Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#261149 - 06/06/13 04:10 AM back to the basics TP
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#261153 - 06/06/13 06:24 AM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would take out the inner cardboard tube and use the TP roll inside out, when put in such containers. Much more practical then having to pull the entire roll out of the can.

#261157 - 06/06/13 12:00 PM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I prefer a ziplock bag of the appropriate size - a much more secure seal. Of course, there are various adequate substitutes, of which snowballs are the best.

#261159 - 06/06/13 02:17 PM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: TeacherRO]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I like the fact that it is back to the basics,,

Though I would suggest covering the labels. Nothing worse than being half awake going to make coffee and finding TP. If your like me that would be cause for an emotional breakdown.

#261160 - 06/06/13 03:46 PM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOL@Tyber! I never thought of that.

We use the coffee can approach when we car camp. If you take the cardboard tube out, and pull up the end from the middle, I found it works easier for the younger kids. You can also pop a hole n the bottom and lid, and run a wire or piece of paracord through it so you can hang it from a tree, clothes line or outhouse. Just beware of rain and drips from trees. It'll run down the wire and wet the roll inside unless it's a tight fit.

For backpacking, it's ziplock all the way for me. Lighter and less bulky. Just make sure you get a good seal. Soggy TP sucks.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#261166 - 06/06/13 07:32 PM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

A whole roll??? eek
I suppose -- if -- you are car camping with family or larger group...

I have a single use of tp stored in the handle of my plastic gardening shovel (for cat holes). I also have numerous packets of MRE tp that I can bring along and store in zip loc baggies. Store in multiple convenient locations. But then again I have also aclimatized myself to using natural materials for cleaning up.

#261168 - 06/06/13 08:50 PM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
"MRE TP is the devil Bobby."

I carried a half roll in a plastic bag for all my field trips. Still do. My toothpaste is stored in the middle, to avoid nasty explosions.

#261187 - 06/07/13 03:49 PM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: Roarmeister]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I have a single use of tp stored in the handle of my plastic gardening shovel (for cat holes). I also have numerous packets of MRE tp that I can bring along and store in zip loc baggies. ..

I use Coghlan's Tissue On The Go rolls for backpacking and daypacks. Its a very handy size and the plastic dispenser makes using it easy.

#261193 - 06/07/13 08:48 PM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: Roarmeister]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

A whole roll??? eek
I suppose -- if -- you are car camping with family or larger group...

I have a single use of tp stored in the handle of my plastic gardening shovel (for cat holes). I also have numerous packets of MRE tp that I can bring along and store in zip loc baggies. Store in multiple convenient locations. But then again I have also aclimatized myself to using natural materials for cleaning up.

Oh, I dunno. Sometimes it comes in handy. My brother did a camping trip with Boy Scouts about 15 years ago; at the time I was an assistant adult leader. We were going to split an entire roll for the 7-day trip (makes sense, right?). On night one of the trip, his tent buddy downs a whole can of diced pineapples. He also happens to have bad citrus allergies. After having explosive ... issues ... he runs out of his TP, and uses ALL of ours.

Fortunately, one of the other adults ran to a 99-cent store and bought us a replacement roll for the remainder of the trip, after first dropping the Scout off with his dad in the parking lot.

Point is, sometimes you can't have enough.

#261199 - 06/08/13 02:51 AM Re: back to the basics TP [Re: TeacherRO]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
For multipurpose and waterproof TP, I use shop towels (blue or white). They can get wet and still be used for TP. I always pack them out of the backcountry for throwing away in the trash. Fold each sheet to make 9 squares.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.