Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#262474 - 08/12/13 08:35 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Thanks for the feedback, NuggetHoarder. Some interesting observations.

#262475 - 08/12/13 08:38 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Also, you can put a smartphone into airplane mode to avoid this issue.

The revelation the other day that the new Android 4.3 will continue scanning for Wifi nodes by default even when Wifi is turned off reminds me that "features" are not always what they seem to be. Google seems like it is sacrificing battery life (your battery life) with this default setting but I guess they feel like they are gaining something in return by gathering location and metadata about Wifi hotspots from "everyone"

#262476 - 08/12/13 10:01 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
At over $4 a minute, I wasn't willing to risk it. The battery came out and stayed out.

#262478 - 08/12/13 10:26 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: Arney]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Arney
Also, you can put a smartphone into airplane mode to avoid this issue.

The revelation the other day that the new Android 4.3 will continue scanning for Wifi nodes by default even when Wifi is turned off reminds me that "features" are not always what they seem to be. Google seems like it is sacrificing battery life (your battery life) with this default setting but I guess they feel like they are gaining something in return by gathering location and metadata about Wifi hotspots from "everyone"

I'm no expert on Android but in Airplane Mode the radios are supposed to be turned completely off for FAA regulatory compliance.

I'd be pretty steamed, though, if I turned WiFi off and it didn't turn off.

#262479 - 08/12/13 11:28 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm no expert on Android but in Airplane Mode the radios are supposed to be turned completely off for FAA regulatory compliance.

That's a good point about airplane mode and I don't know if this "feature" applies when airplane mode is turned on, but if wifi is turned off, it's actually still secretly on by default unless you go in and change a sub-setting. I believe these guys were the first to report on this behavior of version 4.3 here.

#262481 - 08/12/13 11:56 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
From Arney's link:
Quote:
...Google wants you to leave your Wi-Fi on, or at least partially on, all the time. Now I know you might immediately scream "MY BATTERY LIFES!!11" but this will probably save battery. Google wants you to leave Wi-Fi on so that apps can get your location, but consider that the other option for location is firing up the GPS chip, which is a battery's worst enemy. ...

Hmmm, WiFi transceiver uses less battery power than a GPS receiver? I'm thinking that transmitting and receiving is a bigger battery drain than just receiving, but maybe the GPS chip is a power hog relative to a low powered WiFi -- dunno. Anybody know the answer?

BTW, another option is to turn location services OFF.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.