Topic Options
#261911 - 07/17/13 07:11 PM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Ho Li Kao! Tu Dam Funi!

They forgot to name the flight safety officer: Ka Plu Yi smile

This is in truly poor taste. People died. Some got run over by rescue trucks. Some of the crew were ejected from the plane when the tail broke off. Now you make fun of their national origin? This sort of joke is not just juvenile. It is effectively racist.

I call on the moderators to erase these posts.

Edited by Bingley (07/18/13 03:21 AM)
Edit Reason: I think GLcok and Liath just didn't think it through. I don't think they're ill-intentioned.

#261915 - 07/18/13 02:16 AM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: Bingley]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Bingley
This is in truly poor taste.

I agree Bingley.

#261922 - 07/18/13 04:36 PM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: AKSAR]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

The joke is on the idiot media people who dutifully read the obviously wrong names on air. I'm laughing at the TV station talking heads, not any people on the airplane. Thought that would be plain, but apparently No Dam Wei.

Relax, quit being so PC, and build some thicker skin.

#261925 - 07/18/13 09:38 PM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas

I was of the impression that this is a safe forum.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261931 - 07/19/13 02:06 AM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Sorry, I would have to agree with Bingley and AKSAR on this. It's just poor taste, and well below the usual level of discussion on ETS.

#261935 - 07/19/13 06:28 AM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

The safest means of transportation is a submarine.

I think this is a serious abuse of statistics. There are too few accidents to make meaningful analysis. I also wonder if that claim takes into account the Russian Navy experience.

Large commercial jets are still safest. Getting to and from the airport is the riskiest part of a trip.

Quote:

It does not matter if the plane is flown my a Macintosh. Electronic devices fail. There needs to be an experienced pilot who can turn the computer off and fly the plane.

Electronic devices can be made reliable the same way as flight crews: redundancy.

The Space Shuttle was at best 1970s era technology, yet came close to fully electronic flight control. No part of ascent was under human control, and the only critical/challenging part of descent done by humans was rotating the nose gear onto the runway.

The switch to drones in military aviation will force the issue by drying up the supply of qualified pilots to civilian airlines. Once routine military cargo flights begin using drones there simply won't be enough human pilots any more.

Edited by James_Van_Artsdalen (07/19/13 10:47 AM)

#261940 - 07/19/13 01:40 PM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: Bingley]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I read the linked article the first time it was posted. My question was probably unclear, so let me try again: what happens in a crash that would prevent the belt release mechanism from working? It seems that unless the lock was damaged, it should still work.

Bigley:

My thought on this is that after a plane crash most people are disoriented, panicked. this level of chaos and stress can make a person try a seat belt (remember it isn't like a car seat belt) and when it doesn't instantly release or has some resistance they panic and think that it won't open.

Secondly keep in mind that "Seat belt maintenance" isn't normally a high priority, I mean when was the last time you brought your car in and told them to service the seat belts? It is possible that the force of the impact can notch the retaining metal and thus make it, "locked up."

Weather by rescue hook, box cutter, or opening the seat belt, I don't thing that the method matters, just that the people are OUT of there seats and are in a safe location. It would be my hope that no-one would try to salvage the seat belts from an accident like that.

Just my thoughts.

#261944 - 07/19/13 06:01 PM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: AKSAR]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

It has been confirmed that one of the fatalities was due to a rescue vehicle:

http://www.kcra.com/news/money/travel/asiana-victim/-/11797110/21062156/-/9g181o/-/index.html

#265453 - 12/02/13 02:42 PM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: AKSAR]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

This morning I was reading a link about powerful photographs of 2013. It has a bird's eye view of the Asiana crash site and I was struck at how massively burned-out the passenger cabin was:

I recall reading that fire & smoke in a crashed plane spreads very fast. Plan accordingly.

Prayers out for the people on that plane, and their families.

#265857 - 12/17/13 03:06 PM Re: Air Crash Survival [Re: AKSAR]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Here's an update from Popular Mechanics on the crash. The photo of the cabin interior is instructive.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.