Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#261458 - 06/24/13 07:26 AM Naked and Afraid
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I just had to watch this to see how ridiculous things on the boob tube are getting. I wasn't disappointed.

Two strangers, a man and a woman, dropped off in some godforsaken location butt naked for 21 days to fend for themselves. That's the premise. Now what would you expect to happen from that?

First episode has a pair dumped off in Costa Rica. The dude was a 40 year old who acted like a 12 year old. The gal was borderline anorexic before they started the event. They enter the woods separately after disrobing, and can take one personal item each (a machete and a ferrocerium firestarter).

As things progressed, the 25 year old woman took the mature, level headed role. The 40 year old boy whined more and more, although he did do the bulk of the physical work.

Three hazards to keep in mind if you find yourself naked in a Costa Rican jungle:

1. avoid the Fer De Lance unless you have a big stick. Pictures of the producer's foot after he got bit were sobering.

2. do not eat your turtle rare.

3. if you make a fire under your shelter roof, make sure the roof doesn't fall into the fire in the middle of the night while you are sleeping under it.

Other items of interest:

a. Do not pi$$ off the howler monkeys

b. It can rain a lot in a rain forest

c. Having a little pudge when you start such an event is a good thing (he lost 45 lbs, she lost 25).

The woman on the show next week is from Juneau. She has an interesting way to catch fish.

This couple was far too pre-occupied with making fire. They should've focused more on making a suitable shelter and getting food. The fire wasted a lot of time, energy and fuel. Their attempts at hunting were futile. They could've made some snares and deadfalls and probably come up with something.

But the biggest issue remains: why on earth would you go into the jungle naked?

Edited by benjammin (06/24/13 07:27 AM)

#261462 - 06/24/13 01:48 PM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
thank you for the review. you just saved me an hour of my life i might have wasted watching this piece of .

Edited by Tyber (06/24/13 07:05 PM)

#261463 - 06/24/13 02:26 PM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Apparently this is not a new idea. This guy did it in 1913!

http://archive.org/stream/aloneinwilderne00knowgoog

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#261467 - 06/24/13 10:10 PM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
LOL Wiley. Thanks Benjammin for taking one for the team!

#261468 - 06/25/13 12:12 AM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: benjammin
The dude was a 40 year old who acted like a 12 year old. The gal was borderline anorexic before they started the event. They enter the woods separately after disrobing, and can take one personal item each (a machete and a ferrocerium firestarter).

As things progressed, the 25 year old woman took the mature, level headed role. The 40 year old boy whined more and more, although he did do the bulk of the physical work.

Makes you wonder if this is totally scripted, since it fits perfectly with the incompetent male cool head female you see in today's TV.

#261472 - 06/25/13 02:21 AM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Naked in the jungle for twenty-one days? Not even for $1,000,000.

Jeanette Isabelle

#261473 - 06/25/13 02:21 AM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
But the biggest issue remains: why on earth would you go into the jungle naked?

Because some Hollywood agent offered you money...though in my case it wasn't enough. shocked
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#261475 - 06/25/13 05:13 AM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Ok, yeah, I understand their motivation. But if they are attempting to demonstrate extreme reality, that seems like an irrelevant premise. If you can't make it with clothing on, you can't make it naked either.

Could be scripted. But I know enough idgets like him that the role in that situation was just as plausible, whether real or contrived.

The choices for take along were okay. The machete was quite appropriate. Not sure the sparker was that important. I might've gone with a spool of drawn steel wire instead. The place was perfect for snares. You could've done something with all the vines, but some hard steel wire would make it a whole lot easier. Fire without the sparker would be harder in that environment, but you only had to get it going once.

Like I say, I had to watch it once. You make of it what you want. There's always the opportunity to learn, or teach.

#261476 - 06/25/13 05:19 AM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
They could'nt pay me enough..
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#261485 - 06/25/13 05:48 PM Re: Naked and Afraid [Re: benjammin]
Lilly
Unregistered

From the first post, it looks a drama playing there. But after it, it seems a reality one. I'm still confused what I thought about it. As I was reading, it come's in my mind that there is discussion of tent where they stay. But till end there's nothing found what I thought.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.