Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#260986 - 05/28/13 06:32 PM Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
I'll be going a cruise in a couple months and with the news lately, I'm thinking that it might be smart to bring along a few items to deal with emergencies like fire or getting stranded on a foreign island waiting on a plane to go home. The cruise line bans weapons, candles, and alcohol and other "dangerous goods" whatever that means. They also limit passengers to two suitcases 16"Hx24"W (no length restriction) and 50 pounds per bag. I plan to have a backpack tucked inside one of my duffel bags and have allotted 25 pounds towards emergency gear for that pack. I can also budget several thousand dollars if necessary for emergency gear.

Is a backpack the right container? Will a backpack work with a life preserver? What would you put in the backpack? Where would you store the backpack during the cruise? Any other suggestions?

#260990 - 05/28/13 07:27 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in addition to an EDC whistle, key chain LED light, pill fob with aspirin... possibly a couple of 1/10oz gold coins in the bottom

LED headlamp plus LED task light
Cyalume light sticks
Nomex gloves and balaclava,jacket
smoke, dangerous gases escape hood
wonder bar pry tool
FAK with burn gel

copy of up to date shot records
proof of American citizenship
hardcopy of important phone numbers

I don't know about lines(ropes) on a cruise ship... possibly a Wilderness Instructor belt and locking carabiner

#260991 - 05/28/13 07:28 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The recent incidents of disabled cruise ships make me think that you'd need to be to pay particular attention to hygiene and infectious diseases: sanitizer, latex gloves, face mask, and antibiotics. (Of course, if you get a norovirus infection, there is no treatment for it.) A supply of plastic bags might be a good idea.

You might also want to bring some survival ration like Datrex. I don't think people starved in the recent incidents, but maybe the next one will be worse.

Some light source with a long battery life, and some spare batteries, would be necessary if there is a blackout. Carry it in a small bag, along with a map of the ship.

I think there are some threads discussing this issue, so you might want to look them up.

Caveat: I've never been on a cruise, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. But I do think I'm right in offering the following advice: be alert, but enjoy your trip! Take some pictures for us!

#260992 - 05/28/13 07:57 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I don't know about lines(ropes) on a cruise ship... possibly a Wilderness Instructor belt and locking carabiner
I would recommend not bothering with the Wilderness belt or biner. This is a perfect situation for a Dulfersitz (body)rappel. You can be finished with your body rappel before the person next to you has rigged up in a belt. Neither one is a particularly pleasant experience, but we are talking life threatening emergency, right?

There are lots of small,light backpacks (REI Flash 18, for one) that will be good containers for your stuff. You could carry it routinely as a small bag - my equivalent backpack has served for years as my carry on piece. A many-pocketed vest either fisherman's type or the more expensive Scott Evest, could prove useful, also a collapsible drinking container, about one liter in size. This being ETS, by all means throw in a signal mirror to make Rafowell (and me) happy....

Have a good time!

#260993 - 05/28/13 07:59 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Gadget heaven!

Quote:
I can also budget several thousand dollars if necessary for emergency gear.

Irridium Satellite Phone. (to call your Lawyer)

Scuba Pony Bottle. (for your own Poseidon adventure)

Desalination Reverse Osmosis Pump (for when you need to quench you thirst)

Flexible solar PV panel (keeps your electronic charged)

Other items include things such as a solar shower etc.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/28/13 08:05 PM)

#260994 - 05/28/13 07:59 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I've recently started using a day pack that can be stuffed into its own lid pocket that may fit the bill for you. It's light & takes up very little space in a larger pack or suitcase and then can be un-stuffed when you are ready to use it. The one I have is a MEC Travel Light Top Loader, but that's a Canadian source.

Sea to Summit has something similar which you may want to look at, the Ultra-Sil Day Pack.

#260997 - 05/28/13 08:54 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Use a good plastic bag to line the pack and it will float very well if you close it well enough. Pack everything in plastic and your bag will float almost too well.

All of the basic necessities are the same, shelter, water, warmth, light, signaling, etc.

The desalinator is a good idea, but they are expensive.

One primary problem from most of the latest incidents is sanitation. Hand sanitizer, wipes, etc.

Satellite phone is also a good idea.

#260998 - 05/28/13 09:44 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I would highly recommend using a regular dry bag for the survival basics and extra food. Then THAT could go into a backpack. Would provide better and longer lasting floatation. Worst case you could remove the drybag and use the packpack for other items if deemed needed.

#260999 - 05/28/13 11:16 PM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: NuggetHoarder]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
There are companies that make dry bags that are day packs.Used by canoe and kayak fans for day trips.I can tell you for sure that if you have to life boats the crew will not let you bring luggage or bags of any kind.It has to be in your pockets or worn on the body if you want it with you.Life rafts only have room for people.Extra layer of clothes and fill your pockets would be my plan.Disembarking in a port grab the day pack and AM/Ex card........

BOATMAN
John

#261001 - 05/29/13 01:07 AM Re: Passenger's Emergency Bag for a Cruise Ship [Re: boatman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
How cold will the waters be where you are cruising? -specifically, water temps,not air. In cold water, a PFD is just a convenient way of retrieving corpses unless the person in the PFD is wearing some sort of wetsuit insulation. Since you mention that you have a generous budget you might consider some sort of light wet suit...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.