Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#26126 - 03/22/04 02:06 PM beef in a can anyone?
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/03/22/canned.beef.ap/index.html

Very interesting. I guess this adds variety to your camping/survival diet.

Farmers offering up beef in a can
Monday, March 22, 2004 Posted: 7:40 AM EST (1240 GMT)

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- As a five-decade livestock producer, Jim Farmer wants his son and two daughters to follow in his footsteps.

He hopes ready-to-eat beef -- in a can -- is the ticket.

Farmer has joined resources with about three dozen other beef producers, including his son and son-in-law, in creating a co-op that aims to turn 1,000 cattle a year into canned beef. Eventually, the co-op hopes to handle as much as 10 times that.

The specially built plant in Montgomery City, about 70 miles west of St. Louis, has begun production. Canned beef has hit the shelves in some Missouri stores, mostly in tiny towns. While it's too early to say what the demand is, farmers like Farmer are thinking big.

"Our goal is to make an opportunity in agriculture for all of my descendants, if they choose," said Farmer, 64. "Something like this could help make that happen."

To the investors from five Missouri counties, consumers get precooked beef on the go, perfect for outdoor enthusiasts from hikers to hunters and anglers to campers. Given its shelf life of two to five years, the farmers say, the canned beef can be left in tackle boxes or storm shelters.

In return, folks behind the Heartland Farm Foods Co-op Inc. say, participating farmers get a consistent market for their beef while satisfying pent-up demand for the kind of commodity that was commonplace decades ago, before refrigeration.

"It's just another opportunity," Farmer said of the co-op that began processing in mid-December, a couple months after finishing construction of a 4,480-square-foot plant on 10 acres. "If there's no risk, there'll be no gain."

The co-op and its cannery are starting slowly, processing just five cows a week right now.

'Only one ingredient'
Each animal produces about 400 to 500 cans of federally inspected beef from cattle raised without steroid and hormone additives or routine antibiotics, the co-op's general manager said.

"The unique thing about this product is there's only one ingredient -- beef. There isn't even salt," Mark Uthlaut said.

No water. No preservatives. And to Uthlaut, no worries about safety, given that the pressure-cooking, sterilizing canning process rids each can and its contents of harmful bacteria.

"It's completely safe," he said.

The offerings are limited to ground beef and leaner chunk beef, each in 14-ounce cans. Eight- or 9-ounce cans might be coming.

For the time being, the co-op's canned beef can only be found in a few north-central Missouri grocery stores, as well as a handful of convenience stores.

Some retailers are asking $4.99 a can, a cost that Uthlaut knows could discourage some people. "That's why it's so important to do the sampling and show the quality," he said.

#26127 - 03/22/04 06:42 PM Re: beef in a can anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will give up my Spam when they pry it from my cold, dead hand ... no, wait a minute, that's a different bumper sticker.

#26128 - 03/23/04 05:21 AM Re: beef in a can anyone?
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
I like spam.

Bountyhunter

#26129 - 03/24/04 12:55 AM Re: beef in a can anyone?
DBAGuy Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
A can of 'Dinty Moore' costs less and has vegetables in addition - giving it more taste and nutrients.

What would the advantage of just meat be?

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

#26130 - 03/24/04 03:12 AM Re: beef in a can anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I have heard, Dinty loses it flavor and texture pretty quickly and might not be a good long-term storage item.

And I believe part of the appeal here is the "no additives". Flavor it any way you want.

#26131 - 03/24/04 09:26 AM Re: beef in a can anyone?
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
regarding the dinty moore how does it loose its taste and what does it taste like then?

and the canned beef sounds interesting but id stick with my spam and other canned meats so far for the price.

buying 2 (or more depending on sales) cans of spam or dinty moore, or even the corned beef and similar foods is more logical to me then just a single can of beef.

and it appeals to my pack-rat tendencies.

#26132 - 03/24/04 06:35 PM Re: beef in a can anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't want to count this item out without trying it. I have a large store of Dinty-Moore and Beef-a-roni and such. I also have a large store of dried rice and dried beans. Having some meat to add to the rice & beans would be welcome. Spam is an option as is tunafish but it is nice that someone has thought to offer beef as well.

I would hope that scaling up production would result in economies of cost affecting pricing pleasantly. But if there isn't enough demand to drive this then I don't find this item to be attractive as currently priced. I can get fresh beef for $4 / pound so why would I pay that for canned beef which would be expected to be less appetizing.

#26133 - 03/24/04 07:14 PM Re: beef in a can anyone?
WOFT Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
what is spam? I seem to always hear it crop up in the monty python films as well as ETS!

#26134 - 03/24/04 08:48 PM Re: beef in a can anyone?
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Woft--

Spam is a pork "luncheon meat" in a can. It's pink, slimy, greasy, well, you get the picture...:p It's a product of the Hormel Corporation, a canned meat supplier. I haven't eaten any in years.

Here's a link to an unofficial web site outlining a history of the product & name. I make no claims for authenticity of the info therein.

You can check for Hormel's web site, too, of course.

Gotta run now.

David

#26135 - 03/24/04 09:04 PM Re: beef in a can anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.