Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#260930 - 05/26/13 04:53 PM How to test Resqme?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I am wondering whether my Resqme still works. How can I test it without shattering glass?

I had a Benchmade window breaker that, if pressed again something hard like a cardboard, releases the spike. So I tried the same thing with my Resqme. Nothing happened. Maybe the cardboard isn't hard enough. I tried a thick stack of paper. Nothing -- maybe too much give? I tried a hard plastic. Still nothing. Do I have a broken Resqme?

Those of you with Resqme: how do you test yours?

#260931 - 05/26/13 05:09 PM Re: How to test Resqme? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There are little indentations on the wood of my workbench from where I've tested mine. Not as good as a glass test, but much cheaper.

#260933 - 05/26/13 05:12 PM Re: How to test Resqme? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i put the resqme on the edge of a table with the hole of the punch over the edge aand test it that way. If you shake it and you hear something rattle, the mechanisme is broke. Happend to one of mine. Emailed the company, but did not get any responce.

#260934 - 05/26/13 05:26 PM Re: How to test Resqme? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Mystery solved! My Resqme didn't reset properly the last time I tested it. As a consequence the pin wouldn't fire, and when I pressed down there was very little resistance. In other words, mine wasn't working.

To reset: I just pressed down on the plastic tube past being flush with the housing, and the mechanism reset itself. Now I can punch holes.

Thanks!

#260936 - 05/26/13 06:58 PM Re: How to test Resqme? [Re: ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If you want to test yours just to make sueit'll still fire with enough force....maybe see about finding a local junkyard. The police and fire department use junked cars to practice and test their stuff on all the time.

Well mine experience, if you put the resqme on glass and gently increase the pressure on the spring, it will eventually activate but might not shatter the glass. More success if you just hold in in your hands and give it a good whack. The spring power plus the power from your arms combined usually does the trick.

I wrote a little bit more about the resqme on mine blog.

#260980 - 05/28/13 02:19 PM Re: How to test Resqme? [Re: Tjin]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Tjin

Tjin, I read the following at your blog:

"- Cut the seat-belt in a 45 degree angle to minimize the chance of the webbing being bunching up and blocking the cutting action. A 90 degree cutting angles causes bunching up of the webbing."

That is an excellent point. Noted, and thanks!

A note about the LifeHammer: one of the advantages of a spring loaded device over something like the LifeHammer is that you don't have to be able to swing the Res-Q-Me. If you are injured, or the car is flooded with water, it can be very hard to swing the hammer-style tool.

#260981 - 05/28/13 02:44 PM Re: How to test Resqme? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
When I was in Spain a favorite tool of thieves who broke into cars was a spark plug. Apparently it doesn't take a lot of force to break a window if that force impacts at a single point. My Spyderco Assist 1 has a carbide tip that is exposed when you squeeze on the closed knife. It doesn't take a lot of force and it's much safer to wield than a Life Hammer IMO. I have a pair of leather/nomex gloves to provide a bit of protection from both the broken glass and any flames that may be present. Hopefully, I'm on the outside, but I keep that stuff in my truck's console if I'm on the inside.
$.02

#260982 - 05/28/13 03:05 PM Re: How to test Resqme? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: Tjin

Tjin, I read the following at your blog:

"- Cut the seat-belt in a 45 degree angle to minimize the chance of the webbing being bunching up and blocking the cutting action. A 90 degree cutting angles causes bunching up of the webbing."

That is an excellent point. Noted, and thanks!

A note about the LifeHammer: one of the advantages of a spring loaded device over something like the LifeHammer is that you don't have to be able to swing the Res-Q-Me. If you are injured, or the car is flooded with water, it can be very hard to swing the hammer-style tool.

It's fairly natural to cut the seat belt diagonally (45degree ish) when you cut your own seat belt. So i think most people do this without knowing it.

As for swinging, i'm not sure what is best. Mine experience is that you shouldn't be to gentle using a resqme. To weak and the window doesn't shatter, which mean I use a resqme with small swing.

I have never had to use it in a real crash, only on the training wrecks, so i can't comment on real use with injuries.

I prefer a simple resqme or lifehammer over other rescue knife, like the spyderco mentioned. They are fine for rescuers, but for an victim it's safer in use and easier to mount in a good place in the car.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.