but it's inexpensive, easy to use, and can double as a pressure dressing with the Z-Pack. The preferred tourniquets (CAT-T, SOFTT-W) are far more expensive.

I have no connection to Rescue Essentials or Amazon other than as a customer.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.